Flight Time

Reaction score
I am a new vision+ owner and as a phantom v1 owner most parts of the craft familiar to me. But i have some questions about battery to experienced P2V+ owners..

I have 2 batteries and have tested 2 times each one and see 16-18 minutes of flight time until %20 remains. As it has mentioned that up to 25 minutes of flight time, i want to ask is there any problem with my batteries?

- Is this flight time normal or should i do something to increase the flight time?
- As i use the batteries 2 times only, does the battery performance increase after couple flights?
- At what level do you usually land it? Should i scare when it is below %20?

Thanks,

You should see a slight increase in battery life as you cycle the batteries discharge/recharge. If you are flying in significant wind this may also cause a drop in flight time.

canerakcil said:
I have 2 batteries and have tested 2 times each one and see 16-18 minutes of flight time until %20 remains. As it has mentioned that up to 25 minutes of flight time, i want to ask is there any problem with my batteries

Thanks,

There is no problems with your batteries. The 16-18 min flight times you're getting is typical and if not pushing the threshold of your battery warning alarms. The first warning will sound at 25% power and the second at 15%. If you were to continue flying during these times/warnings, you'd probably get another 7-9 minutes. It comes down to whether or not your are comfortable enough and have enough confidence in the technology to push your bird to those limits. ;)

Thanks man, i have stopped the craft at %20 battery level at my tests. If i use another %10 i think it will add another 2 minutes (first %80 make 18 minutes 18/8 will give me how much time will it survive with %10 battery if it discharges at the same rate)..That makes 20minutes overall.

I think 10m/s winds reduced the time...I will keep testing it when there is no wind and see weather how much increases the flight time.

Yes, wind can have an effect on the battery life because the motors are working harder at times to compensate. It also depends too on how hard or aggressively you're flying; higher speeds, throttling up hard and fast a lot etc. Personally, I wouldn't risk running the battery down to 10%, but that's just me.

I fly it around 7-8m/s speed in GPS mode.

I will try the below settings in order to see if the flight time increase, if you tried those can you share your experiences?

* GPS vs ATTI mode--> GPS mode always do corrections when flying, do you think selecting ATTI mode increase the flight time(if i fly at same speed)?
* Recording video vs not recording (just fpv viewing) --> Does recording reduce the time?
* Hovering vs flying around --> Too much hovering affects to the flight time?

I tested each of my batteries to make sure they are were performing the same because I kept feeling like my flight times were vastly different and shorter then they should be.

I went to my friend's huge indoor garage and tested each of my 4 batteries... 68 degrees, zero wind. Each test flight I was getting around 18 minutes when it hit 25% warning and for one battery I let it go down to 5% and I was at 23 minutes. So I agree the 25 minute is possible but in reality you should get about 14-16 minutes if you are flying fast the entire flight and sometimes less on a windy day. The wind does require a lot more power to compensate.

The problem with all this is that the description on the packaging is misleading, it says "intelligent Flight Battery and 25 minute flight time"
The flight times may be attainable on the Phantom 2 (no camera or gimbal) but when the packaging says 25 minutes, it should be that right out of the box.

The wording they should have used is "Up to 25 minutes flight time". Everyone who has purchased a Phantom and who has never reached 25 minutes flight time should take
their Phantom back and demand a new model until they actually do receive one that can fly for 25minutes.

In Australia it is illegal to say a product can do something when it can not.

Products must also:

match descriptions made by the salesperson, on packaging and labels, and in promotions or advertising

DownunderPhantom said:
The problem with all this is that the description on the packaging is misleading, it says "intelligent Flight Battery and 25 minute flight time"

The wording they should have used is "Up to 25 minutes flight time".

I do agree, DJI is being a little misleading with their advertising about flight times (out of the box) and depending on conditions, battery etc., but they have covered their asses...

On their website when you click on the 'comparison' link, it says; "Max flight time is 25 mins." The wording is basically saying the same thing and with DJI claiming a "maximum flight time is 25 minutes", is no different than "up to 25 minutes" of flight time.

Attachments

• DJI2.png
    DJI2.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 339
On their website when you click on the 'comparison' link, it says; "Max flight time is 25 mins." The wording is basically saying the same thing and with DJI claiming a "maximum flight time is 25 minutes", is no different than "up to 25 minutes" of flight time.

This is all well and good but if a person walks in off the street and sees only the wording on the packaging and makes a decision to purchase because of that description, the purchaser has been misled.

Yea its a tough call, but that person would be considered slightly gullible. I don't know, but pushing it all the way to its limits could achieve 25mins :?:

Brettly said:
Yea its a tough call, but that person would be considered slightly gullible. I don't know, but pushing it all the way to its limits could achieve 25mins :?:

Its kind of funny in a way seeing people complain about having "only" 20 minutes of flight time.

I have some aircraft that get FOUR MINUTES and you are pushing it at that! ;)

Fosure. Even 20mins of complete focused attention on flying would be ok with me. Just land and throw another battery in er.:)

Just land and put in the next battery. :D
My vision (non plus) took 20 minutes, but i like the gimbal of the vision plus :mrgreen:

I have no problems with flight times either, with my P1 (no camera) I can stay aloft for about 13 minutes, with camera 8 1/2 minutes. P2VP between 15-18 minutes which I am over the moon about, what I do not like is when companies say their product can do something which they can not, that is false advertisement.

Sasquatch said:
Yes, wind can have an effect on the battery life because the motors are working harder at times to compensate. It also depends too on how hard or aggressively you're flying; higher speeds, throttling up hard and fast a lot etc. Personally, I wouldn't risk running the battery down to 10%, but that's just me.
Isn't the 'auto land' function triggered at 15% battery? How would one run them down to 10%?

The alarms are programmable. Keep in mind that it is not "heathy" for the batteries to be run lower than 20% and you can damage the cells. I have been seeing posts lately about "swollen" batteries which very well could have been caused from running them too low.
Yes, I know DJI recommends running them low periodically but keep in mind who sells the only approved battery for the Phantom 2 Vision.
I have run my batteries lower than 20% on occasion but I try not to. Also, I have my 2nd alarm set at 18%

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Isn't the 'auto land' function triggered at 15% battery? How would one run them down to 10%?

The bird starts to descend when the second alarm is reached, but you can override it by holding the left stick up at 90-100% lift.

Yeah maybe 25 min if you just sit there and hover and push the battery to the limit, so yes technically that's true.
I'm happy with my flight time. I'm ready for a brake after 18 - 20 min.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl