Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Australia here, my DJI P3 will not accept an input to fly higher then 400ft Or 120m. The DJI Do App here will not accept per example 121m.
Looks in America it's expected to fly with higher inputs
There's no difference for Australia.
Your Phantom is quite capable of of climbing 121, 122,123m ... all the way to 500m.
You have to have your P3 connected to the app for the setting to accept (just like RTH height) because the setting is stored in the Phantom and not the app.

In Australia here, my DJI P3 will not accept an input to fly higher then 400ft Or 120m. The DJI Do App here will not accept per example 121m.
Looks in America it's expected to fly with higher inputs

Id laugh. But the days where these things fly over a mile away and very high are limited. Unless its through 3rd party software or you keep your device offline with current firmware, pretty much its inevitable. I want to say most of the new ones to be released in 12 months will be neutered in that department. Its regulation thats going to destroy the market.

I am supersized no one in autrailia has figured out a way around 400 feet rule.

Yep, that's the way it is. Get over it. Over 400 AGL and your intruding on airspace dedicated to real aircraft with real live people in them. You sound like a petulant, spoiled child that has never been taught the word "no".

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It's actually 500 feet so before you try to act like you know what your talking about get your facts straight. Enjoy your drone and spend more time fling instead of worrying about what someone else is doing. Have a great night.

It's actually 500 feet so before you try to act like you know what your talking about get your facts straight. Enjoy your drone and spend more time fling instead of worrying about what someone else is doing. Have a great night.

No, it's 400 feet. General aviation air space starts at 500 feet, giving a theoretical 100 foot separation between the max altitude the drone should be at, and the minimum altitude general aviation aircraft fly at. I'd be happy to discuss airspace with you, but frankly you don't care. I'm a commercial pilot and a flight instructor, so I do have my facts straight. It's you that is trying to bend things to your will so you can justify being dangerous to others.

There's no difference for Australia.

Your Phantom is quite capable of of climbing 121, 122,123m ... all the way to 500m.
You have to have your P3 connected to the app for the setting to accept (just like RTH height) because the setting is stored in the Phantom and not the app.

Have my P3 of course connected through my RC and to my Apple Mini 2 where I then open the DJI go App.
RTH and max Hight setting will not, and I repeat, not accept any higher then 120 meter, full stop!!!
In fact here we can not even open the DJI go App unless we do connect the Aircraft first to our RC!!

I've been flying nearly 200 flights now with my P3, always in preflight check adjust the RTH, AND NEVER EVER could it be higher then 120m, end of story.
Here our App does not accept any number higher then 120m, in max hight or in RTH.

Reactions: cornishchris
Have my P3 of course connected through my RC and to my Apple Mini 2 where I then open the DJI go App.
RTH and max Hight setting will not, and I repeat, not accept any higher then 120 meter, full stop!!!
In fact here we can not even open the DJI go App unless we do connect the Aircraft first to our RC!!

I've been flying nearly 200 flights now with my P3, always in preflight check adjust the RTH, AND NEVER EVER could it be higher then 120m, end of story.
Here our App does not accept any number higher then 120m, in max hight or in RTH.
George .. I don't know what you're doing but whatever it is, it's not right
You can open the app without connecting and you can set max altitude to 500m in Australia.

image.png
George .. I don't know what you're doing but whatever it is, it's not right
You can open the app without connecting and you can set max altitude to 500m in Australia.

George ... your app is no different to anyone else's.
Your Phantom is the same as everyone else's.
Other Australian users can open their apps without connecting and they can set their max altitude to 500m.
If you can't, it's something you are doing, not the equipment that's causing that.

George ... your app is no different to anyone else's.
Your Phantom is the same as everyone else's.
Other Australian users can open their apps without connecting and they can set their max altitude to 500m.
If you can't, it's something you are doing, not the equipment that's causing that.

Ok, very interesting indeed. When I do open on my ipad 2 the DJI go App then I get to the picture I just sent above. The instructions do open if I touch "How to connect" yes. But to open the App I definitely have to connect the Aircraft and then it says Camera on the small touch bar, touch it, and immediately I do get the open App where then I can do all the amazig millions or thousands various adjustments of this great App! And believe me, I have done umpty adjusments, altered values, even stick sensitivity etc etc, but I am unable to set higher then 120m, as mentioned previously. I don't see it as doing anything wrong either, after all thats the rules we fly under here anyway. Isn't it?

Reactions: cornishchris
And believe me, I have done umpty adjusments, altered values, even stick sensitivity etc etc, but I am unable to set higher then 120m, as mentioned previously. I don't see it as doing anything wrong either, after all thats the rules we fly under here anyway. Isn't it?
George, Maybe you can't open the app without connecting in the Apple version?
I've never used one so can't say but the Android version gives you full access without connecting.
I believe you haven't been able to set max alt but it's not because you are in Australia.
Perhaps you haven't clicked on the green tick when you tried?
btw .. the CASA rules are about 400 feet AGL not 400 feet above your recorded home point.
They are only the same if you are flying in a wide flat area.

I'm in Australia, and on my iPhone 6 Plus, sometimes I get the How to Connect splash screen and I find if I wait a while, eventually the Camera button appears...

IMG_4049.PNG

I have noticed though, that I can't change settings if the P3 isn't connected...I can type in a setting in the Set Maximum Flight Altitude area, but as soon as I press Done, it reverts back to zero.

George, I believe you haven't been able to set max alt but it's not because you are in Australia.
btw .. the CASA rules are about 400 feet AGL not 400 feet above your recorded home point.

I will certainly keep trying out of shear curiosity. Havent seen any "green tick" either. If I do find out to open the DJI go App, without having my Mini 2 to connect to the RC, which in turn has to be connected to the Aircraft, I will gladly send a post here, just in case there is someone else experiencing the same situarion.
BTW the Dji P3 has given me only one problem in the ca. 8th flight, IMU Error, did a complete recalibration and never had any problem ever again in my nearly 200 flights!! A magnificent Quadcopter is the DJI P3

Most people have probably gone over 400ft even the ones here pouting about it . It's like buying a Lamborghini and never going over 65mph.

Great example. Many high horsepower car owners assume they know what they're doing when they have no idea. They take it out and push it too hard too quickly and end up in trouble. Do yourself and everyone else a favor to actually develop skills and understanding before you end up like this guy:

tpfw5ktqbz4yare5mknl.gif

George, Maybe you can't open the app without connecting in the Apple version?
I've never used one so can't say but the Android version gives you full access without connecting.
I believe you haven't been able to set max alt but it's not because you are in Australia.

Just for the record. I live in Indiana, I can not open the DJI GO app on my iPad Air without connecting it to the bird. I just tried to connect while reading this forum and no go. Weird, I can open the app with the iPhone 6 without connecting to the bird. Wonder if it has something to do with the cellular service. My iPad Air is just wi-fi.

Great example. Many high horsepower car owners assume they know what they're doing when they have no idea. They take it out and push it too hard too quickly and end up in trouble. Do yourself and everyone else a favor to actually develop skills and understanding before you end up like this guy:

tpfw5ktqbz4yare5mknl.gif
I build and race cars as a hobby, and we like to call your example "more money than brains." I see it all the time in the testosterone fueled racing scene. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that's it's no different here...

Last edited:
Reactions: ianwood
No, uav operators get 400', real pilots, who have invested real time and money on a license, with real expensive airplanes, and real human lives on board get 500'on up. It's crazy that this is even an argument. This is ultimately people's lives we are talking about. Saying and thinking that your pathetic uav has the right to navigate the same airspace that aircraft with human life on board, while not having any formal training, understanding of how things work, no way of seeing other aircraft except vlos, no way to let other aircraft know you are there, or talk to other aircraft is not only stupid, crazy and idiotic. It boarders on criminal...

So I get 400ft and they get unlimited. You sound dumb talking about sharing like we're 5 years old. They control airspace they don't own it!!!

Reactions: jingthing
The FAA's 400 foot rule is indeed an advisory, not a regulation. But, if you fly above that and cause an accident, it will likely weigh heavily on your potential punishment. Particularly since you have to first turn off Beginner Mode and then bypass the warning screen when you try to enter a max height above 120 meters, so it will be hard to protest that you didn't know flight above that level was not recommended and at your discretion. (However, if an airplane that isn't taking off or landing crashes into your UAS below 500 feet, the FAA will probably take a dim view of the pilot for flying below the minimum safe altitude.)

Recall that the Phantom gets its liftoff altitude from the barometer, so if I take off from the south rim of the Grand Canyon and fly to the north rim... well, first I'm busted for flying in a National Park and second I'm probably crashing halfway across as I run out of battery. But even as I'm several thousand feet above the Colorado River, the Phantom will happily putt-putt along at no more than 400 feet AGL from my takeoff point. That doesn't mean that I won't be nailed by a helicopter or something flying at well over 500 feet AGL through the canyon center.

Of course, the downside of the built-in height restriction is that if I descend into the canyon and have to land for any reason, the barometer gets reset and now I can't climb higher than 1600 feet AGL even if I'm technically less than 400 feet above actual land, so I cant fly back out of the canyon.

The point is that you aren't breaking the law by flying above 400 feet, but it *is* considered a very bad idea by the FAA and DJI. Living near Boeing's Everett factory, I have no problem staying that low; they need to sell all the 787s they can make. :p

I build and race cars as a hobby, and we like to call your example "more money than brains." I see it all the time in the testosterone fueled racing scene. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that's it's no different here...

Yup. I do the same. We call it "running out of talent".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart