First flight fly away....P3A crash...

Those high-voltage, high-power transmission power lines have to be highly suspect.

They could both be emitting a lot of RF interference, and also a strong magnetic field...

Just my best guess...
Good that you stated it was a guess. Those power lines are not "high-voltage, high-power transmission lines". They are typical urban/suburban/rural distribution lines.

The image in Jeriami's post #113 are typical regional transmission lines. There is a very large difference in voltage between the types.

You flew too close to the power lines and the electricity caused a magnetic interference. Have you filed a case with DJI? I bet that is exactly what they will tell you.

Good that you stated it was a guess. Those power lines are not "high-voltage, high-power transmission lines". They are typical urban/suburban/rural distribution lines.

The image in Jeriami's post #113 are typical regional transmission lines. There is a very large difference in voltage between the types.

Hope I didn't offend......As an engineer (chemical, not an electrical, however), yes, I am generally aware of the vastly different voltages employed in various local, regional and national distribution systems. This even includes the differences between the lines lower down and at the top of the good old wooden poles that are common along many residential and rural roads.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Without going back and looking at your video again, I think I remember two sets of lines. One of the lower, wooden pole type, and one of the higher steel pole type. I would be very surprised if the higher steel tower lines did not carry a substantially higher AC voltage....and just as important...higher current than the lower ones. And with that, I would suggest that you treat them with more caution than the lower ones.

Moreover, having had one control incident in their vicinity, I'd be cautious in the future. But that's just me.

Personally, I have flown close to over and under lines on wooden poles along roads without any hint of problems. However, the one time I had a control problem with my P2 was in the vicinity of a transmission line that looked very similar to the higher one in your video. They are of the type that distribute the power around the town and nearby areas, but not regionally. While I am far from 100% convinced that my control incident was due to those lines, it did occur to me........

Hope I didn't offend...

...However, the one time I had a control problem with my P2 was in the vicinity of a transmission line that looked very similar to the higher one in your video. They are of the type that distribute the power around the town and nearby areas, but not regionally...
Right on. No offense taken. Just clearing up some wording that can be important. 'Transmission' and 'distribution' lines, from an electrical company perspective are different animals. Not likely the ones you are referring to are transmission lines as you have in the above wording. As you have provided, they are distribution lines that "distribute the power areound the town...".

If you're gonna use the P3 gather more data could you please do this. Get as close as you can. From what's been posted it seems that you can't get close enough to duplicate the conditions where the compass event occurred. Since the signal was not evident at this distance we'll need to gather more data and attempt to "pull the signal out of the noise" with some signal processing techniques

Use a cardboard box, or something else to elevate the P3, and leave it for one minute without touching or moving it. Then repeat this in several different orientations. The reason for not touching or moving is that the interference may be caused by an electric field and could be evident in the gyros and accelerometers as well as the compass.

You guys still interested in me gathering this information?

You flew too close to the power lines and the electricity caused a magnetic interference. Have you filed a case with DJI? I bet that is exactly what they will tell you.

As you suggest we RTFM in your signature, the same should be done for this thread. There is clear and irrefutable evidence the calibration was done incorrectly. Power lines will not cause this kind of incident.

As you suggest we RTFM in your signature, the same should be done for this thread. There is clear and irrefutable evidence the calibration was done incorrectly. Power lines will not cause this kind of incident.
I agree with @BudWalker , the whole flight would have been messed up if the bad compass calibration had anything to do with the crash. This was clearly external influence. First flight fly away....P3A crash...

There are countless cases of bad calibrations that don't manifest until minutes into the flight.
The videos the OP posted seem to have a few seconds removed between the two of them. The most plausible explanation is that he could have touched a line or that being only inches away could have caused magnetic interference. I don't care who has flown by what line and how high or low power they are, if DJI says not to have your keys or phone on you while calibrating, i would guess that a power transmission or even power distribution line would cause magnetic interference when you are a few inches from them. And as far as power transmission lines are concerned, DJI says they can cause compass errors (page 51 of the manual you supposedly read)
upload_2016-2-1_15-6-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-1_15-3-59.png
    upload_2016-2-1_15-3-59.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: movius
Didn't hit the power lines for the 100th time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Didn't hit the power lines for the 100th time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Why does it look like there is some footage missing from your videos? I said "or that being only inches away could have caused magnetic interference." And DJI wrote about it in the manual, page 51. So what has DJI said about your warranty claim? I am real curious what the outcome is.

The characteristic TBE signature starts before and lasts after the close proximity to the wires.

Some wonderful work done on behalf of TmoneyF by some very clever people. Now, I can't hope to add any more other than to say that the moment I heard mention of power cables my mind drifted towards the possibility of electromagnetic interference. My tuppence worth is that surely flying near known sources of electromagnetic radiation has to be a risk and is therefore neither ideal or sensible.

I may not be able to do the math but I understand colours

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-18jXyGgraYk/Ux0EdslLKZI/AAAAAAAADps/E1_3vBQ-igI/s1600/mag+t%3D6.667.png

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sinisalo
Why does it look like there is some footage missing from your videos? I said "or that being only inches away could have caused magnetic interference." And DJI wrote about it in the manual, page 51. So what has DJI said about your warranty claim? I am real curious what the outcome is.

I don't know why footage is missing. Thats how it came off my phone. Have you taken the opportunity to watch the replay of the flight that was linked in an earlier post? I'm at least ~30' away from the power lines when the quad accelerates to almost 7 mph with no input from me. Start at the 4 second mark.

Its real easy to blame the power lines because it's the biggest thing around when all the data these guys have poured over doesn't support the theory. Maybe it is was but I don't think anyone at this point can defiantly say that was the cause.

Dropbox - IMG_0048.MOV

Last edited:
Its real easy to blame the power lines because it's the biggest thing around when all the data these guys have poured over doesn't support the theory. Maybe it is was but I don't think anyone at this point can definitely say that was the cause
You've had a few posts from Ian explaining exactly what the cause was.
Where did you calibrate the compass?

Reactions: movius

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart