Flying over water with a P3A

I've never had a problem over water, and I don't fly close to the water enough for VPS to be a problem. (I think I'm more afraid of a hiccup putting it into the water). Maybe 100' or so. I'd like to have a zoom on my P3A. ;) Having said that, I've had several successful flights over water without incident. Example:

Last edited:
Reactions: geejdee
Frequent over water flier here...
I always use P-GPS, always have VPS turned off (just because I don't use it over land either)...
My best advise is just don't have it only 3 feet above the water, flying Full Forward Stick without WATCHING THE DRONE because I LOST a P3S doing that...
All was good as it Zoomed towards the boat I was going after so I looked down at my Screen just to quickly adjust the camera up/down and the next thing I saw was Weak then NO SIGNAL, THEN Black/White picture so I knew right away it was GONE :( (all happened in about 5 seconds)...
So now as a rule I never fly my P3P below about 13Ft without watching IT...

Video of high speed flying in 15-20+mph winds (going with the wind coming back in)...

And another one where I went pretty far off shore...
Very gusty winds (25+mph) so it wasn't easy keeping the boat centered in the the frame...

I've never had a problem over water, and I don't fly close to the water enough for VPS to be a problem. (I think I'm more afraid of a hiccup putting it into the water). Maybe 100' or so. I'd like to have a zoom on my P3A. ;) Having said that, I've had several successful flights over water without incident. Example:

Nice video. ..i enjoyed the view..

Kcadby,
I enjoyed your videos from Jupiter. I'm across the state at Melbourne. Thanks for posting them!

Reactions: KCadby
When I go fishing at my favorite lake I will fly over it with the camera down. I fly around the lake looking for where the fish are hanging out. I watch their movements and see as much as I can before the battery makes me bring it home. I get some really cool video. I can't believe how clear the water is and how far I can see down into the water.

If you stay above 20' you should avoid any vps issues...
Vps cuts out at 9.6 feet or something I believe so 10 feet is the bare minimum you want to be flying with vps on over water or else the drone might drop due to not knowing it's surroundings. I personally turn it off whenever I plan on flying over water

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164