Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by rnk9484, May 1, 2016.

1. rnk9484

Hi all,
    Just signed up for this great forum! I'm planning a trip to New Zealand with my kids this July and want to take my P3. Any advice or experiences out there regarding drone laws in New Zealand?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

New Zealand

Some of the regulations: Drones must be flown under 400 feet, must be kept in the line of sight, can only fly during the day, must stay at least 4 km away from aerodromes, and must weigh under 25 kg. New Zealand permits the commercial usage of drones as long as other rules are followed.

Here is the official CAA site - https://www.caa.govt.nz/rpas/

3. Aotearoa Kiwi

In NZ the go-to site for information - www.airshare.co.nz

Basically you cannot fly in 'controlled airspace' without permission, the only problem there is the major cities eg all of Wellington area (the capital city), and all of greater Auckland (most populous city) are controlled airspaces! - go to the airshare site and it has a good interactive map of the controlled airspaces.

There is an exemption where you have a physical barrier between you and the controlled airspaces, otherwise login to airshare and register your' flight - they come back with an 'ok'.
    You dont need to take a '101' but should read it.
    There is also an escape clause that says you dont need to register your flight as long as you dont fly above the treeline or building height - shielded flight

On top of the CAA rules covered in the airshare site, you have to abide by the local council rules - I live in Auckland and the Auckland Council have no official 'procedure' for flying in public places and parks but they give permission to fly in these places as long as you dont interfere with other activities in the parks etc. eg dont fly over the local soccer club match. The only other public places restriction (renember, I am talking Auckland here - where I fly) is you are not allowed to fly over people without first asking their permission.

source: Rules and guidelines for flying drones

A first for New Zealand - a person was today in court found guilty for flying his Phantom filming a bush-fire while helicopters were in the sky fighting the fire - charged with endangering a helicopter pilot i think - something I dont recommend doing! - anywhere in the world!

#3 Aotearoa Kiwi, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Raftcomm likes this.
  4. rnk9484

Thank you for the warm welcome and the good information about New Zealand .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. Msw46

If you have never been to NZ it's a great place to visit with your phantom enjoy

6. Raftcomm

Thanks for putting up this useful information. I currently live in Auckland and am researching about flying drones in NZ before deciding to purchase one.

Have you ever applied to fly in a controlled air space and was granted permission? I do unfortunately live within the controlled airspace region but would like to film areas around my home. I'm just wondering if that's even possible now.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app