Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying my Phantom 2 Vision at -5 Degrees Below Zero

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Qwadjok, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Qwadjok

I flew my Phantom 2 Vision at -5 degrees yesterday. It worked perfectly. My Samsung Galaxy 3 however, lasted just a few minutes before it froze up. My P2V was also very stable in a 10 MPH wind. Held its position very well as you can see. :D

This was taken December 7th, 2013 at sunset in Minnesota area code 952 with a 10 mph west wind.

Burrrrr...

Attached Files:

2. kenskid

I won't get that chance here in Louisiana.

3. iDrone

Bwahahahaha! -5°!!! (burrrr) I guess it doesn't matter whether that's -°C or -°F that's just too cold!

iDrone :shock:

4. Migmon

Nice here's me today at 20 degrees F. http://youtu.be/WEPXOoYqNjg

I had one hand gloved and the other unloved to work the camera and I froze! Haha

5. W.A.R.

Are there any temperatures one should not risk flying the craft at?

Obviously one has to question the mental stability of someone wanting to venture out to fly when it's -30 C out, but -5 F (around -20 C) is getting close.

I ask because it's bloody cold here in Alberta right now and I'm definitely a bit of a loon who would go out! :p

6. Pull_Up

DJI's own specs say the operating window is between +50C and -10C. Anything outside that an you're on your own if it goes pop! I would avoid such low temps if there is a lot of moisture about, though. However the lipo gives out a fair amount of heat whilst its in flight, so that will help to keep the internals warmer than ambient. In fact a freshly depleted lipo makes an excellent hand warmer after a cold flight!!