Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I gotcha, I totally missed that you had two on your car.
One for video and one for RC
They might make a splitter to put both cables to just the one antenna but that would probably create issues I am not aware of.
You got a good thing going with your setup

So I could do this un-amplified and it might work, but regardless I need 2 of the antennas.
I think you said yours are amplified.
Are these the amps you are using?
Sunhans SHRC24G3WP 2.4ghz 3W Amplifier
If not which ones are you using?
Thanks

Don't know why you would use only one antenna. You need 2 and 2 amps to get the most out of this setup. All the info is in here if you want to try. But if you wanted to not use your camera then you could use just one antenna for control I guess.

Don't know why you would use only one antenna. You need 2 and 2 amps to get the most out of this setup. All the info is in here if you want to try. But if you wanted to not use your camera then you could use just one antenna for control I guess.
Yup, looks like a decent investment.
I am guessing you got these amps or similar ones:
Sunhans SHRC24G3WP 2.4ghz 3W Amplifier
I am going to install the itelite antenna this weekend and see how that goes, and then go from there.

Reactions: AMC724
Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so what's your indoor setup? Here is mine on my car. 20,000ft with room to go further. I also have a setup just like this for my house using high quality low loss cable with the same results!
Thats over a 37mph average. Seems almost to fast to be true

Hey guys, If you are planning on doing this spend the money and get the l-coms. I tested a smaller set that used the antennas that come with the suhans amps. It works ok. But nothing like the l coms. If you want to piddle around the cheap ones will be fine and you will get ok distance line of sight. Penetration completely sucks with the cheap ones.

Yup...I decided to spend approx. $25 with this setup just to see if it's something I would be comfortable with. It was an interesting experience. I ordered from Data Alliance and I think they sent me the wrong magnetic base because the cable was much shorter than the 6.5ft length specified on their website. How long is the cable that came with your L-com magnetic antenna? I wanted the longer cable just in case I need to step out of my Tahoe to hand catch or to get a better view for landing.

IMG_3598.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,315
Reactions: trevornewkirk
Yup...I decided to spend approx. $25 with this setup just to see if it's something I would be comfortable with. It was an interesting experience. I ordered from Data Alliance and I think they sent me the wrong magnetic base because the cable was much shorter than the 6.5ft length specified on their website. How long is the cable that came with your L-com magnetic antenna? I wanted the longer cable just in case I need to step out of my Tahoe to hand catch or to get a better view for landing.

View attachment 51932
Where you happy with the performance/range?
Are they amplified?

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Where you happy with the performance/range?
Are they amplified?

I flew from my driveway (while sitting in my Tahoe) and only went out to about 2000ft then came back because I didn't want to stay out too long. Lately, my drone has been attracting bees.

2000ft is not too bad considering my surrounding environment, i.e., wifi congestion, two-story homes, trees, power lines, etc.

I just disconnected the black cables from the antenna end of sunhans amps and connected roof mounted antennas. I forgot to take pics of that connection but the following pics shows my setup (without connection to roof mounted antennas). I like this setup because it come apart very easily and amps, battery, and cables, all come off together and stay together.

I thought it would affect signal performance, but so far all is good.

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 954
  • IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 991
  • IMG_3605.JPG
    IMG_3605.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 910
  • IMG_3606.JPG
    IMG_3606.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 923
  • IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 945
  • IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 989
  • IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 968
  • IMG_3610.JPG
    IMG_3610.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,341

View attachment 51932
They are 10ft. IVe had plenty of practice using only the cam to land and never have had a problem yet.

I flew from my driveway (while sitting in my Tahoe) and only went out to about 2000ft then came back because I didn't want to stay out too long. Lately, my drone has been attracting bees.

2000ft is not too bad considering my surrounding environment, i.e., wifi congestion, two-story homes, trees, power lines, etc.

I just disconnected the black cables from the antenna end of sunhans amps and connected roof mounted antennas. I forgot to take pics of that connection but the following pics shows my setup (without connection to roof mounted antennas). I like this setup because it come apart very easily and amps, battery, and cables, all come off together and stay together.

Nice setup. Wish i had that :)

They are 10ft. IVe had plenty of practice using only the cam to land and never have had a problem yet.

Thanks! Another question before I order from L-con. What is the connection type from the antenna to the magnetic base?

The antenna I used for my test setup has RPSMA male to connect to RPSMA female on magnetic base...which is a crappy one too. It doesn't stick well on my Tahoe. Weak magnet! And the cable length is only 5ft (supposed to be 6.5ft) with RPSMA male.

I'll definitely have to practice landing via camera view and/or while sitting in my car. o_O

Nice setup. I like how you have the amps mounted to the bottom of the antenna, has a nice clean look.
Would be interested in a few things.
How the range from inside your car varies with the following:
Flying using the amps and external antenna's on your car,
Flying using the amps and itelite antenna from inside your car,
& Flying using just the external antenna's on your car (bypassing the amps)

Thanks! Another question before I order from L-con. What is the connection type from the antenna to the magnetic base?

The antenna I used for my test setup has RPSMA male to connect to RPSMA female on magnetic base...which is a crappy one too. It doesn't stick well on my Tahoe. Weak magnet! And the cable length is only 5ft (supposed to be 6.5ft) with RPSMA male.

I'll definitely have to practice landing via camera view and/or while sitting in my car. o_O
Its an n connector. The l coms stick very well.

Nice setup. I like how you have the amps mounted to the bottom of the antenna, has a nice clean look.
Would be interested in a few things.
How the range from inside your car varies with the following:
Flying using the amps and external antenna's on your car,
Flying using the amps and itelite antenna from inside your car,
& Flying using just the external antenna's on your car (bypassing the amps)

Thanks!

Remember, range will vary based on surrounding environment. So, with the little amount of time I've had to fly with the setups you've mentioned; cheap $25 external setup from Data-alliance, and from my home, I can say this:

1) Not as far as my DBS antenna mod (unboosted).
2) Very poor. Maybe my Tahoe has very thick metal...lol.
3) Worse than my number one answer.

Please keep in mind that I haven't flown enough times with these setups, and they were just one-offs. I'll need to spend a little more time flying to give you a better answer....which I hope to do soon. I'll update this when I do so.

So correct me if I am wrong, but for folks late to the party here is what is needed:

2 of these:
2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omni Antenna w/ Magnetic Mount - 10ft RP-SMA Plug Connector - HG2409MGU-RSP
$162.14 plus shipping

1 of these:
DJI - Evo Kit
$264.99

Total 427.13

Plus you really should get an itelite antenna for when not using the omni antenna (and clean install kit)
Roughly around $145

So for everything (assuming you don't pay for install) you are looking at around 5 to 6 hundred bucks.
(there is a coupon code floating around for Maxx UAV)

I am going to install my itelite antenna (unboosted) with clean install kit this weekend and see how that performs, in and out of the vehicle.

Reactions: BoydBros
So correct me if I am wrong, but for folks late to the party here is what is needed:

2 of these:
2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omni Antenna w/ Magnetic Mount - 10ft RP-SMA Plug Connector - HG2409MGU-RSP
$162.14 plus shipping

1 of these:
DJI - Evo Kit
$264.99

Total 427.13

Plus you really should get an itelite antenna for when not using the omni antenna (and clean install kit)
Roughly around $145

So for everything (assuming you don't pay for install) you are looking at around 5 to 6 hundred bucks.
(there is a coupon code floating around for Maxx UAV)

I am going to install my itelite antenna (unboosted) with clean install kit this weekend and see how that performs, in and out of the vehicle.

Sounds about right. Be careful with the word "needed". Depending on what you'd like to run, you don't need the EVO kit to run the external kit antennas on your vehicle. Just the internal cabling with RPSMA females sticking out of controller. That said, any after market antenna mod kit from Maxx UAV will do.

Good luck with your install. Take your time and you'll find that it's simple to install. Oh, and go easy on the screws when putting it together. Screw posts on controller MAY be fragile/brittle.

Sounds about right. Be careful with the word "needed". Depending on what you'd like to run, you don't need the EVO kit to run the external kit antennas on your vehicle. Just the internal cabling with RPSMA females sticking out of controller. That said, any after market antenna mod kit from Maxx UAV will do.

Good luck with your install. Take your time and you'll find that it's simple to install. Oh, and go easy on the screws when putting it together. Screw posts on controller MAY be fragile/brittle.
Good point. There are a lot of options available, but if you mod your remote I guess you could screw anything to the terminals on the top when not using the roof mount antenna's,
such as this?
Antenna 2.4GHz 7dBi Directional Panel w/ RP-SMA. Signal Booster
Also you don't need the amps, of course one would assume they would help.It would be interesting if Jeremiah Nelson ran his same setup bypassing his amps just to see how much that degrades the signal.

Good point. There are a lot of options available, but if you mod your remote I guess you could screw anything to the terminals on the top when not using the roof mount antenna's,
such as this?
Also you don't need the amps, of course one would assume they would help.It would be interesting if Jeremiah Nelson ran his same setup bypassing his amps just to see how much that degrades the signal.
such as this?

I havent really tested much without amps. My matrice I did once and flew out to 10,000ft no problem but I was not going for distance. I will always use amps now that I have the maxxuav set up. THe new smaller uav suhans with usb battery pack is the ****!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20