Flying into the concrete pavement....

Reaction score
Would simply like some advice on a recent crash I had. I asked about this previously but did not receive an adequate response.

Flight had no problem until the landing sequence. At 12' feet in altitude I inadvertently turned away to a sound I heard from the area I was flying, and a sudden gust of wind drove the bird sideways into a broad leaf tree. Hit the branches and flipped 180 degrees. It dropped like a rock, or I should say, it flew like a rock, straight down to the concrete pavement below. Motors still active. It appeared to hit the pavement with all four prop heads at the exact same time, motors still running. I immediately performed a CSC with no response. Motors still running, trying to fly itself into the concrete. Finally after probably 5 - 8 more seconds, I reached the P3 and inverted it to right side up. Motors still running. Placed it in the ground and did another shutoff and it stopped.

After in depth inspection, other than the prop heads being worn down to a nib like I had hand-sanded them, there did not appear to be any other damage. I have flown the craft twice since this incident with 4 new props and there does not appear to be an issue. However, I am now shell-shocked and fear a flight distance outside of visual sight.......

Thoughts to the motors spinning into the concrete for that timeframe??

Thanks gents.....

I have flown the craft twice since this incident with 4 new props and there does not appear to be an issue. However, I am now shell-shocked and fear a flight distance outside of visual sight.......
It's hard to be definite. Sometimes you can be lucky.
If the Phantom does a few more close flights without problems, I'd be happy to fly away.
What you should be afraid of is flying close to buildings and trees.
They are the number one killer of Phantoms.

Would simply like some advice on a recent crash I had. I asked about this previously but did not receive an adequate response.

Flight had no problem until the landing sequence. At 12' feet in altitude I inadvertently turned away to a sound I heard from the area I was flying, and a sudden gust of wind drove the bird sideways into a broad leaf tree. Hit the branches and flipped 180 degrees. It dropped like a rock, or I should say, it flew like a rock, straight down to the concrete pavement below. Motors still active. It appeared to hit the pavement with all four prop heads at the exact same time, motors still running. I immediately performed a CSC with no response. Motors still running, trying to fly itself into the concrete. Finally after probably 5 - 8 more seconds, I reached the P3 and inverted it to right side up. Motors still running. Placed it in the ground and did another shutoff and it stopped.

After in depth inspection, other than the prop heads being worn down to a nib like I had hand-sanded them, there did not appear to be any other damage. I have flown the craft twice since this incident with 4 new props and there does not appear to be an issue. However, I am now shell-shocked and fear a flight distance outside of visual sight.......

Thanks gents.....

You may want to share your flight records here so people can analyze it and help. As well, are you sure you didn't get electromagnetic interference?

Flew my P3A into a Palm Tree yesterday. Made and awful loud noise and hit scrub grass and sand hard. All my fault too. I could not see because of the bright sun and no shade for my iPad. Everything seems ok. Changed out the damaged prop (and the other three just to be safe), Despite what cry babies say, Dji builds one tough bird.

I reached the P3 and inverted it to right side up. Motors still running. Placed it in the ground and did another shutoff and it stopped.
When you reached the P3, you inverted it and placed it on the ground with the rotors still turning? You're much braver than me. If the CSC didn't work as you noted, I would have just picked it up from its legs, and done a left stick down to stop the motors.

As noted, posting the flight record with stick positions showing the CSC attempt might help to figure out why it didn't shut down the first time.

Reactions: JoBe
I'll post the flight data when I return to my computer. I did not experience any electromagnetic interference as other than the concrete sidewalk where it crashed, the other surrounding area is all green.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl