Flying in windy conditions.

I use Atti mode to gauge wind speed along with the forecast. When you get a few flights under your belt, you can tell approximate wind speed and direction. I don't fly in high winds. I only land the P3S on the ground when wind is light. I usually land the drone mannually, hovering at eye level and just grab the back leg on the battery side.

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
Hows this for windy conditions.
We have been "stuck indoors" for around 14 hours and I would love to go out to fly the Phantom. It's just a bit windy. Gusts up to 164Kph! And we are not in the worst of it. The storm has a few more hours to go before it weakens..

To all those copping the brunt of TC Debbie.. Stay Safe.
IDE00135.201703271930.jpg

Hows this for windy conditions.
We have been "stuck indoors" for around 14 hours and I would love to go out to fly the Phantom. It's just a bit windy. Gusts up to 164Kph! And we are not in the worst of it. The storm has a few more hours to go before it weakens..

To all those copping the brunt of TC Debbie.. Stay Safe.
View attachment 79341
Hope you are all safe from cairns

I use Atti mode to gauge wind speed along with the forecast. When you get a few flights under your belt, you can tell approximate wind speed and direction. I don't fly in high winds. I only land the P3S on the ground when wind is light. I usually land the drone mannually, hovering at eye level and just grab the back leg on the battery side.
So, if I understand what you are saying is ..... when in windy conditions you "catch" your drone inflight instead of landing? In your opinion, do you feel overtime that catching a drone can stress the landing gear? Just wondering..... Thanks.

So, if I understand what you are saying is ..... when in windy conditions you "catch" your drone inflight instead of landing? In your opinion, do you feel overtime that catching a drone can stress the landing gear? Just wondering..... Thanks.
Grab it under the base mount. I use the back left battery leg. I am right handed. Your hand will support the body as it is clenched as a fist around the leg. That leg assembly is very easy to replace if needed. 4 screws per side. You can also take off the same way. I haven't tried it yet.

Not sure how windy it was but was getting worried trying to bring it in yesterday. P3 4K .. Full stick for abit and it just sat there as if in hover mode, I'm like come on you can do it come back to me.. I love this machine.. My 1st real drone.. :)

That is some some strong wind! I flew yesterday in 10 to 15 mph wind. Got out 2.5 miles. Did the rth and my bird slowed to 17mph, the wind mst have been gusting to 25mph. Most of the rth, it was running at 20mph. I think with little wind, rth is around 22mph.

I'm new to the drone world started with a toy drone for Christmas it lasted a few days it was a cheap nano then the fuel had been ignited on a whole new passion had to have another one asap found another larger toy it was most of my learning curve. It took me some getting use to flying a drone and being able to orintate something with lights.I stepped up to P3s little over a month ago can't get enough time to fly and try to everyday. I'll get to the point here this thread is what made me join the forum I had to put my input in by the way the second toy drone still flys even though it's on it's third tube of super glue.I was wanting to say I've flown at 23 mph gust last week first time that windy it handled pretty well to me didn't get knocked around,will agree with the post 13-14mph in the head wind. Low 40s tail wind and I have found that my fastest speeds according to my flight logs recorded 53.4 and 55.3 was at dusk with still air no wind, At this point must of my flight time is for fun and becoming a better pilot but getting very interested in the pilot for hire side of it, my wife is going to hate this thing more then my boat lol. On my flight speeds I feel that the bird holds back power for stability so the calm air she lets it all hang out, I welcome input on that. Last I actually had my P3s out over 3600 feet two days ago has anyone had their P3s out that far stock no mods.
Thanks for all the answers from
All the reading I've done on here

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka