Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying mid-day, sun mitigation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jofus, Jul 24, 2016.

1. jofus

Hey everyone,

I went out and did some filming earlier today about 1pm while the sun was bright and high in the sky. I had a sun shade on my galaxy note5, brightness turned up 100%, but I couldn't see squat! I usually fly near sunrise or sunset, so this is the first time I've actually experienced practically no visibilty on my phone.

What do you guys and gals do to mitigate the sunlight so you can see what you're recording during those bright, sunny days? Any tips or techniques would greatly help!

2. rockos

just about everyone uses a sun hood aka sunshade if you are not using FPV googles. Look at either making one or buying one for your phone.

UltraShade Mobile

3. Mark The Droner

I have learned to always fly from under a nice shade tree. The Phantom can be 100' feet away on launch. That's fine. As long as I'm in the shade and my flight path is in front of me.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

I usually fly in the shade to avoid this issue. Some tablets work better than others in direct sunlight, but none are really easy to see.

If you decide to venture into the world of FPV goggles, check out the Fat Shark Dominator V3 and HeadPlay HD goggles. I own both and they work well with the P3P.

5. jofus

Thanks for the responses. I've got a sun shade on my phone, but it did almost no good yesterday. Unfortunately I had no trees or any real shade around other than going completely indoors, so I may have to get a pop-up canopy or something for the future.

6. Sagebrush

The Hoodman shade works great in blazing-bright conditions.

SB

7. jofus

Thanks! I'll have a look.