Flying from inside house or car anyone?

I am new to flying from home. I like the idea since I live in Dallas very hot outside, I had my receiver modified to accept RP male SMA
Then I used TP link 8dBi instead of the stock antenna, it works great and I can get 3 km distance in 3 directions and 1 km to the west since there is a forest with long trees on the west side. (See pict 1 2 )
Now I invested on buying two 50 feet each Cables and two 5 feet long antenna each 15 dBi and temporary install them in my attic to test them ( see pic 3 4) I know this is not ideal but a temporary solution to test what range I can get flying from home.

I was disappointed that I got about 1 km to the north direction and two Km to the east and 500 meters to the west .my goal is to get 3km in all direction since the antenna is 13 meter high. And it should be omnidirectional, What I am going wrong ? Please advice
I have a couple of cheap wifi amplifiers ( see pic 5) but I do not know how to use them and indeed I do not prefer to use them since my goal is only 3 km (2 miles) but I need it in all directions, can I achieve this without amplifiers ? And why the antenna although omnidirectional it behaves like directions one?
I would appreciate any help from you guys .
23fbfbcccbfc87bf3d159e4584f7749d_thumb.jpg
aab06f04a633529afdcb11bb19924984_thumb.jpg
23efdb4196922e56f009f9bb2a76a7f3_thumb.jpg
a929c5524f8632e7973dafbf8af38746.jpg
fbd87f1d155226a2a66fc9e235190f7f_thumb.jpg
817406f2e5a1854eb5368546cc45ec3e_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

the black tp-link is working very well indeed. The 15dbi got a very narrow vertical beam. (6 degrees If I remember) a Little outside and you loose gain. Futher, the attic is not same as LOS. Next is that antennas and cables build a system with SWR, resonance, etc... It's not only gain...
Next question is how much noise you got on the channel in use.
If your receiving signal at the antenna is -85db and your noise level is around same (at the specific frequency) you'll loose signal way earlier. Also If you loose Another 6db (e.g.) along the way it makes thing worse. I would use low noise amps near to antenna. Especially Rx is critical.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Than you IBV for your reply .
I understand that all the tall antennae has very narrow vertical beam . So do you recommend using a different antenna , I still can return those two TP link but let me know which ones you suggest .

Regarding the amplifier if I have to use it how can I know the noise level of it .

No they are not cheap! What amps did you get?

amps: For Rx: 3 Watt 2.4 GHz 802.11b Outdoor Amplifier - HA2401-XL3000
for Tx/FC: 6 Watt 2.4 GHz WiFi Amplifiers with Active Power Control

That should make sure that Range and penetration are well increased. They are quality products and that's what we need when stretching the system so far.
Safety is important and these amps contribute to it.
I got the mast and pan/tilt unit. Working on welding an aluminium construction for it that self-levels with some control unit so I can get this on the roof of my van and control the mast as well as pan/tilt unit from inside the van. I constructed a boom with a fast-fixing antenna mount so I can exchange the various antennas on this boom( slide bar) very easy and quickly. With the omnis and parabolic antennas as "default" set-up.. The tests Will be fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: BoydBros
Jeremiah: you have saved me allot of physical pain and danger, this is what I used to do before I came across your thread, and had always wondered if there was a way to mount antaennas with an amp to the RC!!

Thanks a bunch, now I got to get all the hardware and a servo to be able to move the direction of the antaenna from my couch.

da21c21875907b33b3e5566dde453783_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

How to determine which antenna on the p4 receiver is RX and which is TX.. My intention is to amplify the RX side near the external antenna

Jeremiah: you have saved me allot of physical pain and danger, this is what I used to do before I came across your thread, and had always wondered if there was a way to mount antaennas with an amp to the RC!!

Thanks a bunch, now I got to get all the hardware and a servo to be able to move the direction of the antaenna from my couch.

da21c21875907b33b3e5566dde453783_thumb.jpg

I don't think you really need to use a tracker. What kind of antenna do u plan to use?

I don't think you really need to use a tracker. What kind of antenna do u plan to use?

Tracker is not easy to get working for lightbridge. ( if not using another noise making sender on the bird). But: Tracking manually using a joystick makes sense. This is what we actually anyway do with RC mounted directional antennas. I track manually with joystick and pan/tilt unit. Works great.

Hey Jeremiah,
By adding a motor to the antaenna I meant a manual one where I can move the direction manually and not by any automatic means. At my house I have good LOS in one direction which I have got 8.5 miles, the other the directions is terrible. So I wanted to be able to move the panels accordingly.
Right now I was thinking of using the maxx panel that I have, I got the gold amps already. Do I need to install amps near the panel on the roof too? I've read through the thread but there is too much for an old guy like me to absorb. Can you give me a breakdown of what to get exactly? No problem getting different panel or hardware, I will borrow the money from the troll who is making tons of money

Hey Jeremiah,
By adding a motor to the antaenna I meant a manual one where I can move the direction manually and not by any automatic means. At my house I have good LOS in one direction which I have got 8.5 miles, the other the directions is terrible. So I wanted to be able to move the panels accordingly.
Right now I was thinking of using the maxx panel that I have, I got the gold amps already. Do I need to install amps near the panel on the roof too? I've read through the thread but there is too much for an old guy like me to absorb. Can you give me a breakdown of what to get exactly? No problem getting different panel or hardware, I will borrow the money from the troll who is making tons of money

Lol I used to do the same thing!

Did I curse cause I don't remember if I did and if I did I didn't mean to!

Anyways, this is what I'm going to do. Please let me know what I need to change:

Around 20 feet of electrical conduit ( metal ones for more strength)
Run the cables through it and down to where I will be sitting with the RC.
Attach the panel ( I may get the horizon panels)
At this point I will come up with a manual way to turn the post.

Here is where I need your advice
What cables to use in order to get the best performance. Where to get it from?
Do I carry on using my gold amps down at the RC hook up point and install other amps at top by the panels? If so which ones should I get?

Any other things I have missed our you can tell me.

Thanks again

Anyways, this is what I'm going to do. Please let me know what I need to change:

Do I carry on using my gold amps down at the RC hook up point and install other amps at top by the panels? If so which ones should I get?

Thanks again

How long are your runs? Lmr 400 at at 50ft has been perfect. Get 2 sections of lmr 240 to connect to your remote. It's comes down 2 what u want to spend. I am using a 140ft of lmr 600 now on video.

Thanks again

For now just leave the gold amps on the remote and connect the lmr 240 straight to them the lmr240 will then connect to the run of lmr400. No need to worry about having amps closet to antenna for now. I get serious range just like this.

Reactions: 8154 and hotashes
How long are your runs? Lmr 400 at at 50ft has been perfect. Get 2 sections of lmr 240 to connect to your remote. It's comes down 2 what u want to spend. I am using a 140ft of lmr 600 now on video.

100 foot would be the maximum from the panel to where I would be.
Price is not an issue.
Want to do as few connectors as possible, one at each end of the cable for both runs.
Basically, I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff and have to replace them often!! Rather buy the best quality to start with, suck as cables and the connectors and the amps.

Thanks

100 foot would be the maximum from the panel to where I would be.
Price is not an issue.
Want to do as few connectors as possible, one at each end of the cable for both runs.
Basically, I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff and have to replace them often!! Rather buy the best quality to start with, suck as cables and the connectors and the amps.

Thanks

If I were you get the lmr 600 at 100 ft then them ln pig tail 240 off your remote to the 600 . That stuff is almost as thick as a garden hose! Got Mine on Amazon mpt digital or something will make any length u need.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart