FLIR on vision plus

Reaction score
I'm looking to mount a flir camera with dvr, on a vision plus. this will be for temporary training work on the flir before moving to a larger craft.

I am looking to replace the existing camera and Gimbal and mount the flir fixed with no stabilization.

no FPV needed.

any advice on voltages,pinouts, current draw,or mounting techniques would be most appreciated.

Check the voltage and current requirements for the camera. The vision+ battery is going to give you anywhere from ~12 volts to ~10 volts depending on charge remaining.

Also, test for wide band rf interference from the camera and DVR. Some cameras can interfere with the GPS signal. I'd check GPS signal with the camera off and again with it on and recording.

Last and most importantly, keep it all as far away from the compass as possible.
Anything that uses electricity generates a magnetic field so you'll need to calibrate the compass with the added equipment mounted and running.
Then do a careful hover check at low altitude to verify compass function before flying.

PhantomRock said:
I'm looking to mount a flir camera with dvr, on a vision plus. this will be for temporary training work on the flir before moving to a larger craft.

I am looking to replace the existing camera and Gimbal and mount the flir fixed with no stabilization.

no FPV needed.

any advice on voltages,pinouts, current draw,or mounting techniques would be most appreciated.
Interesting, I was just looking at a go pro set up.
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Modifed-Inf ... ght+vision
I figure FLIR even more expensive?

cahutch said:
Check the voltage and current requirements for the camera. The vision+ battery is going to give you anywhere from ~12 volts to ~10 volts depending on charge remaining.

Also, test for wide band rf interference from the camera and DVR. Some cameras can interfere with the GPS signal. I'd check GPS signal with the camera off and again with it on and recording.

Last and most importantly, keep it all as far away from the compass as possible.
Anything that uses electricity generates a magnetic field so you'll need to calibrate the compass with the added equipment mounted and running.
Then do a careful hover check at low altitude to verify compass function before flying.

Thanks cahutch.

I have a feeling that there is no gps interference.
1uas is selling one using the phantom vision (not plus),http://1uas.com/Cat-FPV-Video-Link/...E-DJI-PHANTOM-2-WITH-FLIR-TAU2-THERMAL-CAMERA
and I don't think the gps shielding on the plus model got any worse, but definitely it needs testing.

I happen to have a spare plus bird, so I want to use it for this.
I was wondering if anyone has documented the ribbon cable coming to the plus camera, the voltage and current draw that is currently being used by the vision plus camera, and which pins to use.

Thanks for your insight.

Fplvert said:
Interesting, I was just looking at a go pro set up.
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Modifed-Inf ... ght+vision
I figure FLIR even more expensive?

I really don't know what they are selling, maybe just a lens with the IR cut filter removed :lol: .
Anyhow, if it requires external IR Source that's probably what it is, others might know more than me....
The FLIR units vary in resolution and price, and would not need any external source.
You can take a look around at the site I quoted before, but there are many vendors out there...

PhantomRock said:

no FPV needed.

This may be of interest:

http://www.flir.com/cs/emea/en/view/?id=62823

Im sure by now you have found your solution for your FLIR camera question, but if not...I have one on one of my phantoms that feeds all data to my iPhone through the app and all you have to do is splice into 1 wire to make this possible. Im using the LITEYE Aquila mini thermal though. Let me know if you still are looking for help.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,492
  • IMG_0090.PNG
    IMG_0090.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,106
3LEGGEDSQUIRREL said:
Im sure by now you have found your solution for your FLIR camera question, but if not...I have one on one of my phantoms that feeds all data to my iPhone through the app and all you have to do is splice into 1 wire to make this possible. Im using the LITEYE Aquila mini thermal though. Let me know if you still are looking for help.

yes your timing is perfect. I have been tasked with going forward this week with a pilot for a number of search and rescue organizations. please provide more info. I thought we would need splicing for power and separately for video. Would you rather I PM you? Thank you very much

I would be interested in your solution as well...would appreciate your input.

RichWest said:
I would be interested in your solution as well...would appreciate your input.

This will need some work, and I appreciate the involvement of more people as well.
As you can see, the trunks of the trees absorb a lot of heat. I will need to do a lot of testing to know under what conditions would a human be visible through light foliage, how long does a vehicle look different than the surrounding terrain, etc.

I have no problem with the LITEYE Aquila mini as the camera, seems reasonable regarding cost. For the cost of a Flir, does it improve over what you have already?

RichWest said:
I have no problem with the LITEYE Aquila mini as the camera, seems reasonable regarding cost. For the cost of a Flir, does it improve over what you have already?

I am not sure if this question is directed at me, or 3LEGGEDSQUIRREL ???

sorry, I got a little mixed up in the conversation....this was for Squirrel. I liked the fact it was already mapped to the Vision App and the camera was a little more reasonable in cost than the FLIR.

PhantomRock, did you get a Flir to work within the Vision app? Kind of an old thread, now.

RichWest said:
sorry, I got a little mixed up in the conversation....this was for Squirrel. I liked the fact it was already mapped to the Vision App and the camera was a little more reasonable in cost than the FLIR.

PhantomRock, did you get a Flir to work within the Vision app? Kind of an old thread, now.

Hi RichWest, No, I did not get the FLIR, the project was on hold, but has now been released.
I don't think we need to create a new thread at this point.
I was looking for some comparison review between the FLIR Tau and this manufacturer and could not find.
I hope Squirrel will reply.

Sorry it took so long to reply back. In order to do this you need to leave your top gimble board attached. With all three plugs attached. There is a 4 pin plug, an 8 pin with 6 wires, and a 6 pin plug with 6 wires. The last one is what you want. (6 pin/6plug). The far right wire on the far right plug is video in. Splice into this wire from camera. The one next to it going left is video growing. (I didn't use this because my camera is grounded with power).

To power the camera with 12 volts on start up I tied into the interference board I think. Its the one with the (2) 8-pin/plugs. also the one that connects to X1 and X2. This will be the J6 8 pin plugin. This plug only has 6 wires too. Now, If your looking at your phantom from the front,(not battery side), the 2 pins closest to the Phantom MC are the ones you want. The one on the far right after the 2 empty plugs going left is 12v. The next one continuing left is Cam Grnd. Check with voltmeter or test light to be sure. This gives me telemetry on my iPhone.

There are some downsides. Im a noooobi so I'm still working out the bugs. The gimble motor coming from the board cuts on and off at times and can be annoying. I will either unplug that part or something in a day or two. Also, when I click camera on DJI app it shows the warning to remove gamble clamp, however, when your fire that BMF up.....this will disappear.

Hopes this helps guys, I'm trying to set up notifications so i will know when someone replies.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 637
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 559
Thanks so much for the explanation.
I intend to follow in your footsteps and this will make a big difference for our organizations.

Please confirm if I got this right.

1. You have a Phantom Vision 2 Plus with the gimbal electronics and gimbal motor intact. Just the camera and the gimbal arm are removed (shortly).

2. You are using Aquila Compact MMTI 320 Thermal Imager, as shown on http://www.liteye.com/aquila-mmti

3. Video - The far right wire on right plug is cut from the gimbal board. Instead,
it is connected to the video connection of the camera. You are not splicing into the wire and leaving it connected in parallel to the gimbal board. Please clarify.

4. Power - 2 pins closest to MC provide 12v. Right one is 12v, one on left you are using both for power ground and camera ground.

Thanks so much, this will be a great help to me.

I did the same thing to the camera power wires as far as removing them from the plugs. I have 2 vision plus phantoms and 3 cameras and gimbals I use as well so it will be pretty easy to change back after HOG season. Im happy with the mini thermal. Its made to go onto a soldiers helmet wired to a LZAD OLED high resolution monocular that flips down. It can also be used for targeting and tracking through a prototype device with Eotech Holographic sites. I have had it on my SCAR 17 before now. its voltage range is 3-18. The sweet spot is 12v with 300mA. This thermal camera also has a 4x digital zoom with 10 different color palettes along with image flip etc., through commands in code.

Also, if you have a MAC and an iPhone ....you can use the Quickview Player app to record your iPhones screen during flight

Squirrel, you have been a great help.
I will order one and advise of my progress here.
Please confirm 2 things:

1. The sample image you submitted is from the 320 version, not the 640.
2. The two power pins from MC are supplying power to the camera only and end up in a 8 pin plug, and there is no reason to connect camera power directly inside the phantom, as we can disconnect these two on the gimbal side to power the camera.

Please tell me if I got this right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl