Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

SAWSTOP Sawblade in action:

Also:
I am a woodworker and this is great tech. But if you activate the sawstop it costs a fortune to replace the mechanism. The best way to avoid losing a finger is to use assorted push blocks and don't get your hands anywhere near the blade. For the small stuff you use a sled. Why did you post this? Are you a woodworker or just a tech fan?

I am a woodworker and this is great tech. But if you activate the sawstop it costs a fortune to replace the mechanism. The best way to avoid losing a finger is to use assorted push blocks and don't get your hands anywhere near the blade. For the small stuff you use a sled. Why did you post this? Are you a woodworker or just a tech fan?

Well, in a round about way both... I "dabble" with various wood projects but nothing complicated or fancy at all. I've built dozens (or more) wooden R/C airplanes so small/delicate wood working I've had a lot more experience with.

Yes I am a fan of tech but more importantly I was just replying to someone's post about that saw and how it stops the millisecond it touches a human finger.

How many times have you purchased a product with seemingly absurd warning labels on the product like hair dryers that warn the buyer not to use it in the shower or the label on Preparation H warning the buyer that the product should not be used orally? Because there are a heap of duffusses out there that have done exactly that. Sadly, some of those duffusses have bought drones and ripped the box open and launched it without a single care in the world for themselves, passers-by or their drone. We have all read their posts on this forum complaining about what a lemon the got from DJI. How it failed to perform up to their expectations. Take the exam. If you can't pass it give your drone to some kid as a gift. He/she will pass the exam and probably even read the instruction manual.

You are right. Another more basic issue is this: Even with the exams, tests, built in distance and height limitations, etc., There are still going to be accidents from "duffusses" and experienced with brain farts and equipment failures. Just look at General Aviation. Look at the Automobile Industry. The problem with new misunderstood technologies like drones, is that accidents of a certain kind and visibility are publicized to the Nth degree-- they go "viral." An ignorant public destined to snap judgments responds in predictable ways. The very unassuming influence of media further corrupts the opinion of the masses regarding drones by NO CONTEXT. It's bad enough that "drones" are used by the military to kill people. There's the threat of bringing down an airliner, as well. Serious paranoia fodder. So, unless you can figure out a way to influence the public and government lawmakers into going against their baser impulses, we as drone pilots are in for a long climb. Things will get worse before they get better, I'll predict. I personally think the existing restrictions are horrible, but in the larger context we are lucky to have what limited freedom we have.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Well, in a round about way both... I "dabble" with various wood projects but nothing complicated or fancy at all. I've built dozens (or more) wooden R/C airplanes so small/delicate wood working I've had a lot more experience with.

Yes I am a fan of tech but more importantly I was just replying to someone's post about that saw and how it stops the millisecond it touches a human finger.

I think you've touched on the problem for me. At some point experience ruining accident reduction methods to the point that the reason for doing something in the first place is gone, or relying on personal responsibility of operators to mitigate risk. Neither is perfect and the inevitable accident that changes public perception will change. Unless we want to get a lobbying agency akin to the NRA to protect us.... Maybe we could hire the NRA to do Drone PR for us? They seem pretty successful at preventing over bearing gun control in spite of some very rational thought that suggest we need more gun control.

I think you've touched on the problem for me. At some point experience ruining accident reduction methods to the point that the reason for doing something in the first place is gone, or relying on personal responsibility of operators to mitigate risk. Neither is perfect and the inevitable accident that changes public perception will change. Unless we want to get a lobbying agency akin to the NRA to protect us.... Maybe we could hire the NRA to do Drone PR for us? They seem pretty successful at preventing over bearing gun control in spite of some very rational thought that suggest we need more gun control.
Don't start a gun control debate. It implies, Calling others irrational because they don't believe as you do.

It is just amazing, almost magic. Heck 10 years ago our drones would have been something out of Star Wars. Happy woodworking and watch those fingers!

Reactions: BigAl07
Personally, as much as I dislike people (government) interfering with my daily life, I can't find fault with DJI. I thought the test was simple and all it did is to remind me of some basics. While I am a new drone pilot I do, and always have felt that there are so many people out there with very little self-discipline and that translates to people not obeying the rules and causing hazards to others. I just want to fly my drone and do it safely. If a person can't do that then we need to stop them. Get over it. It's only a few minutes of your life. By us self-regulating ourselves it might just might keep the FAA and everyone else out of our business.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
It is just amazing, almost magic. Heck 10 years ago our drones would have been something out of Star Wars. Happy woodworking and watch those fingers!
That they would have been, they would have been of great help for me in what I was doing with security surveying, I was always trying to push the tech boundaries and educate our clients to get the best CCTV systems that they could afford, I retired just before the advent of HD recording and IP/networked camera systems were the cutting edge. Ah but now I have retired I can indulge in R/C aircraft by way of having a P4P but legislation is catching up and putting more regulation into how we can fly our aircraft, just now I'm in Belgium and will be here with my new wife's family and kids and I cannot legally fly my P4P as it is too heavy to pass as a toy and my Syma as a toy I'm limited to my back garden and 10m above it, now I am reading that back home in the UK I will soon have to pass a test and register my drone to be able to fly recreationally. All down to a few folk that decided that it is more fun to fly over the runways at Gatwick and Heathrow :(

At least I'm enjoying woodwork, had never tried it until after I was retired and that my wife is into renovating old houses I had to learn quickly - have router will travel :) My grandfather and great grandfather were both wood workers, in 1919 my grandfather was the foreman joiner at the Argyll Motor Works in Alexandria, and during WW2 my father was a pattern maker in a shipyard working in both wood and metal. My great grandfather made wooden clogs for the silk dying mills in the Vale of Leven in the 1800s going on to have a string of shops in a few towns north of Glasgow.

That they would have been, they would have been of great help for me in what I was doing with security surveying, I was always trying to push the tech boundaries and educate our clients to get the best CCTV systems that they could afford, I retired just before the advent of HD recording and IP/networked camera systems were the cutting edge. Ah but now I have retired I can indulge in R/C aircraft by way of having a P4P but legislation is catching up and putting more regulation into how we can fly our aircraft, just now I'm in Belgium and will be here with my new wife's family and kids and I cannot legally fly my P4P as it is too heavy to pass as a toy and my Syma as a toy I'm limited to my back garden and 10m above it, now I am reading that back home in the UK I will soon have to pass a test and register my drone to be able to fly recreationally. All down to a few folk that decided that it is more fun to fly over the runways at Gatwick and Heathrow :(

At least I'm enjoying woodwork, had never tried it until after I was retired and that my wife is into renovating old houses I had to learn quickly - have router will travel :) My grandfather and great grandfather were both wood workers, in 1919 my grandfather was the foreman joiner at the Argyll Motor Works in Alexandria, and during WW2 my father was a pattern maker in a shipyard working in both wood and metal. My great grandfather made wooden clogs for the silk dying mills in the Vale of Leven in the 1800s going on to have a string of shops in a few towns north of Glasgow.

They were professions woodworkers and it makes me feel humble. But I am self taught and actually pretty good. If you need to learn something just go to YouTube and look it up. I learned most everything that way - and a lot of practice.
Pretty soon we won't be able to fly our drones anywhere so we have to enjoy them while we can

Reactions: Alicatt
They were professions woodworkers and it makes me feel humble. But I am self taught and actually pretty good. If you need to learn something just go to YouTube and look it up. I learned most everything that way - and a lot of practice.
Pretty soon we won't be able to fly our drones anywhere so we have to enjoy them while we can
An example of my grandfather's work, picture taken in 1954 in France by my uncle. He took a saloon car and cut it up, put a new roof on it and made the woodwork for the back turning it into a station wagon, as of 2 years ago it was still on the road being used daily. In 1954 my uncle took the car through France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and back home to Scotland through England :)
Tm7SBFl.jpg

As a Part 107 cert pilot, I don’t approve of the test. Make APs take a test prior to startup.

I choose, at this time, to say on 4.1.17 and IOS 10.3.3 due to STABILITY.

I do understand where this is coming from......FAA Pilot Integration Program, et al. When STABILITY has met my approval I’ll update and take the test.

Sometimes we have to think beyond our own specific circumstances and consider that there are folks out there that may the money to but a product but lack the good sense to use it properly. You are a part 107 certified pilot... Good for you but how does the seller of a product know that? If you are a part 107 certified pilot you can breeze thru the quiz in less than a minute or you can keep on hugging that tree.

Reactions: Myetkt and BigAl07
Sometimes we have to think beyond our own specific circumstances and consider that there are folks out there that may the money to but a product but lack the good sense to use it properly. You are a part 107 certified pilot... Good for you but how does the seller of a product know that? If you are a part 107 certified pilot you can breeze thru the quiz in less than a minute or you can keep on hugging that tree.
I said I will take the test......I just dont approve of it. Don’t need that tree hugging remark.

I don’t think anyone said the test was too long or hard. That has never been the issue. You kind of miss the point. What does tree hugging have to do with anything?

Reactions: rvrrat14
Has everyone had to take the test or is it just random?
For me it was just random. I hadn' t flown my Phantom 3 for a couple of weeks. I went to fly it and I had to take the test. Of course, it was simple but it took some time away from flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT