Flyaway after update, Help!

Reaction score
History:
Phantom 2 Vision, purchased mid-December from BHPhotoVideo.
V1.4, may be older stock since transmitter does not have external USB port and was running V1.0 firmware before update.

Flown successfully about 6 times, three flights on campus where I work where I was able to get GPS lock, three flights at my home where I was not able to get GPS lock.

Updated all firmware last week:
DJI FC200 Camera V1.1.8

5.8GHz Remote Controller V1.0.2.22
5.8GHz Receiver V1.0.1.3
iOS App V1.0.30
Phantom 2 Vision Autopilot System V1.08
Phantom 2 Vision Central Board V1.0.1.19
PC Assistant Software V1.08
Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.0

After updating Phantom using PC Assistant software, I opened up the controller to access internal USB and updated it with RC Assistant. Test indoors with props off went well with Phantom responding to input from controller.

The weather was finally warm enough today (48degrees, clear, sunny, calm), so I decided to shoot some more photos at my home.
Flight and WIFI repeater battery fully charged.
6 new Duracell batteries installed (6v power level confirmed while performing update via RC Assistant software)
iPhone 5s in airplane mode, WIFI enabled.
Turned on transmitter
Turned on WIFI repeater
Phantom powered up
Select Phantom WIFI repeater from available WIFI networks on iPhone, confirm video feed from Vision camera
Carry Phantom to the center of my back yard (3+ acres in rural setting)
Set down Phantom.
Toggle S1 switch 10 times
Lift Phantom, rotate slowly until yellow lights turn green, tip nose down, rotate until green lights go out
Slow blinking yellow lights, I have never been able to get GPS lock at my home on previous flights, so I'm not concerned
Bring the Phantom straight up to 80-ft, adjust camera angle all the way downward.
Increase throttle on Phantom to about 100-ft and the Phantom takes off heading straight forward and falling fast, it travels over my house and crashes in my front yard. I find it lying upside down in the shrubs with three broken propellers. There is no other visible damage and I'm still getting a video feed from the camera.

Now what? I am the official photographer on campus and I purchased the Phantom through my department with the intent of providing aerial photography for my university. The Phantom had a property tag applied to it when it arrived on campus, so sending it back for exchange or refund is going to be a paperwork nightmare. I'd like to use it to make photos, but I can't fly it on campus if it's going to take off and crash without warning.

All I can think of at the moment is to re-update all the firmware.

Help!

Powered it up next to back door, carried it out to yard as soon as I switched iPhone from home WIFI to Phantom repeater....45-60 seconds.

I would not fly without GPS lock. Going straight up 100ft. You may have lost signal and It probably didn't know where to go when it went into return to home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your start-up routine could be part of the problem. The gyros need some time to settle and record what straight and level feels like as well as waiting for a satellite lock. You really ought to power up and run through your video checks at the launch site, this gives everything time to "warm up". If you're in stock Vision mode then you need to wait as a minimum until you have the steady flashing green or yellow. The you can calibrate the compass if required.

I would plug the Vision into the PC and run the Assistant software. Have a look at the parameters in the TOOLS section to make sure they are within margins. If not (and after a heavy crash, probably even if they are all good) do an advanced IMU calibration. Hopefully that, combined with letting her sit for a bit after powering up, will get you back in the air.

It's still unusual that you can't get satellite lock in an open 3 acre area. How many satellites does the app report?

It's still unusual that you can't get satellite lock in an open 3 acre area. How many satellites does the app report?

Region is VERY hilly, and very thickly forested, cellular service is nonexistent even though I am only a couple of miles from very tall cellular tower. On first flight I tried getting GPS in front yard, back yard and driveway, no dice. So I launched from back yard on all flights.

Previous flight was 4-satelites on the ground, but picked up 2 more and lights and blinking lights on Phantom changed from yellow to green as it got to about 60-ft elevation.

Honestly, I didn't even notice the number of satellites today. From lift off to loss of control was maybe 15-20 seconds.

I power-up the Vision at its take-off point and have never had any problems. Not sure why you're having difficulty w/satellites unless there's a wet weather mass aloft blocking them.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl