Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

My P3a is jailbroken (early firmware) and locked down to an ipad.
When it breaks, I will not buy any DJI product, they are no longer a palatable company to buy from.

If they don't disclose this requirement to the buyer in advance f money changing hands, with a sign-off that they agree, they have crossed a line, even if with good intent. If DJI is truly out for the pilot's good, and not just covering their own butts, why not do it with integrity??

That has been my point all along. Disclosure! I am not against a Knowledge Test what I am against is that you do not find out about this before you make the purchase. Another issue with their policies is that they advertise that the product has a range of miles and yet they do not tell you that they control the amount of distance that they will allow you to go.

Wrong. You do have to have a drivers lic to buy the car and drive it. Just my 2 cents.

Comments like this one prove that the people that make them are missing the point the OP is trying to make. He is not saying that there should not be a test to pass before you fly. He is saying that the Drone manufacturer should not be the one that forces that test on you. That’s where your car/drivers license comparison falls apart.

For the comparison to be valid - Ford would allow you to drive your car 4 times without a license and then refuse to move until you passed a driving test they created and presented on your dashboard.

I think it’s great that drone operators should have to pass a test before they can operate their drone - but I don’t think that DJI should be the ones to make that decision and enforce it. Once they sell you the product - it’s yours and it’s none of their business how you operate it. Those issues are between the pilot and local law enforcement.

Toyota did not make the decision that someone must have a drivers license in order to purchase a car. Your government did. Toyota is simply respecting the local laws when they require you to have a license before purchasing their product.

Those that don’t see that difference are a big part of the problem. DJI is clearly overstepping their authority with this requirement - and it doesn’t matter if it’s only a 2 minute inconvenience. It’s setting/affirming a precedent that takes rights away from consumers.

What if - for safety reasons - DJI relied on internet weather data to determine that conditions (or forecast) were not optimal for flight in your area today - and then refused to let you fly until the weather cleared up. Would you all complain then? Or would you just accept that too?

WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?
Can you give a screen shot or tell some of the sorts of things it was asking, number of questions, multiple choice, etc.

personally I don't see a problem here a lot of items or things we do require some basic skills to keep us out of trouble if you have just paid a hefty price for your machine whatever it is to be able to control it safely is a bonus I have seen people set a craft into flight and then watched it disappear into the sunset never to be seen again. having said that it would be good though to take the test before you buy

Just shows that some people will go over the top about the most trivial things.
btw ... Spyware?? I've not heard anyone suggest that DJI is delivering spyware before.

Check the data use sometime, particularly OUTbound data on GO and GO4... not sure whats going on there, but my uploaded data is always greater than downloaded.

FWIW, I'm not trying to make crazy, paranoid claims here... just food for thought. With all the permissions GO and GO4 demands, they *could* do pretty much anything they want as far as spying is concerned. Gotta hit Accept to fly unfortunately...

The more experience i get with DJI, the more I wish I'd just stayed with homebrewing quads and dragonfly hex's. 1984 is literally becoming a pipe dream folks.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I can't believe that given the increasing realities of regulations and restrictions in the world of drones that some people are so vehemently flipping out about the realities of a CYA safety test (that takes literally minutes to complete) but shows some effort on behalf of a major drone manufacturer to instil safety on drone pilots.

I guess some just want more and more clueless idiots out there buying drones and doing stupid things with them until the hobby is regulated out of existence, of laws become so tough that flying anywhere other than 100 miles from the nearest point of civilization becomes the only option.

I think it is a great idea. Not much different than some states requiring you to take a safety course and obtain a special license when you buy an ATV. Not everyone who buys a drone is an expert pilot. Drones are still relatively new technology in this price point range and I would wager most buyers have never flown one. I think DJI is acting responsibly initiating this program.

The same people that scream freedom are the ones who think a private company shouldn’t be able to do whatever they want with their product. Ugh...

I miss the good old days where the general public was out of the hobby. The amount of conspiracy theorist and pilots who can’t pass a 2 minute test is too **** high.
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

This is just the latest in DJI overstepping. People here are too lazy to bother getting upset about things which don’t affect them much. Not many on this forum bother to look at the big picture or the implications of the latest overstep - and so DJI continues to do whatever they want - changing their products capabilities well after the sale has been made. Well after any warranties have expired.

The ones I’ve taken notice of have been the introduction of a flight ceiling. This was ignored by most people because there were already government regulations about altitude limits - and not many people wanted to go that high - but it’s still a valid example of DJI changing capabilities of the product after it was purchased.

Then there was the time they decided to eliminate competition in the battery market. Thousands of owners had purchased aftermarket batteries for their Phantom’s and DJI modifier their firmware to detect this and refuse to fly. Those that hadn’t purchased after-market batteries welcomed this change with open arms - again because it didn’t affect them. Everyone accepted the premise that “all aftermarket batteries are inferior and will cause a crash” - yet few (if any) actual crashes were proven to be caused by a defective aftermarket battery.

Then - they introduced No Fly Zone restrictions. Suddenly, the drone you purchased - that you could use anywhere - now wouldn’t work in entire cities and many other areas.

These are all prior examples of DJI overstepping. They should just focus on making the best, most reliable flying machine they can until governments mandate that they include additional features to comply with regulations.

They should have no right to arbitrarily remove functionality from the existing devices that they have already sold.

It bothers me that they are allowed to get away with this, but the majority of pilots here have already weighed in with their opinions - and the consensus seems to be “bahhhhh! bahhhh!”

I think it is a great idea. Not much different than some states requiring you to take a safety course and obtain a special license when you buy an ATV. Not everyone who buys a drone is an expert pilot. Drones are still relatively new technology in this price point range and I would wager most buyers have never flown one. I think DJI is acting responsibly initiating this program.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the Knowledge Test. The questions are simple and you should understand the safety guidelines before you go up into the air. I think the point is, for me anyway and I am Part 107 certified, is that there is no disclosure to the purchaser beforehand. I feel that DJI should put it out there before the purchase that you have to take a knowledge test before you can fly it would have a greater impact. A prospective purchaser would most likely look into the rules and guidelines before he made the purchase. That would have more of an impact in that most would realize that flying is a serious matter.

A test and a license *are* great ideas. But just like your ATV - they should be created and administered by local governments and NOT by the manufacturer.

And the other difference is that the manufacturer of your ATV does not physically prevent you from operating your ATV if you do not have a license or fail the test. You pay a fine to the government when you’re caught by the government.

Again. I don’t think anyone is saying that there shouldn’t be a test. The distinction here is that it should be a local government responsibility. It shouldn’t be a corporation in China that creates, administers and enforces these rules on you.

This is just the latest in DJI overstepping. People here are too lazy to bother getting upset about things which don’t affect them much. Not many on this forum bother to look at the big picture or the implications of the latest overstep - and so DJI continues to do whatever they want - changing their products capabilities well after the sale has been made. Well after any warranties have expired.

The ones I’ve taken notice of have been the introduction of a flight ceiling. This was ignored by most people because there were already government regulations about altitude limits - and not many people wanted to go that high - but it’s still a valid example of DJI changing capabilities of the product after it was purchased.

Then there was the time they decided to eliminate competition in the battery market. Thousands of owners had purchased aftermarket batteries for their Phantom’s and DJI modifier their firmware to detect this and refuse to fly. Those that hadn’t purchased after-market batteries welcomed this change with open arms - again because it didn’t affect them. Everyone accepted the premise that “all aftermarket batteries are inferior and will cause a crash” - yet few (if any) actual crashes were proven to be caused by a defective aftermarket battery.

Then - they introduced No Fly Zone restrictions. Suddenly, the drone you purchased - that you could use anywhere - now wouldn’t work in entire cities and many other areas.

These are all prior examples of DJI overstepping. They should just focus on making the best, most reliable flying machine they can until governments mandate that they include additional features to comply with regulations.

They should have no right to arbitrarily remove functionality from the existing devices that they have already sold.

It bothers me that they are allowed to get away with this, but the majority of pilots here have already weighed in with their opinions - and the consensus seems to be “bahhhhh! bahhhh!”

I don't think that any of your points stand up to logical scrutiny. Have you ever stopped to wonder if the reason that the majority does not appear to agree with you might be because your arguments are flawed? The product capabilities only changed if you chose to upgrade the firmware and software. It's your choice to decide whether you want to accept the upgraded features, some of which have been additional restrictions. They have not removed functionality from anything that you bought - you did that yourself when you chose to upgrade.

And your examples represent DJI "overstepping" what, exactly? Not any laws that I'm aware of. Your expectations? Too bad then. Lot's of products fail to meet my expectations but I don't whine about it, I just choose different products. DJI is a commercial company trying to maximize its profits, not pander to your personal preferences or assuage your hurt feelings. The test of the success of their strategy is in their sales, which currently seem to be doing just fine.

If you are offended that the majority here have decided not to boycott DJI over this issue then I assume that you have already led by example and applied market pressure by switching to a different brand. How's that working out? Any good recommendations? Or are you just another sheep like the rest of us - just a complaining sheep?

Reactions: Meta4
I have to admit this does throw up some concerns, not at passing the test, but at how easy it will be for them to ground you, also the fact there is no mention of this when you buy the Drone, there is also no legal requirement at this time to take a test,

It would be interesting if someone was to buy a drone and not take the test, but then sue DJI for grounding their bird, as they are blackmailing you into doing something not listed when you purchase, and not required by any law.

The DJI Go app is not the only app one can use to fly their Phantoms

I have to admit this does throw up some concerns, not at passing the test, but at how easy it will be for them to ground you, also the fact there is no mention of this when you buy the Drone, there is also no legal requirement at this time to take a test,

It would be interesting if someone was to buy a drone and not take the test, but then sue DJI for grounding their bird, as they are blackmailing you into doing something not listed when you purchase, and not required by any law.

Keep in mind everyone that DJI sells WORLDWIDE and laws differ across the globe.

for instance maybe this has to do with the UK imposing new rules for drones soon
UK drone users to sit safety tests.

don't know for sure but for those comparing cars and the drone I ask.
when did you last "send" that ford, GM etc car on a flight by ITSELF above homes and people running on a program and a battery?

the terms in the app and all will confirm they can do this and have done similar things for years now as the abilities and concerns have come been updated

good luck and have fun flying!

Last edited:
I fully understand the concept of the test. For one, it reinstates the safety rules to the owner. Secondly, it says DJI has done its part in trying to make the consumer fly responsibly. My question would be, will the exam influence the way you would fly the Spark with or without taking an exam.

I guess we should have a test for driving a different model of new car for the first time, or I've never tried these fancy new shoes before, take the test, or, I just bought this new shotgun, take the test, and how bout this fine bottle of spirits, take the test, or how to safely open a can of beer? Pretty soon, they will have a DMV for drones. I think this comes down to treating everyone like children where DJI is a parenting authority and that is not the role of DJI. In China, they tell you where you work, how much you get paid, how long to work, when to retire and that's it. No choices. I have a friend from there. There is a point of ridiculousness. DJI needs to stop controlling Americans in our land. We can buy their products but don't control us. Most Americans are responsible people, but there will ALWAYS be those who are not. Don't lose your liberty/freedoms for the caveat of safety or security. That is how we will lose it all.

Not a stretch for me to understand and agree with DJI’s action here. They are simply protecting their business and indirectly helping to protect our ability to fly drones in the US.

Pretty oblivious that there is a possible upcoming battle between drone pilots and government entities in numerous countries with the assured winner being the government entities. What we can do now is police ourselves in order to help keep drones out of the “dirty word” realm. I have to believe that is also DJI’s intent. This new test is simply their way to show they are after the very new pilot that has decided to act on the impulse to get ‘er in the air as quick after opening the box as possible. To heck with public safety and studying the rules/good sense measures, they want to get skyborne. At least the test slows them down a bit and may actually make a safer pilot out of them. For the non-novices, the test is 30 seconds out of our lives and a good reminder just how important the material covered really is. So, I am very OK WITH THIS TEST.

Reactions: Meta4
Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
It is a very strange situation that we live in a country where you can buy a gun that is designed to kill without taking a test or having a licence
However to drive a car that is designed to be safe from the get go, and can park, break and even drive itself you need a test!
Just saying!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart