Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

I'm about to watch the Dallas game. I hate Dallas. But I will watch the game because I've been in the DC area for a long time. But I have at least 10 friends who are adamant that they will not watch another NFL game due to the whole kneeling thing (they are all vets, so am I). And I completely understand their position.

Maybe we're getting a little off the subject...
Yup, my apologies.

I'm about to watch the Dallas game. I hate Dallas. But I will watch the game because I've been in the DC area for a long time. But I have at least 10 friends who are adamant that they will not watch another NFL game due to the whole kneeling thing (they are all vets, so am I). And I completely understand their position.

Maybe we're getting a little off the subject...

Thank You to all of our VETS!!

I've not watched a single NFL game in 2years now.. by choice... but yes a lot of topic LOL!

Come on gang... back on "Taking the DJI exam" please.

Reactions: dirkclod and sar104
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

Here we go, The FAA has reinstated the mandatory registration for fly for fun pilots, it will take affect sometime in 2018.
These drones are toys not automobiles, I have not heard of 2 victims dead do to toy drone crash. If these things are so dangerous treat them like automobiles. Take a driver license test, you must be 16 yrs. of age and take a written and a flying test on a course setup by the FAA. The people that fail to comply will be fined or put them in jail, The Feds don't play around.
The Toy Drone World has turn into a big joke. Buy your kid a train set this christmas and spare he or she from this extremely dangerous hobby.
Just my opinion
P.S. I don't fly anymore, I got into a safe hobby 1/5 gas trucks that way 40 lbs. with speeds up to 60 miles per hour, anyone gets hit buy one of these will have serious injuries. It funny no registrations or age limits. How did the government over look this.
Best Regard
William E. Burrows
Ex-Fly for fun pilot

...it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! ... DJI really has gone over the top...

ABSOLUTELY. It is hard to believe that some cannot see the "writing on the wall." We've bread a generation of people who'd hand their personal freedom over to anyone who tells them to "beg," or "roll over!" Not at gunpoint, mind you, but just ... "because" they're extorted into it. It is truly a different species (at least in these once United States)! Their ancestors once cried "give me (personal) freedom or give me death! Wow...what a load!

Once the recent register or DO NOT FLY rules from DJI went into effect I decided NOT to buy another DJI product. How many would/could do that ... make a PERSONAL SACRIFICE to change things? IF everyone just said "This ends now, no more sales," how long would DJI hold out? They'd buckle in an instant. However, this is NOT going to happen. Those who did boycott would be in the minority, and those who didn't would TAKE that advantage (until they couldn't any more) to 'make money' letting others pay the price for their 'freedom.'

In reality, I am not surprised. In our American Revolution, in reality only 10% supported the war against Britain. The rest KNEW that if the revolution failed ... (treasonous) "heads would roll!" This FEAR worked, as less than 2% actually put their lives on the line for that same Revolution.

So it is really a surprise that almost no one is taking this mimi-tyrannical action seriously and saying 'enough is enough?"

There are only TWO kinds of laws. One type punished CRIMES committed against others, or harmful, dangerous acts. The OTHER KING OF LAW punishes one for breaking ANY LAW that happens to be considered a law by whomever holds the biggest stick! This example of Chinese anti-freedom is about what you'd expect from major company embedded in a (let's face it people ... it's still a) Communist country: a MONOPOLY that makes plastic propellor-powered flying toys?!

But who is empowering this behavior? Who is to blame? People who will not stand united against anything at all, if it costs them ANYTHING ... personally.

Sadly, high resolution cameras flying around in the sky are a menace to only one thing really: the tyranny of power. Forget flying bombs, these are really, primarily only FLYING EYES IN THE SKY. And yet is this not a potential "tactical weapon?" Hence, the rapidly escalating restriction. This is why the technology is now in the hands of Chinese (and I am sure American and European) police to down them where they fly, anytime. Last years total restriction on ANYTHING in the air (including kites for Pete's sake!) when the Chinese President visited Hong Kong, only demonstrates this reality!

Now, all of this is being watched, recorded and noted. If you kiss **** here YOU may not be targeted (for now) as a possible trouble maker. So, by all means stay quiet, do as your bid, and kiss the hand that is slowly strangling you. The future is only the past repeating itself.

How long before NO DJI 'drones' — in a specific area of the world — will NOT FLY when someone in China simply pushes a master button? Laughing now? I am not!

Last edited by a moderator:
No I’m a human with rational and logical thoughts in my brain who doesn’t overreact when logical attempts to mitigate risk are presented.

What you apparently are not is someone who looks down the road and gets it ... the future is what you make NOW, extended on down the road of time. It is a mistake to allow ANY company to RESTRICT what you can do with the product you buy from them.

Simple example:

What if your car did not start in the morning because a sensor in the driver's compartment decided it detected the presence of alcohol: this, because you had just eaten a rum cordial, and you were late to work ... and because of this you lost your job? Would you remain so compliant to corporate tyranny then?

Think about it?

Reactions: Gary E
WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?
Hummm, is the test will different in Canada ? We have different rules?

The quiz was no big deal. Lots of people probably needed it and now they cant use the excuse... well I didn't know.

If you don't like DJI's policies, I'm sure you could sell it and buy a Karma or something else. Matter of fact if you do want to sell yours, let me know.

What you apparently are not is someone who looks down the road and gets it ... the future is what you make NOW, extended on down the road of time. It is a mistake to allow ANY company to RESTRICT what you can do with the product you buy from them.

Simple example:

What if your car did not start in the morning because a sensor in the driver's compartment decided it detected the presence of alcohol: this, because you had just eaten a rum cordial, and you were late to work ... and because of this you lost your job? Would you remain so compliant to corporate tyranny then?

Think about it?

Would you rather they regulate them or ban them completely?

Here we go, The FAA has reinstated the mandatory registration for fly for fun pilots, it will take affect sometime in 2018.
These drones are toys not automobiles, I have not heard of 2 victims dead do to toy drone crash. If these things are so dangerous treat them like automobiles. Take a driver license test, you must be 16 yrs. of age and take a written and a flying test on a course setup by the FAA. The people that fail to comply will be fined or put them in jail, The Feds don't play around.
The Toy Drone World has turn into a big joke. Buy your kid a train set this christmas and spare he or she from this extremely dangerous hobby.
Just my opinion
P.S. I don't fly anymore, I got into a safe hobby 1/5 gas trucks that way 40 lbs. with speeds up to 60 miles per hour, anyone gets hit buy one of these will have serious injuries. It funny no registrations or age limits. How did the government over look this.
Best Regard
William E. Burrows
Ex-Fly for fun pilot

This is a completely different issue than the subject of the thread. It’s really not surprising that the FAA wants to regulate UAVs that are capable of interfering with regular traffic in the NAS, and that are large enough to cause significant damage if they collide with that traffic. Your alternative hobby is probably not a good comparison, unless you are driving those trucks on open public roads or around pedestrians.

I don’t see how this is a bad thing in any way shape or form. Promoting safety is what the industry needs. It’s a proactive move by DJI to provide this. I’m sure if you failed you would have to take the test again until you passed it... makes sense to me

I already made the step of registering with FAA and now I also have to take an exam that is not regulated by any federal agency. Who forbid me not to fly if you do not have federal support. If someone can answer me with some justification that I can be convinced to take it that way. I also want you to tell me where I have access to the exam I will be extremely grateful. Thank you.

It is better to not update. I have not updated for more than six months and do not have any problems or NFZ's or stupid silly quiz before flying.

I already made the step of registering with FAA and now I also have to take an exam that is not regulated by any federal agency. Who forbid me not to fly if you do not have federal support. If someone can answer me with some justification that I can be convinced to take it that way. I also want you to tell me where I have access to the exam I will be extremely grateful. Thank you.
Here's some relevant info from DJI:
“DJI sees the Knowledge Quiz as an extension of this effort, helping ensure drone pilots know basic safety rules. We are grateful to have collaborated with the FAA in designing the quiz to ensure pilots fly safely.”

In its U.S. implementation, all DJI pilots will be presented with a list of nine questions, and must correctly answer all of them in order to be able to fly. Pilots can continue answering new questions until they successfully pass the Knowledge Quiz. The Knowledge Quiz will initially be available in the U.S. in an update to the DJI GO 4 app at the end of October. It will be expanded to other countries in the near future, using questions customized for each country’s rules and guidelines.

Reactions: dirkclod
Did everybody get the DC FRZ question? I was wondering about that since I'm in the DC SFRA. I mean, what do the pilots in North Dakota care about the DC area? Was that a blanket question or was it targeted to me because of my location?

I don’t believe they have the authority and they overstepped their boundaries. We have our people who make the rules and license us. There is a proper structure to things. They just confuse things. Maybe it makes them feel good. You are right to feel the way you do. It is not trivial. DJI is a control freak!
When you give in a little, they always want more.

Every considered its a way to protect DJI from lawsuits due to operation of there device? Thanks to the chuckleheads around the globe doing stupid things is the reason we are being overwhelmed with knee jerk reaction to appease the public.

Did everybody get the DC FRZ question? I was wondering about that since I'm in the DC SFRA. I mean, what do the pilots in North Dakota care about the DC area? Was that a blanket question or was it targeted to me because of my location?

I loaded the latest Go app onto another device just to take a look at the quiz, and I did get the question about restrictions in DC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart