Foam thing behind gimbal...

Reaction score
Got my P3P today and forgot to take that white foam thing off whilst powered up for 5 minutes. Was that bad? Did that "lock" something in place and put a strain on it?!

Thanks,

KMD

Its should say on it 'remove before flight' - throw it in the bin, don't worry, go fly.

When I first got my p3 I used to power it up forgetting to take off the big plastic gimbal guard/holder- quite a few times with no issues

Definitely not good for it, but likely no permanent damage done. You'll know soon enough, once you start using the gimbal in flight, if there are any issues.

Its should say on it 'remove before flight' - throw it in the bin, don't worry, go fly.

When I first got my p3 I used to power it up forgetting to take off the big plastic gimbal guard/holder- quite a few times with no issues
How come I didn't see your reply a minute ago?! Anyhow, thanks for the info.

I agree that my Gimbal should be fine. I didn't even fly like that, it was just on the bench without even moving the P3 much. I picked it up once and that was it.

I maiden it tomorrow and we will see.

Thanks,

Kmd

Put it in you pre flight check list. To many times puts a strain on the potentiometer and can eventually cause damage. Best to put a ribbon or tag on as someone said to remind you to pull the protector off before powering up.

I forgot the foam piece as well during the first power up. Removed the big plastic guard, but missed the foam. App said gimbal error. No damage done at all.

SD

Reactions: JohnK
A ribbon sounds good... :)

Which brings up the next question: It sounds like people keep putting it back all the time!? I guess you do so when you transport it!? Is that really necessary, or more of a recommendation? I believe the later.

Thanks,

Kmd

A ribbon sounds good... :)

Which brings up the next question: It sounds like people keep putting it back all the time!? I guess you do so when you transport it!? Is that really necessary, or more of a recommendation? I believe the later.

Thanks,

Kmd
The foam piece I would say most people have thrown it away. But purchase a gimbal guard and lens protector . You can find them on ebay and some even come with a red ribbon that says remove before flight .

Like this

Attachments

• 1450791974884.jpg
    1450791974884.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 671
I have to chuckle on this thread. I thought I was the only idiot that forgot to remove this small but very important piece of packing apparatus. The foam piece is so small that I completely missed it when I unpacked the P3A last week. I even made several flights and was almost ready to send it back to Amazon because I thought there was something wrong with the gimbal. The picture quality before I found the foam piece was awful with vibrations and the gimbal did not track correctly. Once I removed it, all was good and I have not noticed any damage or issues.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
If you get a Gimbal Overload error message, you will soon realize why. Hahaha

Don't ask he how I would know this. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I have to chuckle on this thread. I thought I was the only idiot that forgot to remove this small but very important piece of packing apparatus. The foam piece is so small that I completely missed it when I unpacked the P3A last week. I even made several flights and was almost ready to send it back to Amazon because I thought there was something wrong with the gimbal. The picture quality before I found the foam piece was awful with vibrations and the gimbal did not track correctly. Once I removed it, all was good and I have not noticed any damage or issues.
very common mistake-- DJI should red flag that one:D:D

You're calling me an Idiot? :p

Reactions: Shademan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl