Flying with drone out of eyesight

SO as long as you fly ay 400 and LOS your fine, but all of a sudden at 401, your guaranteed to take down other aircraft....
Oh ok I get your logic.(sarcasm)
View attachment 70543
I think the FAA requires aircrafts (with some exceptions) to fly 500 feet and above, Drones are only allowed to fly 400 and below, the extra hundred from 4 to 5 hundred feet is a buffer I guess. So really if you fly 402 or 403 feet for a few seconds it shouldn't really matter.

I think the FAA requires aircrafts (with some exceptions) to fly 500 feet and above,
It's a popular misconception that planes and helicopters have to stay above 500 feet.
There are many situations where the rules allow them to fly lower.
Pay particular attention to c & d.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Reactions: Falcon900
It's a popular misconception that planes and helicopters have to stay above 500 feet.
There are many situations where the rules allow them to fly lower.
Pay particular attention to c & d.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

I knew that there are some cases where aircraft are allowed to fly below 500 feet, that's why I said with some exceptions in my post.

I think the FAA requires aircrafts (with some exceptions) to fly 500 feet and above, Drones are only allowed to fly 400 and below, the extra hundred from 4 to 5 hundred feet is a buffer I guess. So really if you fly 402 or 403 feet for a few seconds it shouldn't really matter.
SMH!!!
200w.gif

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Tell me why you are SMH!!, I love the intelligent answer. I'm pretty sure when people climb to 400 feet they don't hit 400 feet on the dot some times, i'm sure they hit 401,402 feet before They level off, I have and that's with being careful. If a plane is going to be flying at 401 feet and you are flying at 400 there is a chance you'll still hit the plane.

Is this seriously an issue? . . . . These are not elevator floors they're FEET . . .AGL and well below any accuracy threshold that makes any difference in reality.

"Take the high road . . and fly LOW . . and away from airports" . . you'll be fine

Tell me why you are SMH!!, ....
It's the words you chose in your post - such as "requires" and "allowed" - and also the way you state them with so much authority, which begs for another 40 posts about a topic that's already been beaten to death several dozen times on this site.

Nothing personal.

Reactions: Apilot101
It's the words you chose in your post - such as "required" and "allowed" - and also the way you state them with so much authority, which begs for another 40 posts about a topic that's already been beaten to death several dozen times on this site.

Nothing personal.
Lol I didn't know i'm the authority on topics lol. I'm just a guy with an opinion. And as far as topics being beaten to death on this site, EVERYTHING is usually beaten to death on forums so I don't see your point.

Hi all. I have only had my P4 a couple days (first drone I have ever had). I have read that you should not fly your drone outside of eyesight but I am seeing these incredible videos that are clearly out of the operators sight. What am I to make of this? Thank much!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
The best advise I can offer is to follow the FAA rules as wtiiten, they do apply to all. Second option is to fly anyway you want and can afford, but if you get caught sucks it up pay your fine and don't ***** about getting caught. Happy New Year to all.

I am not particularly keen about operating a drone without knowing the orentation or even where it is. I would say to go slow and get farther and farther. Since I have the phantom one it is less automated so I need a fpv setup or something like that to get the shot. But you have everything so do as you please and be safe
Why would you not know the orientation?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have never flown my drone out of sight. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Yep! Totally agree! That's my story to!!!! Mine was about to get out out of my sight due to Russian's hacking my software but I followed protocol and ran after it with my eyes firmly affixed on the craft!! ;)

Reactions: David Cooke
Yep! Totally agree! That's my story to!!!! Mine was about to get out out of my sight due to Russian's hacking my software but I followed protocol and ran after it with my eyes firmly affixed on the craft!! ;)

Try one of these . . . Stick it on the back with velcro . . . if you lose sight just face it away and you'll pick up the strobe a mile away . . . That's my story and it works! I've tried everything and this is the best. . . lasts for hours and rechargeable More here
upload_2017-1-3_16-1-52.png

Reactions: yorlik
Why would you not know the orientation?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you ever flown conventional RC planes, you would know this feeling. We used to paint the bottom different so see the orientation far away. Im so glad these RC craft have gps, and position.

Try one of these . . . Stick it on the back with velcro . . . if you lose sight just face it away and you'll pick up the strobe a mile away . . . That's my story and it works! I've tried everything and this is the best. . . lasts for hours and rechargeable More here
View attachment 72369

Do these need power from the UAV or are they plug and play once charged?

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Same here I have 20/20 vision I can SEE my drone even when no one else can't *wink wink nudge nudge*

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Plug and play . . . Put s piece of velcro on you Phantom and slap it on . . .check the link in my post above to the discussion on using them. Unit has battery, charger flasher and LED all in one. You need a mini USB cable to charge from a computer or any USB port. Charge lasts 8hrs+

Plug and play . . . Put s piece of velcro on you Phantom and slap it on . . .check the link in my post above to the discussion on using them. Unit has battery, charger flasher and LED all in one. You need a mini USB cable to charge from a computer or any USB port. Charge lasts 8hrs+

Cheers pal, is this a strobon? As if so I cannot find where to purchase them?

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka