Flying with Tin Foil - 50 meters max

I will check satellite count the next time I try it. Even if it senses a GPS location for a brief moment, that doesn't explain why I still have a 50m height restriction while using the foil when not in a NFZ.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

AFAIK the heigth restriction is a DJI failsafe when no-GPS is available (indoors or because you've put a foil hat on the P3...).

The only way around it is to take off from a non-zero AGL so the base altitude is offset accordingly...

What happens if you have the foil on top (in order to start the motors and start flight), take off and hover at 4' then remove the foil while it's already flying?... When you are already in flight and encounteer a NFZ, as I recall there are height restrictions applied but they may be higher than your current limit when fying without GPS....

Interesting thread!
Welcome to the forum Spikeman.
I think you need an older bird to get any higher pictures. Also the older firmware prior to the NFZ limitation.

Get a P2V+ and firmware 1.08, you'll be good to go.;)

What is the firmware version that I would need to retro to on the P3. I would like to stick with the P3 if possible. I really like the camera on the P3. No fisheye and nice straight horizons.

What is the firmware version that I would need to retro to on the P3. I would like to stick with the P3 if possible. I really like the camera on the P3. No fisheye and nice straight horizons.
I can understand your desire to stay with the P3, it takes awesome shots! Unfortunately for your circumstance, working in a NFZ, there isn't an app or firmware for the P3 prior to the NFZ. It was actually launched in the later P2's firmware. I think firmware DJI Assistant 2.0 included some NFZs.
You can fix the fisheye on your computer or have the lens changed out. Same would apply for a P2 with a GoPro. The good news is, they are pretty inexpensive used, as everybody clambers for the new stuff!

Reactions: theshaddydogg
Here is an idea. If you look at the map of the NFZ in my previous post, there is a park to the SE of the runway. What would happen if I went up to 400' in normal GPS flying mode (no foil) and went a short ways into the NFZ? I am willing to try it, but would like to know how it will react when crossing the red line.

What will happen is your app will warn you that you are near a NFZ (restricted area). The bird's back LEDs will alternate green and red slow flashing. As you approach the NFZ, the app will force the bird lower and lower until it lands.
As you know, the only way to even arm the motors in a NFZ is to block the satellites and fly in ATTI. Good luck with your project! Let us know how it goes.

Interesting thread!
Welcome to the forum Spikeman.
I think you need an older bird to get any higher pictures. Also the older firmware prior to the NFZ limitation.

Get a P2V+ and firmware 1.08, you'll be good to go.;)
This is a very intriguing option. As I will need to do monthly progress photos over the next year, I am considering the P2V+. I did a little research and it looks like there is a P2V+ v.2 and v.3. Any recommendations on getting v2 or v3? Do they both accept the 1.08 firmware?

This is a very intriguing option. As I will need to do monthly progress photos over the next year, I am considering the P2V+. I did a little research and it looks like there is a P2V+ v.2 and v.3. Any recommendations on getting v2 or v3? Do they both accept the 1.08 firmware?
This is exactly the kind of situation the new GEO is being introduced for.
When that is up and running, you should be able to unlock the NFZ and fly safely within it.
Perhaps the existing beta firmware would work for you?
Perhaps ... but as they still have some bugs to work out, I'm not sure.

This is exactly the kind of situation the new GEO is being introduced for.
When that is up and running, you should be able to unlock the NFZ and fly safely within it.
Perhaps the existing beta firmware would work for you?
Perhaps ... but as they still have some bugs to work out, I'm not sure.
I am signed up for it. However, it appears that it is only unlocking "yellow zones" right now. Hope it will unlock the "red zones" in the future.

I am signed up for it. However, it appears that it is only unlocking "yellow zones" right now. Hope it will unlock the "red zones" in the future.
You could try asking Brendan Schulman who's in charge of the project to see if/when it will help you.
Brendan.Schulman@dji.com

Either version P2V+ will run Assistant 1.08 as will a regular P2V.
The DroneSlinger..

I wouldn't put too much hope in unlocking NFZs.:oops:

I looked at Geo beta a while ago and it seemed that most of the airports went from Red NFZ to yellow zones that you could unlock for 24 hrs... will be back with a link to a geo map...

My airport, DTS, is yellow on the geo website and I have attempted to unlock with a credit card. However, it still shows up as red on the DJI go app when I get ready to fly.

Seems to me that if it's an airport that you are working at, maybe, just maybe, there might be an Airplane someone could take you up in and take some pictures

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl