Flying with drone out of eyesight

Reaction score
Hi all. I have only had my P4 a couple days (first drone I have ever had). I have read that you should not fly your drone outside of eyesight but I am seeing these incredible videos that are clearly out of the operators sight. What am I to make of this? Thank much!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi all. I have only had my P4 a couple days (first drone I have ever had). I have read that you should not fly your drone outside of eyesight but I am seeing these incredible videos that are clearly out of the operators sight. What am I to make of this? Thank much!

The FAA would prefer you have sight of your drone at all times, and you are required to agree to that in the registration process. Although it may be a good idea, when flying over a 500 acre soybean field, there is very little danger of a mishap, especially if it is YOUR soybean field. As an aside, try driving exactly the posted, "safe", speed limit out on the freeway and see if you get run over.

What country are you in, Mark?

for example, in UK the aircraft should always be in sight. I had a chat with a CAA official on Sunday and his words were, basically, the CAA is fairly relaxed with drone flights, provided you follow the drone code and use common sense. On the other hand, the media love a good drone story, even if it is actually a Tesco carrier bag, and politicians love to knee jerk react to those stories.

I am not particularly keen about operating a drone without knowing the orentation or even where it is. I would say to go slow and get farther and farther. Since I have the phantom one it is less automated so I need a fpv setup or something like that to get the shot. But you have everything so do as you please and be safe

I would say to go slow and get farther and farther.

police-confiscate-dji-phantom.png

I wonder if the FAA monitors forums, I know the ATF monitors firearm forums and there has been people busted on a forum I used to frequent, the site admin didn't go into details but said that the ATF contacted him about a member.

I am not familiar with U.S law about drones and in every state is different but I think that the laws should be logical and followed.

The law in the USA, by the FAA, states, VLOS flight at all times.

I think that's unreasonable and unnecessary but that's just my humble opinion.

No matter how it may appear in my videos I hereby do state, your honor, that at all times I could clearly see my drone... even 3 miles out at night over water...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

U.S. Law with the FAA is line of sight and the aircraft must be lower than 400ft altitude, and make sure you are not in TFR space. Welcome aboard the community and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Skeye
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am in the US. I will keep it in my sight because frankly I am a bit nervous about it being so new to the hobby

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am in the US. I will keep it in my sight because frankly I am a bit nervous about it being so new to the hobby

Do what your conscience tells you to do. I still fly within sight because the machine once malfunctioned (100% repaired/paid by DJI) but I still haven't felt comfortable over the past year. There are names some men use to describe other men who are more cautious so I accept my titles but don't let pressure get you to do something you really don't want to. You paid for this machine, not them.

Download and read the AMA Safety Code. Those are the rules that govern hobbyist or non-commercial drone flights in the US (AMA Part 101). Visual line of sight, no altitude restriction except close to airports.

Reactions: Kurtis Jeter

As a recreational UAS pilot, it's your responsibility to read FAR Part 101 and related documents before you fly. Doing that will answer your question accurately.

Reactions: N017RW
I wonder if the FAA monitors forums, I know the ATF monitors firearm forums and there has been people busted on a forum I used to frequent, the site admin didn't go into details but said that the ATF contacted him about a member.
For the most part.... No FAA doesnt.

Unofficially From high up inside the FAA..... Typically, It would be more likely that a police dept would be monitoring for a reason, then the police go to FAA to find a way to warrant an arrest they want. FAA has enough on their hands with certifications, etc. FAA actually didnt want to even mess with "Drones". They were pushed into it by a Pissed off Congressman who had 1 crash in his backyard demanding FAA to take on "drones". He also said those "drone sightings by pilots" were not our P3/4s, they were larger military drones but the media blew it up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik