Flying Speed For Filming

Reaction score
Generally speaking what do you find to be a good speed for filming? I have a DJI phantom 4.

I'm fairly new to flying. I have 70 flights for a total of 8.5 hours.

I usually fly at about 5 mph while filming.

Thanks Mike

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

There is no standard - it depends on the look you want to achieve. That being said, I usually run my Litchi missions at 15 mph if I can. Anything slower than that is excruciatingly boring to watch, IMHO.

Speed is dependent flying altitude above ground and camera position.
Low altitude and camera facing downwards requires a very slow speed, otherwise the footage will be too blurry.

Another question remains as well, what do you want to express in your footage, nice and slow movements or some "action", speed effects etc?

For sharp footage the rule applies, the closer the object, the slower the speed and movements.

Generally speaking what do you find to be a good speed for filming? I have a DJI phantom 4.

I'm fairly new to flying. I have 70 flights for a total of 8.5 hours.

I usually fly at about 5 mph while filming.

Thanks Mike

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Hi yeh goin slow filming bit boring unless u follwing something,,fast flying in sport filming is just right to watch ,,,,,im a bit of a go fast flyer:eek:

If your filming a moving object the speed is determined for you. In other circumstances, as you might already know, it's a trivial exercise to speed up footage in post, slowing down is also possible if your are shooting at a higher frame rate. The limitation here is where you have natural (or man made elements in the scene) that look off when sped up (waves, birds, cars, people etc). What seems to be most critical is finding a speed where your movements are most fluid, sudden changes in speed (esp when yawing) can result in landing gear and props ending up in frame.

Reactions: DAVEJF
All my Litchi missions are set to P3P's max speed 57.6 km/h = 35.8 mph (usually 50m or 100m altitude). And very often I speed that x2 in post with Final Cut Pro. I try to keep video clips under 2 minutes.

With DJI GO I fly manually slower/very slow but edit the boring parts off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen