Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

Having android I did successfully update everything to 1.8.80. I just got my used P3P and it had the original firmware and didn't have some of the features I wanted. So, I did some incremental updates (not sure of those steps were necessary) and successfully flew it after each one. Eventually got it to the current firmware. I've done 2 short flights since then and everything is fine so far. I'll let you know if anything comes up (or down if something goes wrong).

I would surely think that each new update is cumulative and has everything from all the updates before it. If I'm wrong, then that's kinda scary..
I'm pretty sure doesn't matter what version you have now, if you update to the recent , that's exactly what your AC will have on board! When Txt says "Success" that will be your clue everything worked out fine..!

I'm pretty sure doesn't matter what version you have now, if you update to the recent , that's exactly what your AC will have on board! When Txt says "Success" that will be your clue everything worked out fine..!

Checked after doing the updates and log did say SUCCESS, but.....

I upgraded the RC and A/C firmware this morning to 1.6.0 and 1.8.80 with app current at 2.7.1 with iPad mini2. I then tested the upgrade and everything seemed fine, flying and stability all good with full telemetry and good vision. What I should have done was taken a few test pictures and video, because when I arrived on site and got airborne ready to take the pictures and video it all went wrong.

When I pressed the shutter button it made the familiar click but the GO app didn't return to the camera view and instead it stayed on a black screen for about 5 seconds followed by the white DJI logo flashing up. I tried a few more times, no joy, and then with video....same thing, would make video start beep and look like it was recording on the app but would not record anything to the card.

Since returning home I have tried with a different card and still no good. Have even downgraded the firmware back one version on both,(no good) and then re-installed the latest versions again, same thing happening. The P3P has always been cased and i'm really careful when transporting it.

If anyone out there could give me an idea of what's happening it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't go back and get these pictures tomorrow I will have lost the job. Bad news.

Many thanks in advance and fingers crossed.

This is a really sad state for you. Don't fly but take pictures. See the results.

How's the quality of pictures on screen?

Is led green on gimbal?

Try another ad card.

Hi and thanks for replying.

The view on the iPad is perfect, It is only when I press the shutter button or video record button that the screen goes black for 5 seconds and the shutter button on the app does that scrolling effect, (like the loading circular pattern). Then the DJI logo appears in white and the camera live view comes back on the screen. When I check, nothing has been recorded on the card or iPad. I have now tried 3 separate cards.

The led on the gimbal is green and have tried taking pictures and video when not flying and have the same result of screen going black and nothing recorded to card.

Just an answer, If I can.
When you say: "Upgrade the Aircraft with RC OFF, first, and then upgrade the RC with Aircraft OFF" what exactly do you intend?
When I start the DJI GO app and it says "Upgrade Firmware", Aircraft and RC are both ON, isn't it?
Then I follow the instructions on the app and I download the upgrade: at the end the upgrade starts immediatly. Well is this the moment (when upgrade starts, I intend) when I have to switch off the RC to avoid a disconnenction between Aircraft and RC?

Last edited:
Hi, I just upgraded from 1.07.6 to 1.080088.
All was done in 6 minutes, ended with success.

But when launching RC and DJI Go I got the fast flashing yellow lights and the red "Signal Lost" message.
I have the camera view, the gimbal moves OK and the camera settings available, but the motors won't start.

I read in the release note that both AC and RC must be updated or they'll not link, fine. But how to update the RC?
DJi Go says "latest firmware" with RC at 1.57 and AC at 1.0760+ (??? why not 1.08?) and ask for nothing and doesn't download any RC firmware either.

I tried pairing the RC and the drone, push the small switch, DJI Go says process ending as usual BUT the small link-led keeps flashing red-light. No joy.

I've done all this above using DJI Go 2.6.1.
So I tried again, installing DJI Go v2.7.2 issued today : all the same symptoms. Signal Lost, motors don't start, unable to pair AC and RC.

I try to downgrade back to FW 1.076 in copying it on a blank formated SD card and firing the drone up: no joy, does nothing, says FW is same or older.

So what can I do to get it working? I'm despaired...
The same happened to me. When you go to start the motors you get a message about the IUM is calibrating or some such nonsense . I went to advanced settings and recalibrate the IMU. Tried again but no help. I was updating in my house so I brought the Phantom outside waited ten minutes restarted everything and it worked fine. Go figure.

Checked after doing the updates and log did say SUCCESS, but.....

I upgraded the RC and A/C firmware this morning to 1.6.0 and 1.8.80 with app current at 2.7.1 with iPad mini2. I then tested the upgrade and everything seemed fine, flying and stability all good with full telemetry and good vision. What I should have done was taken a few test pictures and video, because when I arrived on site and got airborne ready to take the pictures and video it all went wrong.

When I pressed the shutter button it made the familiar click but the GO app didn't return to the camera view and instead it stayed on a black screen for about 5 seconds followed by the white DJI logo flashing up. I tried a few more times, no joy, and then with video....same thing, would make video start beep and look like it was recording on the app but would not record anything to the card.

Since returning home I have tried with a different card and still no good. Have even downgraded the firmware back one version on both,(no good) and then re-installed the latest versions again, same thing happening. The P3P has always been cased and i'm really careful when transporting it.

If anyone out there could give me an idea of what's happening it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't go back and get these pictures tomorrow I will have lost the job. Bad news.

Many thanks in advance and fingers crossed.
I have had this same issue on my Andriod Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I shut down all background apps and uninstalled and reinstalled the DJI app. This seems to help but still happens from time to time. It is very frustrating and something I hope they fix. Due to wind, I havent been able to fly with the new 1.8 update but the newest app seems to be working fine while testing it inside.

Let's see if I can help here. I have done A LOT of upgrades for guys in our group and never had a fail. This is how I do it:
- turn EVERYTHING OFF
- go to the DJI page and look for YOUR Phantom model in the upper left corned pull down menu
- once you found your drone model, go to the right and down to DOWNLOADS ZIP
- click the ZIP file and download/save it to your computer desktop
- after download completed, click on the folder icon and open the folder, inside is a file with the generic FW
- take the micro SD card and put it in the computer, right click on it and format it
- open the icon of the micro SD card and copy/paste the generic FW file in the SD card
- remove the SD card and put it in the drone slot for the SD card
- turn on the drone (only!)
- the FW update should start and the light above the camera blinks red/green and drone beeps (10-15 min)
- when the light is green steady and drone beeps - -- turn off the drone
- remove the SD card from the drone and put it back in the computer
- open the SD card icon and look for a .txt file, scroll to the bottom and it should say SUCCESS
- leave the drone turned off
- go to the tablet and delete the GO app
- reinstall the GO app
- turn everything ON (RC, GO app, drone)
- on the tablet in the GO app, top tab, click on it and look for update needed
- follow the update instructions and complete the RC update
- when update done turn everything OFF again.
- turn ON the tablet ONLY
- delete GO app again and install it
- turn everything ON again and look for RC update again (yes you need to do it twice)
- again download the RC update
- when download completed turn OFF everything again (I know, is a pain)
- again for last time delete and install GO app
- turn all ON and look for all generics to be up to date
- do IMU calibration
- set the parameters as you want in the pages
- all should be OK now without any problems

Reactions: reboot81 and DrJoe
I wont be updating. My Drone is fine as it is and I have no need to change anything at all. Why try and Fix something if it isn't broke?
The hard part is ignoring the constant UPDATE REQUIRED Message in dji Go.

Reactions: Apilot101
I highly recommend not running 1.5 firmware. The DJI guys were pretty stern when describing how dangerous it was for sudden power shutdown. When I spoke to them at the CES show in January they said the firmware doesn't read voltage levels correctly, which results in sudden auto landings, and some cases power shutdowns midflight. That firmware cost DJI dearly in warranty claims, birds falling from the sky. As I was leaving the DJI booth they said to me, never fly 1.5, just don't go there. Hence, I've deemed that firmware the kiss of death. I think the sudden power shutdowns are in very cold climates, but can't say for sure, and I'll never know since I'll never fly 1.5.
Does anyone know why FW 1.6 is no longer downloadable on DJI website

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Strange one earlier. I decided to try my Samsung s6 phone with the controller and couldn't change the camera resolution to 2.7k. Weird, connected the tablet and it was fine again

Let's see if I can help here. I have done A LOT of upgrades for guys in our group and never had a fail. This is how I do it:
- turn EVERYTHING OFF
- go to the DJI page and look for YOUR Phantom model in the upper left corned pull down menu
- after download completed, click on the folder icon and open the folder, inside is a file with the generic FW
- take the micro SD card and put it in the computer, right click on it and format it
- open the icon of the micro SD card and copy/paste the generic FW file in the SD card
- the FW update should start and the light above the camera blinks red/green and drone beeps (10-15 min)
- open the SD card icon and look for a .txt file, scroll to the bottom and it should say SUCCESS
- reinstall the GO app
- turn everything ON again and look for RC update again (yes you need to do it twice)
- do IMU calibration
That's a pretty long haul, lol. But when it works for you, all good. Two things I would suggest to do differently. I think people get into trouble formatting the card in the computer. I have never formatted a card pre firmware update process. I take all files off so the card is empty and start the routine of placing the bin file on it. If anything, I format the card when I'm done but I do it from the app software, not the computer. Let the dji app software do the formatting and you're guaranteed not to get an improper format. The other thing I have always done is update the bird first with only the bird on. Then IF there is a new version of the go app or im a few revs behind, I delete my version, power cycle my tablet [important to do], install the new version. Then turn on only the remote with the tablet and app connected and do the rc update- bird off at this time. Once done, I turn the remote off and force close the go app. When that is complete, I power up everything as normal.

The first thing to try if there are app problems after updating is to delete the app, power cycle the tablet, and reinstall the app.

Last edited:
Yes follow the same procedure that you used to upgrade but keep 1.7 bin file on sd card, remove 1.8 bin file.

Why do you want to roll back? FW 1.8 seems to be very stable FW as per the results shown by others.
I just had a bad experience updating to it. That's why i have kind of negative vibe towards it :) I just asked inoverall. Probably i won't do it.))

Why would I have to uninstall the Go App that many times? I can understand the first time but especially why the last time? I'm still on the 1.7 FW so I'm not updating until I can see more successes with 1.8.

- turn EVERYTHING OFF
- reinstall the GO app
- do IMU calibration

I getting an RC updated is needed with IOS and I already updated, but when I use my LG tap I got it updated with no problem...I was wondering why...thanks for the reasoning.

Erase all from pad and reload app again and hook up RC follow instruction on pad it will automatically down load RC from pad it worked for me.

But when launching RC and DJI Go I got the fast flashing yellow lights and the red "Signal Lost" message.
I have the camera view, the gimbal moves OK and the camera settings available, but the motors won't start.

I read in the release note that both AC and RC must be updated or they'll not link, fine. But how to update the RC?
DJi Go says "latest firmware" with RC at 1.57 and AC at 1.0760+ (??? why not 1.08?) and ask for nothing and doesn't download any RC firmware either.

I tried pairing the RC and the drone, push the small switch, DJI Go says process ending as usual BUT the small link-led keeps flashing red-light. No joy.

So I tried again, installing DJI Go v2.7.2 issued today : all the same symptoms. Signal Lost, motors don't start, unable to pair AC and RC.

I try to downgrade back to FW 1.076 in copying it on a blank formated SD card and firing the drone up: no joy, does nothing, says FW is same or older.

I had same problem with RC after down load i can not update RC
I erased my app on my i pad and down load new same app .
I hooker i pad to RC and turn on and on monater said

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor