Flying from inside house or car anyone?

So engineering is nonsense to you?

1000ft high? 50ft antenna extension? Really? You want us to believe that ********?
Your numbers don't make any sense. I'm starting to think you are a troll.
As to your video, you are exactly proving my point: flying low with such an antenna will work, and will get you the extra range.

It is obvious you know nothing about antenna theory nor practices. Obviously, when you are in the cone you will observe at any distance X from the controller a higher signal than that of a flat antenna, and hence better penetration, but the downside is that it has to be aimed more accurately. I had tried with my p2v+ an 8dbi antenna and observed exactly this behavior: while it went farther, I had to keep the antenna perpendicular to the phantom, or I would lose connection a lot faster than with my regular antenna. I had better results with a flat antenna because it had a 70 degree cone, especially as it was getting outside my LOS.

Note, I am not debating you are getting that range. Just the effectiveness of such a setup.

What reason would he have to lie to us? I am sorry but I will trust a true field report any day over paper theory. The two do not often match up in the real world. Ignore this guy Jeremiah. Thank you for your reports.

I am not here to prove anything to you only to share what I've done with others. You are the troll here. Nowhere did I claim to be an expert. Last spring I wanted to build an indoor ground station for the p3. I researched and I ordered idk 700 to a thousand dollars worth of stuff. Expensive low loss cable 2 50ft extensions amps 5watt on video ect and hawking 9dbi wifi antennas. After setting it all up and flying on this system for a year now I read wat you said and its actually irritating because u have no clue. I am hitting close to 6 miles with that setup and yes I can be 800ft straight above my house with no problems. Also, your p2 is irrelevant as it does not have lightbridge and my ground station was built specifically for 2.4. Here are the house antennas and the cables coming out of the wall.

Attachments

• 1462207646956.jpg
    1462207646956.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 701
  • 1462207664057.jpg
    1462207664057.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 601
Here is a pic of a 20,000ft flight with the indoor setup with 50ft extensions and rooftop antennas. I am only losing control signal because I installed fpvlr bird side amp. It sucks I took it off.

Attachments

• 1462208053683.jpg
    1462208053683.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 642
Reactions: NormanNormal
What reason would he have to lie to us? I am sorry but I will trust a true field report any day over paper theory. The two do not often match up in the real world. Ignore this guy Jeremiah. Thank you for your reports.
Thanks buddy. I knew his type would show up. Anyway, it's unconventional to use something like this and there is zero info about this. I took a risk and shelled out the cash and did it. It paid off. Use the info and do what u will. There are windsurfers for 14 bucks for the others lol

Anyone who is interested just ask. I am not here to argue but to help others who have legitimate uses for this. Despite what naysayers say u will not be arrested for flying from inside your car. Could you be? Probably. But unlikely. Cops are eager to watch from experience.
that's a nice setup. I never seen anything like that. Maybe next time you can make small video with the tools needed so we can try it our self. The type of Antenna and the site you got all your parts....

1000ft high? 50ft antenna extension? Really? You want us to believe that ********?

Obviously, when you are in the cone you will observe at any distance X from the controller a higher signal than that of a flat antenna, and hence better penetration, but the downside is that it has to be aimed more accurately. I had tried with my p2v+ an 8dbi antenna and observed exactly this behavior: while it went farther, I had to keep the antenna perpendicular to the phantom, or I would lose connection a lot faster than with my regular antenna. I had better results with a flat antenna because it had a 70 degree cone, especially as it was getting outside my LOS.

P2's use wifi, like all the other manufacturers (correct me if I'm wrong). Wifi is a bidirectional communication protocol that has a lot of handshaking that can be finicky when transmitting video to the ground. If you lose a bit, the packet is resent due to the check sum not matching. As you get in fringe areas this becomes a problem, and re-establishing a new wifi connection takes a while. I was very annoyed with that when I had a Yuneec Q500+ last year.

Lightbridge is a one way communication technology. The right antenna receives video and telemetry data from the craft, the left antenna sends control signals to navigate the craft. These two signals are "one way" broadcast technology, like digital TV from the top of a hill, there is no synchronizing or handshaking to make a connection, hence it's much less finicky, easier and quicker to make a connection, and any little lost bit doesn't upset the connection integrity applecart, like Wifi. It's a more simple protocol that maximizes distance for video transmission, which is obviously why DJI invented it.

So you are comparing apples to oranges when you use your P2 (Wifi) antenna results with a P3 or P4 with Lightbridge, especially when Lightbridge is amped up so much using the Sunhans devices.

You sound like a smart dude, however I'm sure you realize that theories are not hard facts, they are only theories that are not always true across the board with all frequencies and communications protocols. Before you trash somebody's field results as "BS", you should be courteous enough to test the same setup. You might learn something. If you can't afford to test it, then I suggest you be more courteous and keep your theory thoughts to yourself, because they don't hold water without relevant test results that are different.

Last edited:
P2's use wifi, like all the other manufacturers (correct me if I'm wrong). Wifi is a bidirectional communication protocol that has a lot of handshaking that can be finicky when transmitting video to the ground. If you lose a bit, the packet is resent due to the check sum not matching. As you get in fringe areas this becomes a problem, and re-establishing a new wifi connection takes a while. I was very annoyed with that when I had a Yuneec Q500+ last year.

Lightbridge is a one way communication technology. The right antenna receives video and telemetry data from the craft, the left antenna sends control signals to navigate the craft. These two signals are "one way" broadcast technology, like digital TV from the top of a hill, there is no synchronizing or handshaking to make a connection, hence it's much less finicky, easier and quicker to make a connection, and any little lost bit doesn't upset the connection integrity applecart, like Wifi. It's a more simple protocol that maximizes distance for video transmission, which is obviously why DJI invented it.

So you are comparing apples to oranges when you use your P2 (Wifi) antenna results with a P3 or P4 with Lightbridge, especially when Lightbridge is amped up so much using the Sunhans devices.

You sound like a smart dude, however I'm sure you realize that theories are not hard facts, they are only theories that are not always true across the board with all frequencies and communications protocols. Before you trash somebody's field results as "BS", you should be courteous enough to test the same setup. You might learn something. If you can't afford to test it, then I suggest you be more courteous and keep your theory thoughts to yourself, because they don't hold water without relevant test results that are different.

I actually agree with all you said. I should have just stuck to facts and let others reach their own conclusions.

As to the facts: regardless of the technology, there needs to be a wave emanating from the controller that will reach the bird. If it does not reach it, the handshake is irrelevant. I have to reemphasize: I am not debating his range. Being at 1000ft high, when you are at 20,000 ft distance, is definitely within the radiation cone.

As to me calling his BS, use whatever better term you want but look at his roof and tell me if that is a 50ft antenna. For comparison purposes the following is a real 50ft antenna tower:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462230658.023334.jpg

I actually agree with all you said. I should have just stuck to facts and let others reach their own conclusions.

As to the facts: regardless of the technology, there needs to be a wave emanating from the controller that will reach the bird. If it does not reach it, the handshake is irrelevant. I have to reemphasize: I am not debating his range. Being at 1000ft high, when you are at 20,000 ft distance, is definitely within the radiation cone.

As to me calling his BS, use whatever better term you want but look at his roof and tell me if that is a 50ft antenna. For comparison purposes the following is a real 50ft antenna tower:
View attachment 52423

Hey man, again I never said my antenna was 50ft in the air. I have 50ft of lmr-400 extension from the roof to my office

Oh man, that was an incredible video. It appears you've done some FPV racing before. I'm way too cautious to wander through a forest like that at speed. That's some pretty fancy piloting Mr. Nelson.

Yeah I could not believe that video. That set of balls on this man, huge. :D I would never attempt what he did but man did he do it so well and with style, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka