flyway

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a P3A with no issues until now, only about 20 flights. Until last week I hadn't flown in about a month so per the update instructions installed the last 2 updates one after the other. I went out to just take a couple shots of the big ol moon, app up to date on my tablet and phone (both compatible with PS3). After I was up a min my tablet was dying so I landed, re -calibrated and hooked my phone up to the remote....can't remember if I powered down or not. Anyway.....back up in the air......my phantom is flying away from me, going backwards, no higher then 223M and I never changed any settings. As it was flying way I could see on the map that it was facing me and although I was directing it towards me it was still going backwards...I could rotate it and could see it was responding on the app map., it ended up flying almost 1.5km away before the battery ran out and it auto landed.... i found it along the train tracks, 10ft from the ocean. Is there any obvious no nos here that would cause that? Basically....i was pushing forward on the remote an it was not responding, only going the opposite way.

so per the update instructions installed the last 2 updates one after the other
It sounds like something was out of calibration. Did you do step #48 here?

Hi all,

I have a P3A with no issues until now, only about 20 flights. Until last week I hadn't flown in about a month so per the update instructions installed the last 2 updates one after the other. I went out to just take a couple shots of the big ol moon, app up to date on my tablet and phone (both compatible with PS3). After I was up a min my tablet was dying so I landed, re -calibrated and hooked my phone up to the remote....can't remember if I powered down or not. Anyway.....back up in the air......my phantom is flying away from me, going backwards, no higher then 223M and I never changed any settings. As it was flying way I could see on the map that it was facing me and although I was directing it towards me it was still going backwards...I could rotate it and could see it was responding on the app map., it ended up flying almost 1.5km away before the battery ran out and it auto landed.... i found it along the train tracks, 10ft from the ocean. Is there any obvious no nos here that would cause that? Basically....i was pushing forward on the remote an it was not responding, only going the opposite way.

If you change devices and didn't power down-- then that could cause all kinds of issues-- pretty important that you know that.

When you were "directing" it toward you which way were you pushing the right stick? If you were pulling it back and the front of the copter was facing you-- the copter would fly away from you because the controls are reversed when it is facing you.
If you had the app set on RTH, then it would not have landed in a different location but would have come back to your takeoff location.

The fact that you changed devices and don't know that whether you rebooted , suggests that both devices may not have been set up the same and that could have caused the issues.

If you change devices and didn't power down-- then that could cause all kinds of issues-- pretty important that you know that.
Can you elaborate on this some more? Doesn't the remote controller tell the Phantom what to do?

Can you elaborate on this some more? Doesn't the remote controller tell the Phantom what to do?

Landing and changing devices and not rebooting everything could very possibly set up the Phantom to fly differently, such as Fail Safe-- RTH or Land-- The controller transmits the setup information to the Phantom -- The device was apparently set to Land or it would have RTH on low power.

I am open to hearing other answers, but the information presented is lacking to try to find out why it happened.

I don't believe the OP knows whether he rebooted the system when he changed devices. So there are a lot of unknowns here.

Thanks for explaining. I wasn't doubting you... just thought the OP might benefit if we explain in more detail. You could be onto something.

Thanks for explaining. I wasn't doubting you... just thought the OP might benefit if we explain in more detail. You could be onto something.
LOL-- I was doubting my answer when you asked -- but a mid battery switch of devices cant be a good thing if you don't reboot everything and make sure the setup is right:)

Yep. I don't think it was a good idea. I like to play it safe and always go through the usual startup routine that has been proven to work.

Reactions: snowghost
Could the P-A-F switch have been knocked into Atti mode? . If so wind could have taken it away even if you were pushing forward. Human error has to be considered. Secondly Loss of GPS could essentially lead to same situation. If you were in course lock then the craft could face you and fly away as you push forward. Last point is that however it happened. You the pilot need to be in control . I would firstly at 200+ meters check distances as I use controls to see if craft is 1,holding position, 2 moving towards /away from me. Noting distances as they increase decrease. To let the craft achieve a distance of 1500m without being in control is crazy . I would note response to stick movement and continue to fly towards home point. Check P-A-F switch. Toggle it to P. Check Safe to fly GPS mode Green bar. Check number of Satellites. Check RTH settings and RTH height. If still heading away without control. I'd consider RTH button. See how the craft reacts. Last resort restart phone.
God knows where it would land 1500m away . What damage it could do. We need to be responsible and in control at all times.

Reactions: reboot81

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl