Flying on Altitude

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just tried to film a mountaineering expedition in Tibet and was trying to fly a Phantom Vision 2+ at an altitude of 4200m. The flying behaviour was very very unstable and it dropped out of the sky several times.
Is there a way to make engines better to make the drone flyable at this elevation?

thanks,

The 9450 props will help apparently

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

stodiolet said:
Hi,
I have just tried to film a mountaineering expedition in Tibet and was trying to fly a Phantom Vision 2+ at an altitude of 4200m. The flying behaviour was very very unstable and it dropped out of the sky several times.
Is there a way to make engines better to make the drone flyable at this elevation?

thanks,

I'm curious if you calibrated the compass, and rebooted the quad prior to flying in that area?

Lift is greatly diminished at those high altitudes and the stock props will struggle to keep the bird in the air. The 9450 props will add a bit more lift but the P2V+ is very heavy to begin with and don't know if even those will be enough at the very high alt you are trying to fly in.

Panamon Creel said:
hmmm mountaineering in Tibet, yep he's at 4200 meters not feet :)

Ah, I first thought the phantom went 4200 meters from the ground. I was not thinking straight :D

I have flown at 11,500' elevation so probably got to about 12,000' while flying. I've crashed the phantom twice both times were at that elevation. I have not flown with the 9450 blades that high but at 9000' they are much much better.

Hi, from Google :
"A helicopter's altitude limit is the result of the atmosphere becoming thinner as altitude increases. A helicopter gets it lift by rotating its blades, which are much like wings that travel though the air and generate lift. Just as an airplane cannot climb into space because it reaches an altitude where its wings cannot generate sufficient lift as the air gets thinner at high altitude, a helicopter, with its "rotary wings" (its rotating blades) also reaches a point where the its blades cannot generate enough lift in the thin air to take it any higher. Clearly a helicopter's blades could not generate any lift at all in the vacuum of space since there is no air at all, but even at a much lower altitude, the air becomes thin enough that the amount of lift the blades generate is reduced so much that this places a limit on the helicopter's ability to climb any higher."

Not shure if PV2+ manual has some specification about the max altitude that bird is able to safely fly...
Maybe it work asking DJI .. ?
Best ragards : Juan

ado said:
stodiolet said:
at an altitude of 4200m.

Just curious, you do not by any chance mean 4200 feet? Wich is also very high altitude 1200m.

The alps go to 4800m. A Bell 206 helicopter can only hit about 2400M. It's amazing that the Phantom could even take off at all at 4200m. Of course the Phantom doesn't have a tail rotor to stall out... so maybe it could fly a bit... but I wouldn't count on it staying up in a reliable way. The air's just too thin.

Also temperature plays an importat role in battery performance ... extreme cold affects negativelely battery performance..... no idea what the temperature was at 4200mts...
But once the battery heats due to high current furnished for motors to run, performance possibly normalyzes...
Very interesting experience. Sincerely hope Your bird did not got damaged.
IMO the propellers profile for this conditions should be very different of from standard propellers.
Best regards : Juan

there is a video of flying at the mt. everest base camp . someplace here. i got a fkytrex award for flying over 7000' And one for flying 50' belôw starting point.

rbhamilton said:
The alps go to 4800m. A Bell 206 helicopter can only hit about 2400M. It's amazing that the Phantom could even take off at all at 4200m. Of course the Phantom doesn't have a tail rotor to stall out... so maybe it could fly a bit... but I wouldn't count on it staying up in a reliable way. The air's just too thin.

The Phantom has a big advantage over the Bell 206, it's electric and motor power remains the same even at altitude. I believe the Bell 205L4, which has a more powerful engine, has a hover ceiling around 5000 meters but that also depends on payload and air temp.

thanks everybody for the replies - i have spoke to DJI, they confirmed that P2V+ shouldnt be flown above 2000m...
it actually got of the ground (temperature about +10C), flew up to 50m altitude, but as soon as I made any rotating movements it dropped out of mid air...

i just checked it, there seems to be a slight damage - i cannot control the camera angle from the phone anymore, some problem with the gimbal (which now is stuck in vertically down position). Any experience how to amend?
thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl