Flying in windy conditions.

Its the age old story ................
Flying with wind = aircraft speed + wind speed.
Flying against the wind = aircraft speed - wind speed

Why ? Because the aircraft only knows the air it is in .... it does not know or care about ground below. Its one of the first lessons any RC flier finds out about when he compares downwind and upwind legs of flight.

Nigel
This is why aircraft take off into wind, because they already get a head start on reaching their takeoff speed IAS (Indicated Air Speed), in my case 60kts in the Tobago

25mph is beyond what a p3s can do by far. On that one I wouldn't go above about 12-15 mph. The problem is windscan be higher as you go up. Much higher and you might not be able to fly it back. I have flown my p4p in winds up to 20-25mph. I only hand launch/land in those conditions though. It's top speed, however, is 46mph in sport. I have flown it back before, in sport, and only been able to top out at 10-12mph. That would have meant history for your p3s (I have one of those too and love it). 15-20 isn't bad for a decent gimbal, but you have to keep an eye on where you are (upwind/downwind) to ensure you have enough battery, and speed, to make it back.

Hi, I learnt to fly my drones before I started using all the new fangled stuff. Why because I live in a known windy coast and not very good GPS reception? A lot of things with wind depends on the terrain which can cause up drafts, down drafts, bullets and so on. At Christmas a young fellow was flying his new p 4. I had a chat with him and advised him that the GPS signal isn't the best and although the wind appeared very light on the ground it was a different story at 20 mtrs +. He chose to ignore my advice. And took it up over 30 metres. Well he lost his drone. It was found by accident 4 days later nowhere near where we had searched and not in a very condition. I had a look at it and it needed major repairs. I believe it couldn't cope with the stronger winds above 20 mtrs and then ran into a wind tunnel between two hills.

Last edited:
I have short hair and #10 sport gel. Ain't going anywhere.

Me, I love testing anything in anything. When I was a kid I'd go out and drive in snow storms, gale force winds, freezing rain, torrential downpours. I taught myself early and young to not be afraid of weather in case I ever NEEDED to be in it.

Same applies here... although it's been an insanely cold winter and I avoid that because I'm concerned about stress cracks, though I have still flown at -15. OtherwiseI don't shy away from wind, have flown in snow, but will avoid rain for the obvious.

It's not always about the video for me... I equally enjoying the piloting.
Jwmcgrath,

I couldn't agree more. For me it's about the piloting too.

I am new to these so taking it slow. It's about gently expanding my flight envelope under controlled conditions. If I'm not challenging myself, I am not giving the activity it's due. In flying, the risk/reward ratio is being evaluated all the time, and expanding the personal envelope in controlled conditions is a way of exercising maximum control of risk/reward.

I always felt if I went to the airport and didn't lean something .... well that should be the last time I should go to the airport. I imagine this unmanned environment should be the same.

Best to all,

On the older (not so smart) drones I've had in the past I learned the hard way what wind can do to you if you're not ready for it. When I got my Phantom I was just as careful, at first. I soon learned that, if you're paying attention, it handles it very well at 20-25 MPH. I won't do long distances, just in case.... Loss of GPS in high winds could have you driving to the next county for retrieval. I DO LOVE cautious flying in the wind because I LOVE flying at high speeds!!! Flying with a 30 MPH wind is fun, the return is quite slow but.....

Its the age old story ................
Flying with wind = aircraft speed + wind speed.
Flying against the wind = aircraft speed - wind speed

Why ? Because the aircraft only knows the air it is in .... it does not know or care about ground below. Its one of the first lessons any RC flier finds out about when he compares downwind and upwind legs of flight.

Nigel

Not only RC fliers but fliers of all aircraft.........:)

Reactions: gsreinke
On the older (not so smart) drones I've had in the past I learned the hard way what wind can do to you if you're not ready for it. When I got my Phantom I was just as careful, at first. I soon learned that, if you're paying attention, it handles it very well at 20-25 MPH. I won't do long distances, just in case.... Loss of GPS in high winds could have you driving to the next county for retrieval. I DO LOVE cautious flying in the wind because I LOVE flying at high speeds!!! Flying with a 30 MPH wind is fun, the return is quite slow but.....

I have always tried to be downwind of my POI when shooting video, especially in windy conditions.

I don't like wind. Phantom is fine but it makes me nervous watching it get kicked around.

Happened to me once: Flying in moderate wind one day and the P4 was possibly hit with a gust that hit the camera so hard it resulted in loss of gimbal control. For the remainder of the flight, the camera was pointed almost straight up. Luckily, I was in line of sight and was able to fly back to the home point and land safely by visually watching the drone. I won't go out in windy conditions again and certainly will not fly too far away if windy.

I use my drone for photography and find I limit my flights to winds 10-15 mph max but prefer much lower wind velocities. I would recommend getting a good wind predictor/forecaster and plan ahead for good flying weather.

As when kayaking, canoeing or similar activities, I also recommend you fly upwind first and leave downwind for returning to Home.

Finally, when you retire, you can take up sailing. Then, sail in higher wind, fly in lower wind. When all else fails (rain) take up model railroading. Here's a view:

I purchased a Digital Handheld Anemometer on Ebay for approx.$25 and use it to determine wind speed at ground level and try to limit myself to 18-20 mph max. Mind you the wind speed at flight altitude could be altogether different but at least I have some idea ??

Also love the piloting aspect. R/C pilot of fixed wing planes and .60 sized gas Heli.
Love my Phantom 3s. Most of the time I forget to even turn on the camera. I practice coordinated turns (left and right stick) in GPS and ATTI modes.
I play a game on breezy days. I'll hover over a sprinkler head in my pasture, switch from GPS to ATTI and try to keep the sprinkler head in the center field of view.
Keep in mind everyone's excellent comments about not letting it get away from you and use the windy day for practice, practice, practice.

Bob

Happened to me once: Flying in moderate wind one day and the P4 was possibly hit with a gust that hit the camera so hard it resulted in loss of gimbal control. For the remainder of the flight, the camera was pointed almost straight up. Luckily, I was in line of sight and was able to fly back to the home point and land safely by visually watching the drone. I won't go out in windy conditions again and certainly will not fly too far away if windy.
There's always the map if you lose decent FPV and out of VLOS. Just make sure you're at a decent height to clear all obstacles.

Reactions: NewMexicoFlyer
Also love the piloting aspect. R/C pilot of fixed wing planes and .60 sized gas Heli.
Love my Phantom 3s. Most of the time I forget to even turn on the camera. I practice coordinated turns (left and right stick) in GPS and ATTI modes.
I play a game on breezy days. I'll hover over a sprinkler head in my pasture, switch from GPS to ATTI and try to keep the sprinkler head in the center field of view.
Keep in mind everyone's excellent comments about not letting it get away from you and use the windy day for practice, practice, practice.

Bob
One of my favorite maneuvers (now with the Phantom also) was doing a circle about a spot - nose pointed at the spot at all times, even radius throughout the circle, and holding height. Much more fun in the wind! Enjoy!!!!

Basically, quads of this size, and as sophisticated as they are, are just toys.

I don't fly my quads in anything above light and variable.

They don't have the grunt.

I agree. I have seen my P3S standing on its prop guards in 6/11 winds. My problem is getting it back down once it's up in those winds without bumping something. It helps to practice a lot in atti mode.

I agree. I have seen my P3S standing on its prop guards in 6/11 winds. My problem is getting it back down once it's up in those winds without bumping something. It helps to practice a lot in atti mode.

Your P3 will handle wind much better without prop guards.

Just a thought...

Wednesday I was out and it got windy. I was working an alfalfa field and its quite lumpy, so I have a rug I was launching and landing on. I trampled the rug to make it as flat as possible but there were undulations in it anyway.

I came in and was hovering about to land and caught a gust so I kept the hover. Not liking the amount of wind I was encountering, and fearing a tip-over upon landing, I selected a spot on my lumpy rug that actually was not level but would be tipping the craft slightly INTO the wind upon touchdown (probably less than a ten degree incline). Worked great. Set down and was stable through engine shutdown.

If you picture the rotor paths as actual discs, you can see that if the wind gets up under them it presents a lot more drag to cause a tip over. Its like, hold your hand out the window driving down the road ...... hold it level (parallel) with the relative wind, and you don't feel much resistance. But the instance you angle your hand in the wind, you are creating more drag and you feel the resistance. Put your hand flat (perpendicular) to the wind, and it wants to slam your arm against the window rail.

PS: My back up plan was to "walk" the thing down the hill and land on the leeward side of my house, but I would have had to maneuver under a couple of trees. Still new (was my third flight), but it was an option and I think I would have been fine with that.

I mention the "PS" because when flying, it doesn't hurt to come up with a backup plan in case conditions change and your risk/reward starts to look outta balance.

just a thought ......

Reactions: bob_moodytx
Well, that last little bit (150kph) was damned stupid, what a waste of a nice drone!
What was the point! The outcome was always inevitable.

When flying in windy conditions I try to keep my Phantom upwind of me. I have flown in just about limiting conditions, but only in an open field, not near trees or other obstacles.
Also remember that "return to home" mode will involve a climb and almost certainly even stronger winds, so NOT a good idea in such conditions.

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart