First Video flight - 3 minute video interesting camera

Reaction score
Yesterday was a nasty day to fly but.....an idea can't wait to be tested. I bought a Phantom 1 a couple weeks ago and have been flying daily. I do not have a GoPro so I have been cameraless. Over the weekend it hit me. Why not try my spy pen video camera made by Swann. It is cheap at $49.00 but takes incredible 740p HD video. (my other pen is 1080p) Weight is almost nothing. So I had to figure out a mount. The prototype flight was with packing tape holding the pen against the mount. The vibration was nasty and the video quality was too. For the next mount, I took a rubber insulated bottle cozy and cut it to wrap around GoPro mount. I then added industrial strength Velcro over the rubber. The pen had the other half of the Velcro and fit to the mount. There is no way it is going to come off in flight. The rubber really helped. The day of the flight was nasty. The winds were gusty and were pre-thunderstorm. Even with the wind the camera, mount and Phantom did great. I can't wait until a low wind day to try it again. Once down, the pen camera attaches to your computer by USB and you download the file. The next video will be much less shaky and jerky. (I don't have FPV so I didn't realize that a fast turn can make you dizzy when you look at the video) Here is the link. Comments are appreciated. http://youtu.be/cXVY_nKoyq0. Hugh

Not sure what sort of comments you want. That video was, hmmm, how can I say this nicely... Actually don't think I have anything nice to say so I won't say anything. :lol:

How about, good job thinking outside the box. ;)

Nice that it is lightweight. Too bad that is the most jello I have ever seen on a video.

The video seemed to be moving in fast motion.....what is the frame rate you're recording at? If it's only 15 fops or something, you need to use software to slow the video down some I think. The dynamic range of the camera is very narrow because the video looks very flat. It does let you go exploring to see what's over the next hill!

Thanks for the comments. I was not focused on the quality of the video but on the ability to take an inexpensive, light (17g), 720d HD, 30fps camera and make it work. The Phantom is a wonderful platform for development. I am an engineer, pilot, and ham radio operator. A true geek. The Phantom 1 is a great learning and testing platform. I'll try and work on the video quality in the next steps. I may have posted in the wrong forum. Is there a technical development forum? I have a number of areas of interest. (interface to home automation, use of tuned vibration dampening materials, anti-noise (mechanical conduction), home security interface (one of the purposes for having small cameras mounted on the four legs in addition to the gimble camera), etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl