Flying from inside house or car anyone?

image.png
Cant you find it on amazon?
This guy accepted my offer for $1 a foot, actually better, free shipping @ that price is about as good as it gets. Lmr has a loss of about 6.8dB over 100', so I'm at 3.4dB loss, if I can make it 40' that's like what 2.72dB loss. It may not be worth it to cut it and do one of these badass connections myself, I've looked into it, I'm sure I can do it with the tool for $29 (Amazon) but at least 50' I won't be short. I have a 25' sitting here of TM, this is Wilson but from what I've found, same specs, same quality, it's made here prolly off same manufacturing plant. Only difference is its white, they have blk too.
I'm close man

View attachment 57156
This guy accepted my offer for $1 a foot, actually better, free shipping @ that price is about as good as it gets. Lmr has a loss of about 6.8dB over 100', so I'm at 3.4dB loss, if I can make it 40' that's like what 2.72dB loss. It may not be worth it to cut it and do one of these badass connections myself, I've looked into it, I'm sure I can do it with the tool for $29 (Amazon) but at least 50' I won't be short. I have a 25' sitting here of TM, this is Wilson but from what I've found, same specs, same quality, it's made here prolly off same manufacturing plant. Only difference is its white, they have blk too.
I'm close man

50ft is completely fine and remember I have another 10ft of lmr 240 from my remote and can go farther than the battery can get out and back. I was going to do the battery mod but now my p4 motor mounts have both cracked on the back. I've never crashed or had a hard landing so a battery mod is **** if u ask me because it's just a matter of time before they crack and warranty is voided.

Reactions: BoydBros
Did any one try to use wifi repeater to repeat the transmitting signal , so that you can put the repeater in the attic and you do not have to attach your receiver to the over house antenna . I imagine if this would be possible the repeater has to consider the P4 transmitter as a router.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would not work for this type of signal.

50ft is completely fine and remember I have another 10ft of lmr 240 from my remote and can go farther than the battery can get out and back. I was going to do the battery mod but now my p4 motor mounts have both cracked on the back. I've never crashed or had a hard landing so a battery mod is **** if u ask me because it's just a matter of time before they crack and warranty is voided.
Dude! Really!? I thought I HD read something and figured the guy was blowing smoke!
That's really bad dude, I've got like 1.2m feet, or about 200 miles but only maybe 50 miles on this latest P4, where are they at? There's prolly a post about this eh? I'll have to do some research now, I figure it's only a matter of time before we lose you to the crowd that has the high end DJI stuff out anyway Jeremiah, lol.

I also have two 6' whips of the LMR-240. Everything is now bought and paid for, should be up and running next week with figures, I don't expect the same results though, in fact, I was just doing an early morning flight, and noticed that I need to see the **** thing to fly it "through the needle" because of trees and limbs, so I now until then will be testing landing and takeoffs that I can't see that well, my front yard it totally covered with trees and not level at all, once I'm close I know I can set it down easy, it's the getting close that's gonna be a problem, plus I know I'll be let down by the range so, I don't have high hopes, it's just my luck, both of my amps better light up, as it is now only on the big antenna, the downlink barely registers and doesn't glow purple (blue) but after switching them, I know they work, both glow in smaller DBS, must be the antenna but that checks out without amps to work pretty well, see, it's just my luck

Hey people I have some questions regarding amplifiers

1. Can I amplify only one side of the
Remote since my problem is loosing control before loosing video .

2. Can I use couple of cheap 2. amplifiers that I have instead of the expensive sunhans ones.
I have one that is $27 in the pictures
f24134892c90b349de5a9a1679ecd2c8.jpg
e4826838d500af30590ab58ae3017c8d.jpg

Dude! Really!? I thought I HD read something and figured the guy was blowing smoke!
That's really bad dude, I've got like 1.2m feet, or about 200 miles but only maybe 50 miles on this latest P4, where are they at? There's prolly a post about this eh? I'll have to do some research now, I figure it's only a matter of time before we lose you to the crowd that has the high end DJI stuff out anyway Jeremiah, lol.

They are on the back and really bad. I didn't take any pics should have tho. I boxed it up and sent back to dji for repair. No I have gotten into a lot of custom stuff but I will always have a phantom to fly on the home setup. The custom stuff is getting kind of big and the small size and reliability of the phantom it perfect for this. I am not worried about sending the phantom high up over residential areas. Its a little different when you have 20,000mah of batteries in that regard.

I don't understand, I went and did some research and saw the cracks, jeez. If it is out of warranty I see ppl saying some epoxy and it stops it.
Did you happen to go thru yours like I did and check for loose screws and possibly tighten them a little bit when checking? I did and now I wonder if maybe they're a little too tight, that could cause cracks, some things need a little give to function. I doubt you even did that, I am more talking about the future for mine.
So, I am right to be concerned about my landings from inside the house, the camera doesn't give that well of distance and I'm thinking of some type of spot in backyard, I'll have to line it up with camera down all the way, and just try that a couple times while out there to physically see how close it comes to branches, once I do that I'll be able to set her down.
This is where the vision positioning system comes into much better play then the paltry P3p/a with its 30' on down. The camera doesn't do a good job but the radar seems to be pretty reliable. I've even tested some of the auto landing but I can set it down lighter then that does by 1/4 so, I just need to clear legit 100' - 90' trees

Oh, is that what it is! A battery pack? Lol I have same one just not black, as soo as I saw the IQ and two USBs I knew what it was, I thought it was some type of channel thing or some other deal I'm not familiar with.
I have a resort about 4500' from my house, it's nice and has these cool pools and miniature golf, one of the pools is like a track where you float in these crazy angles and eventually you end up where u started. Anyway it's a destination for me as it's through a bunch of trees and a few houses, I've been the furthest with the amps and my smaller DBS antenna. I've since been given new info on kit to use upper channels in the 32ch hack so I'll try and do better.
You use your RTH often? Or just once in a while? The way it writes is you just run it out and let it come back, I've only had a RTH twice and once was only 20 seconds, the second time was more nerve racking, but she always comes back, so far! Lol
Good luck! Btw where are u at? Noticed you used (is that a franc?) not the American note anyway...lol
Did you see those really cool antenna trackers! I'd actually love to use this, uses a tiny deal with GPS on the bird, and tracks it as it fly's for perfect alignment, could use some really powerful yagi antenna that are directionals.

2. Can I use couple of cheap 2. amplifiers that I have instead of the expensive sunhans ones.

I don't see why not, if they're like the Sunhans I know there are some cheap ones on Amazon too that are 2W but only like $30 and if they are half duplex, time derivative or whatever, then sure.
I think what will happen is its easier to just run both, I think that once you do the downlink you'll next lose flight control, so for the $30 just put one on each, if you can't, then I'd still say why not, I'm not certain you'll get too much further but I think it would work at least for a short distance give you at least a better DL feed

My inventory is quite built up, have two whips of 240, three runs of 400 (two 50' and a 25') two killer Hawking's (I hope you are right and these are the best Jeremiah! Lol I turned down 12 and 15dB's for these) all the hardware, ready to maybe have my buddy come over and do some drinking and maybe a little smoking and do this install. Going to put the lighting suppresors, or arrestors really, down low right before the whips, then tie them into house ground, so I'll be all safe and got a can of foam to seal to the hole the LMR-400 cable goes thru, woohoo! It's all come down to this J!
I even have a spool of 10g for the grounding, I bought red and black (need some for the RZR's light kit I've been working on for months lol)

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Ok, antenna mounted, cables thru and sealed to attic, but had scare of my life at only about 400' away today, while my buddy was doing the antenna's for me.
Bird disconnected and went red, no signal, app froze. Bird started coming home, as it was landing the sensors had a line thru them, not working, was gonna land on some Branches.
Oh, right before the signal dropped, at full speed, it did a kinda, wheelie type movement, this was in sport mode, enough where my friend asked "what was that" I said " I dunno" then signal lost. Anyway as it was coming down, it let me thread the needle and get her down.
Here's the problem, if I woulda been in the room, I doubt I coulda brought her in, as it was I had my hands full, I can also assure a newbie would have lost it, it was that close.
Anyway, test begin tomorrow, found a way to place to land on side of house to land.

In hindsight I had left the thing in sport, that's why sensors weren't on, normally we have time to think, it was already coming down above us before I knew it, as it was only 400' maybe less even, had it been even 1000' away I would have had more time to "think"
Closest I've come to losing a bird. So, I may attribute it to the amps being left off, because they were, when I got any distance it lost connection. Resistance thru amps with them off was just too much prolly

Last edited:
Ok, antenna mounted, cables thru and sealed to attic, but had scare of my life at only about 400' away today, while my buddy was doing the antenna's for me.
Bird disconnected and went red, no signal, app froze. Bird started coming home, as it was landing the sensors had a line thru them, not working, was gonna land on some Branches.
Oh, right before the signal dropped, at full speed, it did a kinda, wheelie type movement, this was in sport mode, enough where my friend asked "what was that" I said " I dunno" then signal lost. Anyway as it was coming down, it let me thread the needle and get her down.
Here's the problem, if I woulda been in the room, I doubt I coulda brought her in, as it was I had my hands full, I can also assure a newbie would have lost it, it was that close.
Anyway, test begin tomorrow, found a way to place to land on side of house to land.

In hindsight I had left the thing in sport, that's why sensors weren't on, normally we have time to think, it was already coming down above us before I knew it, as it was only 400' maybe less even, had it been even 1000' away I would have had more time to "think"
Closest I've come to losing a bird. So, I may attribute it to the amps being left off, because they were, when I got any distance it lost connection. Resistance thru amps with them off was just too much prolly

Ive never had a problem knock on wood but yes it could be a problem especially proximity flying when landing. If you get into trouble close to the ground the natural reaction is to over react. You will need to practice and be able to time your movements because of lag. With some practice I can fly mine in very tight spaces and feel completely in control.

1. Yes. Only one side of the RC transmits, so a booster on the other side won't to anything to boost the transmit signal.

As far as whether or not a booster will help on the receive side, that's hard to say. If the booster's preamp has less noise than the RC reciever's preamp then it might. If on the other hand the booster's preamp has more noise then adding it could actually make things worse.

One more note re booster power. These boosters typically spec at 13-16db of transmit side gain. The Phantom RC puts out about 12dBm peak. 16 Db of gain is going to give you 28 dBm, still less than 1 watt. Whether the booster is rated at 1W, 2W, 2.5W or 3W isn't going to matter.

Reactions: BoydBros
Hi i have flown P4 in the House... in P mode.. i heard i need to fly in A mode... Which one right?

Phantom4 Unusual Indoor Flight & Unboxing while Nano QX2 is watching

Hi i have flown P4 in the House... in P mode.. i heard i need to fly in A mode... Which one right?

Phantom4 Unusual Indoor Flight & Unboxing while Nano QX2 is watching
It's going to use VPS anyway, so it really shouldn't matter. Heck, put into Sport Mode! :eek::p

I don't think ATTI will hold your XY coordinates when indoors, it will wander, but it will hold the altitude constant. I suggest trying P mode first.
I haven't tried it, but I thought VPS, if active, would supersede all modes for position and altitude holding within its range of 3 meters of the ground for the P3 and 10 meters for the P4. Is that not the case?

1. Yes. Only one side of the RC transmits, so a booster on the other side won't to anything to boost the transmit signal.

As far as whether or not a booster will help on the receive side, that's hard to say. If the booster's preamp has less noise than the RC reciever's preamp then it might. If on the other hand the booster's preamp has more noise then adding it could actually make things worse.

One more note re booster power. These boosters typically spec at 13-16db of transmit side gain. The Phantom RC puts out about 12dBm peak. 16 Db of gain is going to give you 28 dBm, still less than 1 watt. Whether the booster is rated at 1W, 2W, 2.5W or 3W isn't going to matter.
My boosters have 36dbm, and tested right here on this site to do about 33 if I remember correctly, not all are built the same, that's why these are $90 and not $30 I'm, after loss prolly at about 49-50dBm, way over FCC limits either way.

I haven't tried it, but I thought VPS, if active, would supersede all modes for position and altitude holding within its range of 3 meters of the ground for the P3 and 10 meters for the P4. Is that not the case?
I get a lock sometimes though inside the house, if you can the using both is still the best I'd think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94