Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

No-one here is a mouthpiece for DJI.
And you left out another alternative.
They could simply be intelligent enough to realise that this is no real imposition and the 3 minutes it takes doesn't even rate as something to get upset about.
Save your anger for things that really matter.

For those imagining they will be barred from flying for failing the test, I suspect DJI aren't that stupid.

Are you kidding? Our freedoms matter more than anything. Many countries don't have our freedoms. Give me liberty or give me death! Freedom is not free!!! You have to work to keep it and realize when people will complacently give it away.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?
Its kind of like the same reason they put a tag on a hair drier saying don't use in the shower.

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
As far as taking a test from the car manufactures, hmmmmm sounds like a good idea to me, the way some people drive, then they might know what that little lever on the left side of the steering column is!

This type of test seems likely to become mandatory in Australia (based on a recent CASA survey).

I think that DJI are just getting ahead of the pack.

To fly for work I was required to spend several days (and several thousand dollars) in a classroom followed by a half day skills test. During the classroom phase I learned that I had been ignorantly in breach of Australia Air Safety Regulations during recreational flights.

If it's a simple test that is designed to be informative, then I support it.

The test is not a bad idea.. very easy.. common sense for the better part. What I don’t like is every stinking time I start up it’s asking me to take the test again.. taken it 6+ plus times... anybody else with this problem?

I don't think that any of your points stand up to logical scrutiny. Have you ever stopped to wonder if the reason that the majority does not appear to agree with you might be because your arguments are flawed? The product capabilities only changed if you chose to upgrade the firmware and software. It's your choice to decide whether you want to accept the upgraded features, some of which have been additional restrictions. They have not removed functionality from anything that you bought - you did that yourself when you chose to upgrade.

And your examples represent DJI "overstepping" what, exactly? Not any laws that I'm aware of. Your expectations? Too bad then. Lot's of products fail to meet my expectations but I don't whine about it, I just choose different products. DJI is a commercial company trying to maximize its profits, not pander to your personal preferences or assuage your hurt feelings. The test of the success of their strategy is in their sales, which currently seem to be doing just fine.

If you are offended that the majority here have decided not to boycott DJI over this issue then I assume that you have already led by example and applied market pressure by switching to a different brand. How's that working out? Any good recommendations? Or are you just another sheep like the rest of us - just a complaining sheep?

Thanks for this post. It’s a great example of what I meant by “part of the problem”. But it’s also worse because not only do you not acknowledge the problem, you tell those that do try to spread awareness that they are overreacting and should just live with it because it doesn’t bother you much.

I don’t need to wonder why the majority doesn’t share my concerns. I know why. Some of them don’t understand the issue. Some are just lazy. Some are selfish and/or apathetic because the topic of the day doesn’t affect them - or doesn’t affect them “much” - and some of them are just trolls trying to get a rise out of anybody that will listen!

Fortunately - there are others here that do see the problems and have the intelligence to recognize WHY they are problems. And when one of them starts a thread that you don’t agree with - the polite thing to do (especially when you have nothing to contribute) would be to ignore it and move on - not jump in and tell them they’re wrong or over-reacting.

Oh - and ignoring firmware updates is not any kind of solution. Firmware updates correct important defects and are required to ensure your warranty is valid. They also don’t clearly call out new limitations that are also included in the firmware updates. If they separated their “bug fixes” from their “feature updates” - it would be a valid approach to take and people like me wouldn’t have as much to complain about.

Thanks for this post. It’s a great example of what I meant by “part of the problem”. But it’s also worse because not only do you not acknowledge the problem, you tell those that do try to spread awareness that they are overreacting and should just live with it because it doesn’t bother you much.

I don’t need to wonder why the majority doesn’t share my concerns. I know why. Some of them don’t understand the issue. Some are just lazy. Some are selfish and/or apathetic because the topic of the day doesn’t affect them - or doesn’t affect them “much” - and some of them are just trolls trying to get a rise out of anybody that will listen!

Fortunately - there are others here that do see the problems and have the intelligence to recognize WHY they are problems. And when one of them starts a thread that you don’t agree with - the polite thing to do (especially when you have nothing to contribute) would be to ignore it and move on - not jump in and tell them they’re wrong or over-reacting.

Oh - and ignoring firmware updates is not any kind of solution. Firmware updates correct important defects and are required to ensure your warranty is valid. They also don’t clearly call out new limitations that are also included in the firmware updates. If they separated their “bug fixes” from their “feature updates” - it would be a valid approach to take and people like me wouldn’t have as much to complain about.

I'm not saying you are overreacting. I'm saying that your arguments have no merit. They are your personal, misinformed opinions with no basis in law. And now you want me to politely ignore your fallacies rather than point them out? Interesting approach, but no. Even if your objections were reasonable, DJI is a private company with an absolute right to make bad business decisions. You don't get a vote on those except with your wallet, and I notice that you have conspicuously avoided confirming that you have done that.

Firmware updates updates are improvements, even those that are just bug fixes. And they are not required for warranty coverage - stop spreading nonsense.

Reactions: Meta4
According to DJI they developed the questions in consultation with the FAA, but there is no regulatory requirement in the US, at present, for such a test.
Its possible that DJI is doing this type of thing to so that governments will not place more safety regs on drone use. I've watched the BestBuy ad where the kid (maybe 10 yrs old) get a MP for Xmas. That kid is going to go out first thing and fly that bird! He is not going to spend a week or so learning all about it, he just wants to fly it. Not a good idea in my mind. Canada will have an age restriction in the regs. All the regs are annoying indeed, especially to those who fly responsibly with common sense. However, as with any laws/rules they are initiated by the behaviour of those who don't know or care about other's safety. Drones are being used for good and drones are being used for bad. If there are no laws then those doing harm cannot be held accountable. All of these requirements can be blamed on 'stupid/dangerous/illegal activity' use of drones. Not the governments fault, not DJI's fault, just users can be blamed. When Canada's laws come into effect in 2018, I most likely will have to take an exam to get a licence to fly. I had to get a licence to operate my fishing boat too. A 9 ft john boat with an electric motor used on small fishing lakes. These licences became a requirement because of people acting stupidly on the water. Unfortunately it is a 'one size fits all' type of law which really has nothing to do with me and my little boat, it applies to "watercraft" in general. Stopping at red traffic lights with no one in sight seems pointless too, but we do.:) For me, these are minor inconveniences of life.
My 2c. Just fly and have fun.

Its possible that DJI is doing this type of thing to so that governments will not place more safety regs on drone use. I've watched the BestBuy ad where the kid (maybe 10 yrs old) get a MP for Xmas. That kid is going to go out first thing and fly that bird! He is not going to spend a week or so learning all about it, he just wants to fly it. Not a good idea in my mind. Canada will have an age restriction in the regs. All the regs are annoying indeed, especially to those who fly responsibly with common sense. However, as with any laws/rules they are initiated by the behaviour of those who don't know or care about other's safety. Drones are being used for good and drones are being used for bad. If there are no laws then those doing harm cannot be held accountable. All of these requirements can be blamed on 'stupid/dangerous/illegal activity' use of drones. Not the governments fault, not DJI's fault, just users can be blamed. When Canada's laws come into effect in 2018, I most likely will have to take an exam to get a licence to fly. I had to get a licence to operate my fishing boat too. A 9 ft john boat with an electric motor used on small fishing lakes. These licences became a requirement because of people acting stupidly on the water. Unfortunately it is a 'one size fits all' type of law which really has nothing to do with me and my little boat, it applies to "watercraft" in general. Stopping at red traffic lights with no one in sight seems pointless too, but we do.:) For me, these are minor inconveniences of life.
My 2c. Just fly and have fun.

Right - I think there is no doubt at all that DJI is trying to head off potential levels of regulation that could seriously impact the market for consumer UAVs. For example, if Congress overturns Public Law 112-95, Section 336 and the FAA starts regulating all UAV flights even close to the current 14 CFR Part 107 regulations, then the market will tank.

I'm conflicted on this issue. The reason that we have access to this technology at such remarkably low price points is that companies like DJI can recoup significant investment by volume of sales. On the other hand, from an NAS safety perspective I think that until robust, engineered controls are in place to prevent conflict with other air traffic, more regulation is indicated, which would inhibit progress and raise prices as the market for UAVs decreases again.

This is just another step on infringing into one's freedom. Dummy up please! It has nothing to do with the 3-5 minutes to take the miserable test.
Why is it that if you belong to the American Modeler's Association and pay your annual fee you are insured and may fly at any of their certified club fields? No exam necessary for anything. Just pay and fly.
OH! In the RC world there are many vertical flight aircraft, like scale models of turbine helicopters with a real turbine engine four times the size and speed of a Phantom. Only self-imposed restrictions on the pilot not from any manufacturer. I guess one solution is a little like an IED. Build it yourself and let your conscience be your guide.
By the way, they are producing 3 axis stabilization receivers for RC models that will make them almost as easy to fly as a Phantom. Its very close to the time when anyone can by a flying model, from within the RC world, and fly without fear of crashing. Are you going to have anyone who buys such and aircraft take a test first or require a part 107?
A previous poster was correct...give em an inch and they'll take a mile.

This is just another step on infringing into one's freedom. Dummy up please! It has nothing to do with the 3-5 minutes to take the miserable test.
Why is it that if you belong to the American Modeler's Association and pay your annual fee you are insured and may fly at any of their certified club fields? No exam necessary for anything. Just pay and fly.
OH! In the RC world there are many vertical flight aircraft, like scale models of turbine helicopters with a real turbine engine four times the size and speed of a Phantom. Only self-imposed restrictions on the pilot not from any manufacturer. I guess one solution is a little like an IED. Build it yourself and let your conscience be your guide.
By the way, they are producing 3 axis stabilization receivers for RC models that will make them almost as easy to fly as a Phantom. Its very close to the time when anyone can by a flying model, from within the RC world, and fly without fear of crashing. Are you going to have anyone who buys such and aircraft take a test first or require a part 107?
A previous poster was correct...give em an inch and they'll take a mile.
You are so right on. Great example.
Amazing that there are people that can't see basic principles.

You are so right on. Great example.
Amazing that there are people that can't see basic principles.

Once again, no - this is a company making business decisions, not a government or any other authority infringing on your freedoms. What's amazing is that you cannot tell the difference.

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
No you don't have to take an exam to by a Ford, Chevy, or any other car. But, you can't drive it until you take an exam for your driving license. I'm 72 years old, and have been driving since I was 16. But last week I had to renew my license, and I had to take a written test. It's just part of the system. I first read the book cover to cover. There was a lot of new stuff in there. I don't think I would have passed the test had I not read the book first.

i would really rather DJI and other drone manufacturers ask for your 107 license number before launch or else your ceiling is limited to say 150ft AGL and range of 250ft. This would generate more business for part 107 pilots!

You took a test. It's called a driver's test and every so many years you have to retake.

About 3 years ago I had to demonstrate my chain saw skills before the store would sell me a chain saw.

If it helps educate someone inexperienced in some of the rules, what is your issue? People not knowing all the rules is what is going to force unneeded laws.

These 10 pages have been a time consuming and rather tedious read. To me, the main point is that if DJI wants to impose a requirement to fly, DJI needs to be up front before purchase is made. The least sinister scenario would be that this is a conflict between their marketing and their lawyers.

I seem to remember, early in the conversation, this was an issue with recent purchases. Or, is it being imposed through the update process?

When I bought my P4P, in April I think, I did the initial update. Due in part to previous discussions of problems and restrictions some had with updates, I have not updated since. I don't allow my iPad to access wifi, so it will not automatically do anything I don't want it to.

BTW, I'm firmly in the camp of policing myself, not having it imposed on me.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart