Foam thing behind gimbal...

I use this one - fits perfectly & I always remember to take it off before I fly as I sprayed it bright green.
From taco rc - was free when you ordered the nd filter set - not sure if still free though

gimabl cap lock.jpg

Even more funny story here...I was having gimbal problems with my new P3A that I just took for its first flight.

I immediately thought "oh god here we go, I gotta try to send this thing back now"..and started examining the gimbal with it still on and saw the sticker that said remove before flight...and I tried to remove the sticker itself when I realized it was an entire piece of foam..LOL

Of course I was worried I caused damage, but not anymore after reading this thread.

Even more funny story here...I was having gimbal problems with my new P3A that I just took for its first flight.

I immediately thought "oh god here we go, I gotta try to send this thing back now"..and started examining the gimbal with it still on and saw the sticker that said remove before flight...and I tried to remove the sticker itself when I realized it was an entire piece of foam..LOL

Of course I was worried I caused damage, but not anymore after reading this thread.
Ha ha, good one. Glad it worked out for you. : )

Yeah, the new P4 gimbal guard is a little more obvious, and covers the lens, too!

Hi, I dont remove the gimbal foam protector before fly and I fly 15 times. Everithings was ok in the flys. I just realice this thing but when I see this foam I remove. Now my gimbal have a sound and I cant caibrate. What can I do?

Hi, I dont remove the gimbal foam protector before fly and I fly 15 times. Everithings was ok in the flys. I just realice this thing but when I see this foam I remove. Now my gimbal have a sound and I cant caibrate. What can I do?
Put it back on? ;) You may have burned out the gimbal motors. Was there no "gimbal motor overload" warning on the screen, with it on, and powered up?

The foam piece I would say most people have thrown it away. But purchase a gimbal guard and lens protector . You can find them on ebay and some even come with a red ribbon that says remove before flight .

When my P3P went in for repairs after FW bricked it - DJI told me straight out - the Camera / Gimbal lock I had - the round over lens and then clips to upper part of gimbal body - if they find that in use - they would disallow warranty as it is not approved. So make sure you keep the DJI locking plastic for any 'returns' !! They claimed it leads to 'bent gimbal arm' ..... I don't believe that - but how can you argue ?

Nigel

Personally, I took them off & threw them away. I think that the chances of the gimbal being damaged in transit with me[assuming the drone is in it's padded case], are far outweighed by the possibility of damaging it when fitting & removing the lock.

Last edited:
Personally, I took them off & threw them away. I think that the chances of the gimbal being damaged in transit [assuming the drone is in it's padded case], are far outweighed by the possibility of damaging it when fitting & removing the lock.
The foam block is definitely needed in shipping to protect from impact damage and doesn't require brute force to put on, unlike the early plastic gimbal protectors. Lots of aftermarket devices were sold to make it easier, but most seemed just as sketchy to me.

The interesting thing is : Only the Adv and Pro have the Foam insert ... the standard does not have it.

And when I received my P3P back from Repairs - which meant international shipping : DJI fitted a new plastic gimbal guard but NO foam insert .....

That says to me that the Foam Insert is an addition that is actually not as necessary as some claim.

Nigel

The interesting thing is : Only the Adv and Pro have the Foam insert ... the standard does not have it.

That says to me that the Foam Insert is an addition that is actually not as necessary as some claim.

Nigel
...or that the Standard is sold so cheaply that they can't afford to include it. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair