FLIR on vision plus

I recently ordered a Seek Thermal camera for Android.

I'm wondering if it will be light enough for me to strap to the bottom of the camera on the gimbal using a micro USB extension cable plugged into a phone mounted to the Phantom. Only issue is streaming the live feed of the thermal image, would have to be done over 4g/lte with some kind of screen broadcasting.

I didn't buy it for the drone, but I could see the benefit for aiding local police in a missing persons case in non-urban areas.

There's an "obvious" way to stream the feed of the thermal image from the phone: point the Phantom's camera at it. Of course, the physical setup would be tricky.

Super cool what you guys are working on. Won't the low resolution and poor quality of the FPV live stream be a problem for you? It's fine for framing shots in aerial photography, and admittedly I don't know anything about the needs for search, but it just seems to me like a higher res, higher quality FPV set up would be important for search and rescue.

I suppose once you show the proof-of-concept, you can upgrade to a Lightbridge setup.

Hey guys. [email protected] is my email. Im sorry Im not seeing these responses until everyone is late and gone. Feel free to email me.
I do have the 320 version of the LITEYE. Something else, a couple of times my phantom has been stubborn on lift regardless of the gain setting percentages in the software. Im right at 212 grams with the camera. Im pushing it. I just installed 4 T-motors and i will see today if It is more consistent. Also, the picture I uploaded of the thermal is pretty shitty, however, it looks a whole lot better in person. This camera also has a 4x digital zoom and many different color options. When your looking at thermal cameras it is important to look at refresh rate. 60hz refresh rate is a must for me.

Something else, I had this Thermal camera from another project not involving a drone and I just decided to put it on one.
Those who are concerned about weight issues when ordering a camera should look along the lines of something like the

FLIR Tau 2 336

on ebay.

This just has a 30hz refresh rate but should be light enough for all applications. 30hz means your gonna have more lag in viewing.

3LEGGEDSQUIRREL said:
Hey guys. [email protected] is my email. Im sorry Im not seeing these responses until everyone is late and gone. Feel free to email me.
I do have the 320 version of the LITEYE. Something else, a couple of times my phantom has been stubborn on lift regardless of the gain setting percentages in the software. Im right at 212 grams with the camera. Im pushing it. I just installed 4 T-motors and i will see today if It is more consistent. Also, the picture I uploaded of the thermal is pretty shitty, however, it looks a whole lot better in person. This camera also has a 4x digital zoom and many different color options. When your looking at thermal cameras it is important to look at refresh rate. 60hz refresh rate is a must for me.

Thanks so much, I will be in touch with you via email.

Really appreciate you sharing what info you have... The Flir does make sense only based on its weight alone at this point, FLIR Tau 2 336 as the example, 72g for the camera alone. I'm sure the interface will add more weight.... Maybe time for that S900...;)

The S900 sounds like a plan for me too! Maybe if someone has one for trade, i could upgrade. I have many cooooool things to trade, from things that make noise to things that are silent.

Ok so who had the Phantom with the FLIR camera on the Finding Bigfoot episode the other night? They mentioned the setup being expensive, and talked like they would like to add something like one of those to their arsenal. However, even though they already use the hand held FLIR's which are not as good as the new stuff that shows the heat source as being white. But something like the quad with a FLIR would only show how there is really nothing out in the woods like they think there is.

Just thought maybe the person that owned that quad might be one of you in the forum here.

3LEGGEDSQUIRREL said:
Thanks for the info.

212 grams is including the aluminum mount in the picture ?
aquila spec sheet shows the camera at 182 grams

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl