Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

Thanks for that Terence&konidair. I was also waiting to pull that trigger, now that I everything will be ok I will upgrade. But one question do you think it will be alright on iPad mini 3 wifi & Cellular? Because not sure what iOS devices u guys are using..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm using my Iphone 6plus since I bought my P3P. Planning to buy an Ipad mini/air in the near future

Had my new one out early this morning

Firmware all up to date

Had to calibrate the compass a few times as it wasn't showing up as it should direction wise in relation to me

It was sunny but very cold and on the last battery I got a warning about the battery needing heated up

Think I also got a reduced propulsion message too mid flight due to this

Flew like a dream, well happy I've got a working one again

One other thing to note, on the app when flying the video was showing up full screen and when I flew the phantom a fair distance away the video on the screen changed aspect ratio (from 16:9 to 4:3) suddenly, anyone else experience this ?

Had to calibrate the compass a few times as it wasn't showing up as it should direction wise in relation to me

When this happens you've to calibrate your device (tablet or phone) compass by rotating it in all directions, not your phantom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeprider
One other thing to note, on the app when flying the video was showing up full screen and when I flew the phantom a fair distance away the video on the screen changed aspect ratio (from 16:9 to 4:3) suddenly, anyone else experience this ?

Mine started doing this several weeks ago, long before this firmware update. I think it was right after an app update (for Android). Except my video feed is always compressed into 4:3 which obviously causes distortion. It never switches back and forth. Very frustrating. Few people have complained about it which surprises me and later app updates and this current firmware update haven't fixed it.

Really? Never knew that. How is it done ?
Simply by shaking your device a little bit. It's ok even if you have it already in its place on the RC, just move down up left right your phantom RC with the tablet/phone on it. Few seconds and you'll see immediately the arrow changing direction pointing exactly where the phantom nose is [emoji106]

konidair. If you decide to go with iPad mini over the Air, I recommend the mini 3. I can't speak for everyone but the mini 3 wifi & Cellular has worked flawlessly for me. I have never used the Air with my phantom, but from what I have read the screen can be a bit to big. Don't get me wrong a bigger screen would be awesome to fly with but I wonder if the extra weight and size is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I just upgraded from 1.07.6 to 1.080088.
All was done in 6 minutes, ended with success.

But when launching RC and DJI Go I got the fast flashing yellow lights and the red "Signal Lost" message.
I have the camera view, the gimbal moves OK and the camera settings available, but the motors won't start.

I read in the release note that both AC and RC must be updated or they'll not link, fine. But how to update the RC?
DJi Go says "latest firmware" with RC at 1.57 and AC at 1.0760+ (??? why not 1.08?) and ask for nothing and doesn't download any RC firmware either.

I tried pairing the RC and the drone, push the small switch, DJI Go says process ending as usual BUT the small link-led keeps flashing red-light. No joy.

I've done all this above using DJI Go 2.6.1.
So I tried again, installing DJI Go v2.7.2 issued today : all the same symptoms. Signal Lost, motors don't start, unable to pair AC and RC.

I try to downgrade back to FW 1.076 in copying it on a blank formated SD card and firing the drone up: no joy, does nothing, says FW is same or older.

So what can I do to get it working? I'm despaired...
The only way for the RC to update is to uninstall the DJI app then reinstall. Then the RC will recognize the FW update and it will prompt for FW update. That's what I did and it works fine.

Hi all
I was flying today together with my friend. he also has p3a, 1.8FW.

So this was my first flight with the new firmware, so, it gave me poor radio chanel quality notice in the menu.
During flight, the video was lagging. it took 4-5 seconds for camera to move up and down and etc. It happened mostly when i was far away. When i was closer, there were no delays.
I firstly thought it was the problem with new firmware.

So i landed the bird.
After, i asked my friend toland his also and turn his RC off. He did so. Then i turned on mine, and signal quality was GOOD. the moment he turned it back on - it went poor.
His had no problem absolutely, no poor signal,no fpv laggin - only once a while the fpv was reloading, like a photo on a dial up internet 

So is it ok/ Is it how its supposed to be? Cause i heard a lot of pilots her fly together, and nobody has issue like this.

Just in case attaching the screenshots of channels was set to AUTO)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have the same problem when another RC is ON near me. Depending which RC is more powerful, it overwhelms the other RC and link is bad.

Just updated AC to 1.8.80 with App on IOS 2.7.1 then downloaded and installed RC update. It did this fine but when I look at the "About" screen it ells me RC "Version Unknown". Help would be much appreciated.

"RC signal lost" and "FC N/A" after upgrade. What happened?
APP: 2.7.1
RC: 1.6.0
I've tried to reconnect the RC to the aircraft following the "Linking the Remote Controller" procedure, but the led on aircraft remains "red" after the procedure

Couldn't find any thread for this new firmware release.

Overview:
1. All-in-One firmware version updated to:v1.8.80
2. DJI GO app Android version updated to: v2.7.2

What's new:
1. Improved aircraft stability through optimized flight controller logic.
2. Optimized gimbal parameters
3. Fixed clip preview error in 2.7K resolution mode
4. Improved encryption to enhance security during transmission

Notes:
- The firmware can be downgraded to v1.7.0060.
- Both the aircraft and the remote controller must be upgraded or else they will not link

Anyone had the chance to check it out yet? :)

Just a thought. I have been in the habit for a very long time in the computer field to delete the update file after it has been updated. If your new BIN file is there when you reboot, it might be confused. Try deleting the BIN file from the sd card AFTER the update, then reboot. It will probably all be good. Mine is fine. Not sure I notice any improvements yet, but have not really dug in.

Can I go straight from 1.4 to 1.8, or do i have to go step by step (1.5 => 1.6 => 1.7 => 1.8)? I have P3A.

So I've had my P3P for all of a week. Crashed it in my pond on day 2 - yet it recovered fine after 2 days of drying out.
I am by no means well versed in the world of Phantoms. Maybe my step-by-step will help the next guy.

I keep the little 16gig card that came with the drone just for firmware.
When a new firmware comes out the old one goes to a folder along with the log. That way I have the old one, but its not on the root of the card to cause confusion.

I first read the previous posts about updating so I had a clear idea of what to expect and do.
To be clear:
The DJI Go app has a version: 2.72 for Android
The firmware you download 1.08.0080 is "all in one" meaning it is the same firmware file for both the drone and the controller.

I tried updating the controller first using the firmware on a USB card adapter as in the video - and nothing happened. It acted like there was no firmware .bin file on the card.
So I got thinking that maybe the controller is looking for the log file generated by updating the drone. Maybe the remote won't update until it knows the drone has.
I updated the drone. No problem
At 9:30 I watched the camera gimbal do a much of maneuvers (calibration?)
At 10:01 the drone started flashing its 'happy lights' pattern and the camera LED went steady-green indicating it was done and successful.

Removed the sd card from the drone and put it in the adapter to plug into the controller.
Plugged in the card adapter - started my stopwatch. The update is supposed to start at around 60 seconds.
After 2:30 nothing happened. So I played the video again. At 2:00 into the video the guy mentions "The documentation led me to beleive I needed to have the Phantom on, but in actuality I did not". What documenation he's talking about I have no idea because the firmware download doesn't come with so much as a Readme.txt.
At 5:00 the remote started beeping - probably becuase its powered on and disconnected for so long.

Powered down the controller and removed the card adapter.
Connected my Samsung Tab4 to the conntroller (all powered off)
Powered up the drone
Powered on the tablet
Powered on the controller
Control info panel reports that the firmware needs to be updated and provides a link to download it directory from the tablet/DJI Go app
After download complete it offers to install the update to the controller.
That was successful in 60 seconds.

Drone still did not connect to the controller - but I'm not surprised.
Powered everything off again.
Power on drone - let it finish booting
Power on tablet
Power on controller (launching DJI go automatically)
Coonected to aircrafted

Go fly through a full battery.

Maybe this is normal, but even with 12-14 satellites connected the drone will still drift by 3-6 feet horizontally and 1-2 feet vertically.
Once I have a charged battery again and some free time I'll go through and re-calibrate compass on controller and tablet again.

Hi, I just upgraded from 1.07.6 to 1.080088.
All was done in 6 minutes, ended with success.

But when launching RC and DJI Go I got the fast flashing yellow lights and the red "Signal Lost" message.
I have the camera view, the gimbal moves OK and the camera settings available, but the motors won't start.

I read in the release note that both AC and RC must be updated or they'll not link, fine. But how to update the RC?
DJi Go says "latest firmware" with RC at 1.57 and AC at 1.0760+ (??? why not 1.08?) and ask for nothing and doesn't download any RC firmware either.

I tried pairing the RC and the drone, push the small switch, DJI Go says process ending as usual BUT the small link-led keeps flashing red-light. No joy.

I've done all this above using DJI Go 2.6.1.
So I tried again, installing DJI Go v2.7.2 issued today : all the same symptoms. Signal Lost, motors don't start, unable to pair AC and RC.

I try to downgrade back to FW 1.076 in copying it on a blank formated SD card and firing the drone up: no joy, does nothing, says FW is same or older.

So what can I do to get it working? I'm despaired...
Hi, Pierrot78

Apologies if you already have this info but I had the same problem and the same frustration however I went to DJI and downloaded the 1.8 update and installed on the ac and rc and all is working again. Good luck.

I don't know why, but now my Phantom 3 Pro has decided to work again!
Don't ask what I did: a lot of proofs and finally the red led on the aircraft has turned in a solid green and then the "RC signal lost" has become "Safe to fly (Non-GPS)"!
Apple App: 2.7.1
Aircraft: 1.8.80
RC: 1.6.0

I just updated to 1.8.80. But my RC is at 1.6 is this correct?

P3A. Flys fine with full operation

Thanks guys
Dave

Enough time has passed and reports have come in where I will attempt it. Doing the firmware update right now on my RC and AC. Will report back on results.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor