Flying above 400ft is a little scary and pointless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, very interesting indeed. When I do open on my ipad 2 the DJI go App then I get to the picture I just sent above. The instructions do open if I touch "How to connect" yes. But to open the App I definitely have to connect the Aircraft and then it says Camera on the small touch bar, touch it, and immediately I do get the open App where then I can do all the amazig millions or thousands various adjustments of this great App! And believe me, I have done umpty adjusments, altered values, even stick sensitivity etc etc, but I am unable to set higher then 120m, as mentioned previously. I don't see it as doing anything wrong either, after all thats the rules we fly under here anyway. Isn't it?

Have you turned off beginner mode?
And if you do find it, I'd suggest you leave it on and get to know your App and Phantom a bit more..

As i have posted previously, commercial aircraft, light aircraft, helicopters are not the only others sharing this airspace,
Microlights, hanggliders, paragliders, sailplanes also use it, As a glider pilot i use airspace from tree tops to way above cloud base, We have the required licenses, skills and insurance, we had to learn exactly where we can or cannot fly also using air maps to calculate which controlled airspace should be crossed at which altitude, ie over or under, even purple airspace is a complete no go,
As for posters who think mountain areas are devoid of other aircraft please think again, For us to be searching around in a valley for lift or scratching a mountain face is very normal.

I always felt for pilots of all types of manned aircraft there was a common bond and understanding, we adhere to rules and regulations respecting the safety of each other and ourselves, seems in regard to UAVs for some pilots this bond and understanding does not exist.

I have had a 400hp Factory built missile for my Sunday driver since 2003. I can say that I'm guilty of driving it on I-10 in excess of the posted speed limit. I'm not a pro driver. Although I have been through high speed driving courses. I'm not by any means a pro driver. But I do know my limits. When I am driving I know better than to do it in places where I could endanger anyone other than myself.

I will say this. I'm the exact same way with my PHANTOM. I for certain have not taken it up past 400 feet. I don't think I've hit 200 feet yet. That said with the amount of these things being sold there are bound to be some knuckleheads. It is just in the numbers. So that is why some restrictions are necessary. I think it's a good idea. I just hope that the regulations are bound in rational thought. Not everyone will use good judgment so yes policies will be set to keep people from landing on the White House lawn or trying to take photos at 3000 feet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: cornishchris
Just good common sense and good safety practices. Had an emergency medical helicopter came by. You could not have gotten out of the way fast enough and we would be reading about another drone incident in the world news. Yep I can look up and see it's clear but a chopper or plane flying at 200-350 mph I am sure my 25 mph quad or that real fast 2/4 ms decent speed would divert and problem.... Yea right!

Safety first !!!! I'll just do it this once, but once is all it takes.
200-350MPH in a chopper is not happening

Reactions: Gary E
seems in regard to UAVs for some pilots this bond and understanding does not exist.

I agree. Every other 'flying' pass times are very close knit communities that are filled to the brim with respect of their peers. I believe the difference will be within each individual.

I purchased hobby aircraft insurance (pointed out earlier up in this thread) really cheap. It even includes $1000 of protection for your drone itself and is less than $100/yr! Now many will not do this but personally I'd prefer it become law to have insurance if flying in/over a public place before some group of people who think they are going to have so much 'fun' testing their extremes, that they hurt someone... cant pay for the damage and finally ruin all of our fun because of their false entitlement. C'est la vie though. Idiots exist.

Just my opinion but I'd prefer be a grown up about the possibilities for damage and mitigate it properly so I can enjoy my **** cool hobby --regulation free.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcphipps
I have had a 400hp Factory built missile for my Sunday driver since 2003. I can say that I'm guilty of driving it on I-10 in excess of the posted speed limit...
...But I do know my limits. When I am driving I know better than to do it in places where I could endanger anyone other than myself...
A bit contradictory I'd say.

In England the height limit is 400 ft , you are not allowed to fly over private land without the land owners permission , you are not allowed to fly over buildings or roads , you are not allowed to fly over groups of people , you can not fly out of line of vision . I believe these are sensible rules . But I have seen in America people flying above Cities , and crashing their done , if this falls on someone what would be the result ? the assholes that fly these rediculous heights are stupid and irresponsible . someone said " the world is not flat " what a daft thing to say .

A bit contradictory I'd say.
Say whatever you like. That's what message boards are for. .

I know my limits.

Anyway speeding doesn't exactly equate to flying higher than the recommended limit. Speeding is against the law. Flying higher than the recommended limit is not! I will say this though. I have no problem driving 90 MPH on I-10 where the limit is 80 provided that I do it safely. E.g. there is no traffic on the interstate and I have miles and miles of visibility. Which is almost always the case between Ft Stockton and the other townships along I-10 in Eastern TX. I do have a problem flying higher than the recommended limit.

Reactions: cornishchris
They weren't built to go over 400ft?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I wasnt referring to high altitude flying (which could have been understood from my edit). If you watch youtube, there are people doing stupid **** with drones all the time. (again, Im not even talking about high altitude flying). If done right flying high could be safe, the problem is that the world is full of idiots...
Be prepared for all the cry baby's to tell u how much of a idiot u are and break out there rule book. Lmao[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I havent bitched here too much yet, but I agree with the "cry babies". Its because stupid kids flying way too high (among other stupid stuff) that we will be hammered with not just recommendations but LAWS, so yeah..

edit: Doesnt AGL mean above ground level? So when you fly over a mountain or hill, can you not be 400 feet above them still?

Last edited:
Reactions: stulpin300m
Most people have probably gone over 400ft even the ones here pouting about it . It's like buying a Lamborghini and never going over 65mph.

People with powerful sports cars don't usually drive fast , I for one don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31