Flying over water

Reaction score
What mode do you guys fly over water,
Looking to fly over the sea, don't want it to be my last.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I stay in P mode.

Many will suggest turning off VPS before going over water. I have dozens of miles over the lake and never turned it off.

What mode do you guys fly over water,
Looking to fly over the sea, don't want it to be my last.
Your Phantom flies above water just as it does above land except that there's nothing to hit and no interference.
As VPS is useless above water you may as well switch it off to avoid the occasional false error message that happens sometimes.
Here's where you disable the VPS.
i-MMzL9XF-L.png

VPS = Visual Positioning System. Keeps the Phantom in a stable hover at low height either indoors or outdoors.

When flying over water or reflective surfaces it has zero effect unless you stop and hover at low height. What will happen is the Phantom will not stay perfectly still. This is fine if you're 10 feet in the air, but if you're 1 or 2 feet above water, there is a good chance you could suddenly drop into the water.

I have lots of videos where I'm flying over water at a height of a few feet. When I hover the Phantom I stay no less than 10 feet off the water and all is well.

Keep the above in mind and you'll be fine.

Your Phantom flies above water just as it does above land except that there's nothing to hit and no interference.
As VPS is useless above water you may as well switch it off to avoid the occasional false error message that happens sometimes.
Here's where you disable the VPS.
i-MMzL9XF-L.png
Thanks very useful, I will switch off, better to be safe than sorry.

VPS = Visual Positioning System. Keeps the Phantom in a stable hover at low height either indoors or outdoors.

When flying over water or reflective surfaces it has zero effect unless you stop and hover at low height. What will happen is the Phantom will not stay perfectly still. This is fine if you're 10 feet in the air, but if you're 1 or 2 feet above water, there is a good chance you could suddenly drop into the water.

I have lots of videos where I'm flying over water at a height of a few feet. When I hover the Phantom I stay no less than 10 feet off the water and all is well.

Keep the above in mind and you'll be fine.
Good advice, thanks.

I live on an island and still haven't ventured out over open water. Guess I should try some "baby steps". LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl