Flyaway Emergency Landing

Reaction score
Not sure what happened on this flight but it was my unlucky and lucky day. I had flown in the area just days before, no issues. I had done a recent IMU and RC calibration and did the compass at the site. There was light wind and a nearby cliff causing a vortex but when I took it up it was manageable. Shortly after takeoff I realized I forgot to hit the REC in the GoPro. I was at the waters edge by the rocks, can be seen on the FlyTrex. Confirmed orientation by checking FPV, facing out over the water. As soon as I started to bring it back with the right stick it took off quick, full counter with forward stick slowed it but it flying away. All I could do was a full descent, no time for a return home and was afraid it would be worse climbing to RTH 60ft.

It flew over my head and landed behind a berm, I was expecting to find parts and was glad it didn't fly away, or hit anyone or anything. I was surrounded by 270 degrees of water, 45 degrees of cliff, and 45 degrees of people and a building. You can see the spike on the speed (green graph) on the Flytrex and what appears to be a 12mph impact. Here is lucky part of my day, as I crested the berm I saw it sitting upright, just a little dust on the legs. No evidence of a tumble, perfect props no gimbal damage. My only explanation is there is a Phantom god, one that saves some and destroys others.

To diagnose I took it to a local park, about 3 miles away. No compass calibration, just fired it up, it flew perfect. I can only think that it caught some interference or the compass was off due to the geography. Any other ideas?

[img][/img]

Could have to do with there being a solar storm and the K index is high and it was screwing with your gps location. Glad it turned out ok. They are saying the K index could be high all weekend, so maybe stay grounded for the weekend.

shartlza said:
Could have to do with there being a solar storm and the K index is high and it was screwing with your gps location. Glad it turned out ok. They are saying the K index could be high all weekend, so maybe stay grounded for the weekend.
This was from last Saturday, as far as I know solar activity wasn't an issue. I should have checked though. I did have 10 sats at takeoff. My plans to fly off my sons boat on Sunday are definitely canceled, lost some confidence after last weekend.

PhantomPhreak - Spooky... :eek: Just when I start to get comfortable flying my P2, I read about something like this! It sounds like some sort of 'hardware/firmware' error, not a pilot error to me. Thankfully, you had a good recovery in the end. Your Flytrex data pretty well confirms it happened in an instant, and you haven't identified you were doing anything beyond flying normally. I would tend to agree with you that it was an anomaly with the GPS or RF interference of some kind. Did you record your iOSD info by any chance? It might lead you to some clues to the problem.

Kind of interesting. I was flying g my fc40 yesterday. Also had just done the imu/rc calibration. Flew fine for a minute. Then just took off. Wouldn't respond. Wouldn't come home. Yes I had a full GPS lock. Only option was to turn it off. It fell into a tree and one of the prop guards broke. Lost some bushing for the camera. Thank good that's all. All I could think about was it hitting someone, or a car and causing an accident. I started the flight from a large Park. Makes me wonder if it's a software bug as well.

I think flipping immediately to ATTI mode will be my first reaction if I encounter something similar. It at least rules out GPS navigation issues.

JDN said:
PhantomPhreak - Spooky... :eek: Did you record your iOSD info by any chance? It might lead you to some clues to the problem.
Unfortunately no record of IOSD, just the Flytrex. I am putting together the 2nd phase of my FPV. Acquired a IRC Duo5800 and a mini DVR, just waiting on some cables. The Pilot error was not having the camera on. I would have really like to have seen the video, especially the landing.

damoncooper said:
I think flipping immediately to ATTI mode will be my first reaction if I encounter something similar. It at least rules out GPS navigation issues.
If I could have a do-over that's would I would try. It happened so fast I will admit I was in panic mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl