FLIR ONE + Phantom 4

Thank's for your input. The reason why i entered this trail is that IR (FLIR) capable drones are so hilariously expensive and that I have been forced to reject a handful customers asking for thermal images over various things.

This would be a budget version and if it would be possible to kick the shutter going and fly randomly over the target, blind, could get me the images I need.
If only I could solve the mounting problem.

Yes, jwmcgrath. You are absolutel spot on. And to WBN3 i can say: I might have one for sale right now.. :)

Reactions: WBN3
Thank's for your input. The reason why i entered this trail is that IR (FLIR) capable drones are so hilariously expensive and that I have been forced to reject a handful customers asking for thermal images over various things.

This would be a budget version and if it would be possible to kick the shutter going and fly randomly over the target, blind, could get me the images I need.
If only I could solve the mounting problem.

Yes, jwmcgrath. You are absolutel spot on. And to WBN3 i can say: I might have one for sale right now.. :)
My buddy and I have bee looking at a number of multi-spectral imaging combinations that we could fly on a drone. Looking at some sensor fusion approaches. The FLIR camera might be one of the options that we would look at, jury is still out on the actual utility of this camera/phone combination. The longwave IR would be ideal for checking for hotspots on transformers/ insulators, etc. And, yes, before anyone asks - I do have my Part 107 cert.

The Flir on a drone would be awesome for night time , security, tracking burglars in your yard, but then again you're not allowed to fly at night [emoji12]

But back to my initial question: Has any of you guys seen anything cradle-like or brackets that could be used to solve at least one of my problems?

R

Can also be used to see if a wall is insulated properly:

a6ca0071dcf4f5be4390b1bb141aaee2.jpg

It's by no means an Xray machine, but works well measuring temperature differential.
THAT image is NOT from a FLIR One, it's from a much more expensive model. If you see that detail on a FLIR One, you're doing way better than the unit is capable of doing. :) I've been studying (and using) one for several months now, except I attach mine to a 10 in ch Android tablet. Yes, the One can store videos and stills but only on the tablet/phone.

Reactions: sparky1111
Get a 3D printer and make you own brackets. That way, you'll get exactly what you need, and maybe for less than the bracket alone.

You might have a look at Seek Thermal and see if their app might do what you want.

Tried the app. It wont recognize the FLIR ONE. At all.
And the unit itself is US$ 249..

It's obvious that this wasn't my best puchase.. Although I still think this would have been a nice, buget replacement for these hilariously expensive (FL)IR - cameras or drones with built-in thermal cameras. I must rethink this. Can't fly with this piece hanging from the landing gear..
Think it goes to eBay..

Yes, the One can store videos and stills but only on the tablet/phone.

The sad thing about this is that I have some 2 Gigs free on my smartphone and 32 Gigs on my SD-card. I had a conversation with their support and according to him you can change where the files are stored by changing this in the Mobiles setting. NOT in the App. This doesn't make sense. But he persisted on this:
For the direction files of the photo storage, you must check the location where you allow the app to store in your phone options directly this is the only way to change it.
Regards,
Guillaume J.

End Quote
This does not make sense at all.. I have to change where the app stores the files in the "phone option directly" according to him. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and there is no such settings. But he wouldn't listen. Kept repeating the same words..

Yeah, the drones at most tech support places these days are just that. Even if they actually know to correct a problem, some of them are required by corporate to follow their <censored> <censored> scripts. Those are companies to avoid in the future and let others know about them. Strange, though, because I've had success when interacting with the company.
Btw, I don't understand those instructions either.

Reactions: KR W
THAT image is NOT from a FLIR One, it's from a much more expensive model. If you see that detail on a FLIR One, you're doing way better than the unit is capable of doing. :) I've been studying (and using) one for several months now, except I attach mine to a 10 in ch Android tablet. Yes, the One can store videos and stills but only on the tablet/phone.

No, it's actually from TG-165, and thank you, that's good to know. I loved my 165 and if the One can't do that well then I'll stick with what I know!

Oh, the One can do that (I've done it to more than one house) but the resolution will not be as well-defined until you get it home and do some post-processing. The post-processing is difficult so I generally just give them the picture as is.

Reactions: The Flying Swan
Just purchased a FLIR ONE and found an used SAMSUNG Galaxy 5s. Now to the tricky part: How to attach the phone+FLIR to the drone. I found an Italian manufacturer (Bracket for DJI Phantom and FLIR ONE) who had a solution, but the price was too high. 100 Euros for two pieces of plastic..

I'm thinking of a cradle or brackets that can be used for either the FLIR alone (connected to the phone usin a 30 cm Micro USB and with the phone attached somewhere on the side of the landing gear) or the FLIR + phone together facing down.

Has any of you guys anything to share? CAD:s, maybe, or your own makeshift that turned out well or a link to a web shop where I can find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Roger
I've got the Mounts for the Flir one for the Phantom 4 here DJI Phantom 4 FLIR One Mount - 3D Printed Drone Mods
Phantom_Flir_One_Mount.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor