Flying P3P over lake.

Reaction score
We are going to a lake for a week in Mid August. I am wanting to fly my P3P while there. I have only flown it 100 times or so and am not very accomplished. I'm 68 years old so my reflexes and comprehension skills are not what I'd like them to be. Notes:
  • There are several boats and lots of action out in front of our RV space.
  • Our RV space is in an inlet/bay that is fairly sheltered and doesn't get much wind.
  • There are bald eagles flying above quite often.
  • I'd like to fly the P3P and video lots of the action.
I would really really really appreciate any tips that might help me avoid landing my drone in the lake. Tips like always start with a fully charged battery, always make sure drone is calibrated etc etc. Also I am also wondering if I can still fly it or what to do if there aren't enough satellites available. This area does not have great cell phone service available so maybe there aren't lots of satellites. I have only flown in the automatic mode so if not enough satelites are available will I need to learn how to fly in manual mode or ???
Thanks in advance for any tips and info about flying over this type of water. The pics below were taken from our RV site and are of the bay in front us.

lake1.JPG
lake2.JPG

THANKS in advance for any tips.

I am also wondering if I can still fly it or what to do if there aren't enough satellites available. This area does not have great cell phone service available so maybe there aren't lots of satellites. I have only flown in the automatic mode so if not enough satelites are available will I need to learn how to fly in manual mode or ???
Your mobile phone signal comes from antennas on towers and have a range of ~20 miles.
GPS has nothing to do with mobile phone coverage and works on a network of satellites which are 12000 miles up in space.
You will have enough satellites.

Reactions: flyboy73
With 100+ flights you have probably learned by now that all those trees around your lot are not your friend. Don't get too close. As Meta4 advised, satellites will not be a problem. I would urge you to practice flying in manual mode, not because of a lack of satellites, but for the confidence you will gain from the experience. In the unlikely event of a flyaway situation sometimes switching to atti mode may save the day. Looks like beautiful country. You should return with some fantastic video and pics.

Your mobile phone signal comes from antennas on towers and have a range of ~20 miles.
GPS has nothing to do with mobile phone coverage and works on a network of satellites which are 12000 miles up in space.
You will have enough satellites.
OK, THANKS for that. I'm aware of the difference between cell phone towers (so far as we know, only located on the physical Earth) and satellites (not normally located on the ground unless they recently crashed). Rather I was trying to state that this lake is in a rather remote area. And when flying my P3P in the past, sometimes I've found more satellites than at other times. I was not knowing if this had to do with the remoteness of an area, if it was kind of a random thing or what.

I was trying to state that this lake is in a rather remote area. And when flying my P3P in the past, sometimes I've found more satellites than at other times. I was not knowing if this had to do with the remoteness of an area, if it was kind of a random thing or what.
Nothing is remote for GPS.
The G stands for Global.
4457788776_a0dafeec28_o.gif

Reactions: Traveler
Nothing is remote for GPS.
The G stands for Global.
4457788776_a0dafeec28_o.gif
So if that is the case then we don’t ever need to know how many satellites are available? My tablet always lists how many satellites are available. But I guess there is no use paying any attention to that anymore because all satellites are global. What a relief. From now on I can fly it any place on the globe without worry. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT!

Eagles don't like drones.
Careful you are not to close to nesting areas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I;ve had 3 or 4 "meetings" with eagles/ospreys, I;ve found ospreys being much more territorial. If one suddenly appears, which they do just seem to come out of nowhere, I;ve found the best practice is to FREEZE. I;ve done this 4-5 times & they seem to loose interest after circling your bird, once or twice, & just leave drone alone. BUT, try & out run em or get away, they seem to get much more aggresive.
These guys seem to accept this buzzy thing in the air, i just don't go near they nest, curiousity could kill your bird!

Wow that's good advice. No, I do not want to harass them or disturb their nest. I am absolutely in awe of both bald eagles and ospreys. But not at the risk of disturbing their homes or at the risk of losing $1300.00 (that's what I paid for mine) worth of equipment! If anyone has any footage of video of eagles or ospreys it would really be great to see. Maybe I'll do a YouTube search. I wonder how close I should consider getting. I guess I'll know when I get there once my "common sense" kicks in. And as much as some people hate drones, I bet an eagle knocking mine down over the lake would likely be a popular event!

Check the local laws. For instance, drones are not allowed anywhere at Lake Lanier in North Georgia. That's per the Army Corps of Engineers, who manage the lake.

As Meta4 says, the G in GPS means "global", but if you are down deep in a canyon or among a lot of tall buildings, you will receive satellite signals from only those satellites that are overhead and that can "see" you down in that canyon. Satellite signals don't go through buildings or tree trunks or hills if such impediments exist where you're flying. Therefore, it is very smart to pay attention to how many satellites you are receiving. Ordinarily your P3P may receive as many 16-18 satellites, especially if you are out in flat ground with no trees - or high on top of a mountain - where you'll pick up satellites near the horizon. I'll bet you'll get no less than 12-14 satellites in the area of your photos and you'll be fine. But me? I will never fly in GPS mode with less than 7. If I must fly in that case, I'll go to ATTI but reluctantly after some scary near misses taking off and landing in ATTI.

I really appreciate that. Thanks for taking the time to clarify it. It is always confusing to me because 90% of my flights have been from my driveway and usually have 17 satellites (+ or -) but sometimes I get message saying unable to fly GPS. In my back yard I get less satellites as it has trees surrounding.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing