Flying over fields

Reaction score
Hi I was flying my drone in my local park.i was at 300 feet flying over a farmer's field.my drone did fly over his house I was filming but not his house just flew over.i was approached by the farmer who asked if a camera was fitted to my drone.i told him yes and he said you can not film.i said I can I am in a public park.he then said well I don't want you to fly over my fields.so without making a song and dance about it I packed up and left.can anyone tell me if i can fly over fields I try not to fly over people and housing if i can help it just want to stay within the law thanks.

can anyone tell me if i can fly over fields
If you're in the US, it's legal to fly over most private property as long as you don't take off from the property, you can see the drone with your eyes, and you're not doing anything dangerous. However, you might want to find a different place to fly if the land owner is not happy with whatever you're doing. It might turn out to be more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

Hi i am in the uk took off in a public space drone in sight,but I will take your advice and fly elsewhere thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07
Why not offer him free footage of his property? Let him be there while you film his area explaining how the drone can let him see the area from above with a wider view of his "little kingdom". He might let up in his apprehension if he is allowed to be involved, and he could have footage to watch. Lots of people actually would pay to get aerial footage of their properties, he could get it for free.

You have to stay 50 meters (150 ft) away from buildings. But you can overfly private property ( except national trust who make their own laws without the aid of a parliament).
But you REALLY did the right thing. We have enough problems already, without adding mouthy and argumentative to the list [emoji4]
Talking to him nicely, apologising for any inconvenience while showing him the pictures on your phone/tablet as you return to the take off area , often helps. And has been known to lead to a conversion [emoji4][emoji3]
In the “Old days of the Phantom, and the P2, I had a Set of “Fatshark” goggles. Great fun, but not too practical.so, I bought a “Black Pearl” monitor. When approached I would immediately apologise for any offence/inconvenience, and show them the goggles. Many a “Oy you! What the hell do you think you are doing?” Has been turned into a “ Cool ! , are these expensive? Where can I get one?”

Last edited:
We have had reports here of theives checking out farms with drones They must use Mavics it would not be very stealthy otherwise.
Besides farmers are a cranky suspisious lot .I should know (Gram)and most us ..I mean them have a shot gun or two:eek:

Hi i am in the uk took off in a public space drone in sight,but I will take your advice and fly elsewhere thanks.
I’m in the UK he doesn’t own the airspace. You can fly over his land no problem. I sometimes take of from this farmers fields but I did get his permission first otherwise I could of taken of anywhere that was not on his land but safe and flown over

Attachments

• 58222B9C-CCEE-494E-ADBF-F2F451B256DA.jpeg
    58222B9C-CCEE-494E-ADBF-F2F451B256DA.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 293
Personally I would also suggest to the farmer that you can help him if anything by checking he's animals rather then the farmer making the long trip of walking over the fields to count them

Reactions: DHAirbus
Cattle are inquisitve and stand still (easy to count) sheep run like its a sceen from War Of The Worlds (hard to count):)
PS no walking They invented motor bikes a while back:rolleyes:

I always fly above farmland and have never had any discussions. Sometimes, however, there is a local farmer who wants to see more of what I am doing. A little explanation, a look at the drone and a social conversation dissolves a lot.

Anyway, I stay away from buildings and animals. I know that horses and cows can become restless from drones.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
We have had reports here of theives checking out farms with drones They must use Mavics it would not be very stealthy otherwise.
Besides farmers are a cranky suspisious lot .I should know (Gram)and most us ..I mean them have a shot gun or two:eek:
(Secret laugh...)

Makes me laugh. Is it not controlled via the CAA? I’m a very responsible and respectful drone pilot. But at the same time do they stop helicopters flying overhead especially military chinnocks? Not even to mention google earth taking photos of anything they want.... land owners go on about small time hobby flyers. They need to look at the bigger picture.

I come from a farming background and realise farmers can be very sceptical about eyes in the sky. Don’t get me started with the National Trust of which I’m a member.

(Just fly and act confused if confronted)

"I was just trying to figure the dang thing out... was I in secured areas?" (Pushes glasses up) "Do I need to call your superior?"

(Hide government looking badge in shirt while holding cell phone)

Reactions: Neon Euc
As I understand it, in UK he does not own the airspace, provided you adhere to the CAA regs. This is a sad example of drone flying being seen as anti-social in this country because people are buying cheap [& uncontrollable!] drones for kids, who think they're toys. I always try to ask permission from landowners, & show them a copy of my public liability insurance certificate. I've only been refused once. That was by an RSPB warden. When we started talking, he then agreed I could come back in autumn & fly over the reserve within certain limits. The best response I have had was the manager of a very posh hotel, who had no problem at all, as the local wedding photographer was always flying his drone around the grounds to practise using it for weddings. If he was practising flying - & presumably flying fairly close to guests - I wouldn't wan t him anywhere near a wedding!

Here in Texas there have been some precautions about drones flying over weekend homes to see if anyone is there before trekking in to burglarize them. Unfortunately, just as with guns or other things, there will always be those who use good things to perform bad behavior.

Reactions: NineFive
I consider private property to be respected, even though the airspace about it is not "private". While technically legal, seems to be to further advance the use of sUAS when we can create good will and not piss someone off by insisting we "have our rights", legal or otherwise.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor