Firmware upgrade 1.6

Reaction score
During my last fw 1.5 upgrade it made a steady tone and needed to be sent in for repair. Took 3 weeks to get back. Only had 6 hours of flight time. Did not fly it yet. Was nervous but decided to upgrade to 1.6. Put file on the SD card. It made no beeping sound for 10 minutes then started beeping and updated. I did both batteries and it said it completed. Today I powered it up and the camera drooped and no camera signal

I again tried to update firmware no beeping green and red gimbal lights blinking no sound. Been 40 minutes going to power down and check text file. I am so sick of DJI I think it is time to seek one of the new competitors. Sick of this crap.

....as soon as someone can compete with light bridge technology for distance.

During my last fw 1.5 upgrade it made a steady tone and needed to be sent in for repair. Took 3 weeks to get back. Only had 6 hours of flight time. Did not fly it yet. Was nervous but decided to upgrade to 1.6. Put file on the SD card. It made no beeping sound for 10 minutes then started beeping and updated. I did both batteries and it said it completed. Today I powered it up and the camera drooped and no camera signal

I again tried to update firmware no beeping green and red gimbal lights blinking no sound. Been 40 minutes going to power down and check text file. I am so sick of DJI I think it is time to seek one of the new competitors. Sick of this crap.
What a god **** nightmare. I tried to install 1.5 and it stopped beeping and the lights just flashed so I powered down. Then I powered up and it made a long D D D sound and I researched and leared that this was an aborted fw upgrade. I powred down, inserted 1.6 and powered up. The Loud D D D continued so I put it in the garage for 1/2 and hour. Beeping stopped and it upgraded. Powred on and video was cutting in and out. Then for some magical reason it came on fine. Powred down a few times and each time it came up.

Like a fool decided to upgrade the batteries. Put in 1.6. Powered on camera drooped and now its dead again. It just amazes be how poor and fragile they are in taking firmware upgrades especially since they seem to come out almost monthly. I will try a few more things and then its a letter to DJI stating that either they send me a new one this time or I sue them under the lemon laws in the State of New Jersey. I swear if there was an alternative I would dump their **** permantly. Please someone make a drone and compete with them PLEASE PLEASE.

Update
I am trying to go back to version 1.5. I formated the SD card and isntalled the bin file for 1.5 and now its doing this D-D only. Two short beeps over and over again for the past 45 minutes. What does 2 beeps mean?

Check the firmware YouTube video on beep. On phone, will try to look up later when on computer.

For now, i suggest you download the latest bin from DJI web site for your drone. Then try upgrade procedure again.

Update
I am trying to go back to version 1.5. I formated the SD card and isntalled the bin file for 1.5 and now its doing this D-D only. Two short beeps over and over again for the past 45 minutes. What does 2 beeps mean?
Pull your SD card. Read the log file and let us know what it says... failed?

After the 1.5 failed I got the loud D-D-D sound again. Put it back in the garage and when it stopped it said it successfully upgraded to 1.6

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.06.0040.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

The video still cuts in and out. Totally unstable and after a few seconds goes black. No lose cables I already checked. I did notice that the camera needs to write to the SD card in order to load properly. I tried to format the SD card in the P3P and I get the error "SD card format timeout" this may explain why its having issues I think the Micro Card slot on the P3P is now bad. Also I noticed that then I press the button on the battery to shut off it no longer makes a sound when powering down.

I originally asked DJI or B&H to send me a new one in a cross shipment RMA and they both refused. DJI looks like they repaired the original camera issue and now something else (most likely hardware) has failed again. I purchased a backpack, all their ND filters, 2 spare batteries and now I have had enough of their poor customer service and all of this nonsense. I sent their US support email a message stating that unless they send me a new unit immediately, on Monday I am filing a lawsuit against them for indemnification and monetary reimbursement totaling all of my purchases I have made from both DJI and B&H.

My patience and forbearance are gone. I also have insurance with B&H and DJI and B&H and the insurance company were all pointing fingers at one another which is why I shipped it back to DJI. It ruined the holidays which I expected and took 3 weeks to get it back only to learn that it’s still not working.

It amazes me that none of them (DJI, B&H or the insurance company Square Trade) were willing to just ship me a new one. Remember it had 6 hours of flight time on it.

I am confident that DJI will not return my calls or messages and I am just done with this.

Monday I will file a lawsuit against all three of them seeking monetary reimbursement for all of the money I have spent on this equipment. Let the three of them work out who pays for what but I am not going to allow them to continue to upset and torture me over something that should have just been replaced. After I win a judgement against them, I will send it all back and they can deal with it.

Perhaps I will buy a Plexidrone or wait for some of the new competitors to roll out what they are building. Spending over $2,000 with DJI and B&H and having to fight with both of them is just not worth it. Let them have their General Counsel respond to my Summons and Complaint and try to defend themselves against why I should not be reimbursed I have read enough about the company on this forum to know what kind of company I am dealing with. I wish I would have known about this forum before I purchased anything from DJI. Too bad for B&H as well, perhaps I need to rethink my purchases from them as well.

Perhaps the anger will pass but I doubt it

Happy New Year !

Last edited:
I am surprised at your account of B&H behavior. It sound to me you have only had the quad for less than a month. I believe B&H has a no questions asked return policy. Why don't you simply return it and get a new one?

Instead of argue with B&H, DJI, insurance about repair, maybe just simply call B&H and said you are not happy with the product and would like to return it per their policy below. Wouldn't that be the quickest and easiest route?

Return & Exchange Policy | B&H Photo Video
Easy 30-Day Returns Policy
We care about your satisfaction. That's why returns to B&H are fast & easy! If you are dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason, you may return it to B&H within 30 days of the purchase date, subject to the conditions and exclusions below:

Reactions: SergeantJoKer
Check this video:

Go to time index 3:34 of the video and watch from there.

Sound Signal:

D-D-D-D-D-D = this is when the quad is reading the firmware file

D-D-D-D D-D-D-D = this is when quad is installing the firmware

D---DD D---DD D---DD = this is when the firmware update is completed.

Also you might try reading some of these thread to see if you can glimpse some helpful information:

DJI Forum|Downlink Video is severely unstable after upgrade to Sept 7,2015 firmware

I am surprised at your account of B&H behavior. It sound to me you have only had the quad for less than a month. I believe B&H has a no questions asked return policy. Why don't you simply return it and get a new one?

Instead of argue with B&H, DJI, insurance about repair, maybe just simply call B&H and said you are not happy with the product and would like to return it per their policy below. Wouldn't that be the quickest and easiest route?

Return & Exchange Policy | B&H Photo Video
Easy 30-Day Returns Policy
We care about your satisfaction. That's why returns to B&H are fast & easy! If you are dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason, you may return it to B&H within 30 days of the purchase date, subject to the conditions and exclusions below:

I purchased it at the end of July. B&H Has a special repair vendor that they send Drones to for repair located in New Jersey if it's over 30 days. I decided that if I absolutely had to send it back for repair it made more sense to send it back directly to DJI. I did not fly it very much and was surprised B&H was giving me such a hard time. I also bought a 2 year extended warranty from Square Trade through B&H but they also wanted to send it to a non DJI repair shop.

Phantom shells are cracking, the motors have been redesigned, batteries have voltage drops and several have fallen out of the sky.

I understand the challenges in this hobby but they were quick to take my money and now are driving me crazy instead of just replacing it. My holiday has come and gone and I have wasted weeks fighting over who is responsible. It's just ridiculous.

I will be suing all of them on Monday under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) Let their attorneys figure out who is responsible.

At this juncture I just want either a brand new one or a full refund which I believe is fair and reasonable. I am still really angry and at this point am not even sure that a brand new one is the route I should take. As I mentioned before perhaps I will just wait for a competitor to make a better version.

With DJI’s awful customer service when that happens the company will probably go Bankrupt anyway (grin).

This site is great and I have learned many things here all of you are masters. It's ashamed what has been happening to this hobby lately and it's ashamed that DJI customer service is still abysmal.

To be honest I am surprised that pilots on here have not already gotten together and filed a class action lawsuit against DJI because of all of the defective cracking shells. I would also be interested in learning why they changed the motors. Probably another design defect.

It's disappointing that my P3P is under warranty and even has an extended 2 year additional warranty and I just can't get any of them to take responsibility and replace it.

Well thanks as always for listening. Perhaps by tomorrow I will calm down but at this point that is probably highly unlikely.

Check this video:

Go to time index 3:34 of the video and watch from there.

Sound Signal:

D-D-D-D-D-D = this is when the quad is reading the firmware file

D-D-D-D D-D-D-D = this is when quad is installing the firmware

D---DD D---DD D---DD = this is when the firmware update is completed.

Also you might try reading some of these thread to see if you can glimpse some helpful information:

DJI Forum|Downlink Video is severely unstable after upgrade to Sept 7,2015 firmware
Thanks for this I was only getting 2 beeps during the reading of the 1.5 firmware DD - DD - DD when I shut down I got the horrible very loud beep beep beep. (I read on here that it was a firmware failure error and would stop) it did in fact stop and the 1.6 firmware said it successfully installed. The Video then began cutting out and had lines across the screen it was very unstable and was also losing connection. I also read on here that for the video to work it had to be able to read the SD I tried 2 of them and they would not format my conclusion is that the micro SD reader is defective As always thanks for trying to help
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I purchased it at the end of July. B&H Has a special repair vendor that they send Drones to for repair located in New Jersey if it's over 30 days. I decided that if I absolutely had to send it back for repair it made more sense to send it back directly to DJI. I did not fly it very much and was surprised B&H was giving me such a hard time. I also bought a 2 year extended warranty from Square Trade through B&H but they also wanted to send it to a non DJI repair shop.

Phantom shells are cracking, the motors have been redesigned, batteries have voltage drops and several have fallen out of the sky.

I understand the challenges in this hobby but they were quick to take my money and now are driving me crazy instead of just replacing it. My holiday has come and gone and I have wasted weeks fighting over who is responsible. It's just ridiculous.

I will be suing all of them on Monday under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) Let their attorneys figure out who is responsible.

At this juncture I just want either a brand new one or a full refund which I believe is fair and reasonable. I am still really angry and at this point am not even sure that a brand new one is the route I should take. As I mentioned before perhaps I will just wait for a competitor to make a better version.

With DJI’s awful customer service when that happens the company will probably go Bankrupt anyway (grin).

This site is great and I have learned many things here all of you are masters. It's ashamed what has been happening to this hobby lately and it's ashamed that DJI customer service is still abysmal.

To be honest I am surprised that pilots on here have not already gotten together and filed a class action lawsuit against DJI because of all of the defective cracking shells. I would also be interested in learning why they changed the motors. Probably another design defect.

It's disappointing that my P3P is under warranty and even has an extended 2 year additional warranty and I just can't get any of them to take responsibility and replace it.

Well thanks as always for listening. Perhaps by tomorrow I will calm down but at this point that is probably highly unlikely.
The GoPro Karma may be worth the wait

Well I drafted the Summons and Complaint and was ready to commence litigation and file the papers in the morning and then the phone range. It was a representative from DJI. He was exrreamly polite, he appologized for their customer service and explained that with the quick growth they are working hard on improving their customer service. He then offered a brand new uint "If I still wanted it" I did hesitate for a moment but accepted his offer. We spoke about the poor experience and he mentioed that they are hiring as fast as they can and are aware of the customer service issues. I hung up and about 30 minutes later I recieved a call from a Customer Service Rep at B&H and he also offered a replacment. I explained that DJI had alredy shipped a replacement but was greatful for the call from B&H becuase it restored my faith that B&H really does care about its customer service and its customers.

So an upgrade to 1.5 brkcked the Phantom and it was returned. Then an upgrade to 1.6 killed the camera. When the next firmware upgrade comes out I think I am going to pass (huge grin)

Best of luck with the lawsuit.

I purchased a P2 Vision + back in April and during a flight in May, it just wandered off on its own. After a 90-mimute search I finally found the unit and it was damaged and needed repair. Contacted DJI (here in the U.S.) and they requested I send it in for repair, which I did. Although it was a software issue and DJI fixed it for free, (less the cost of shipping the unit back to them) the wait time of over 6-weeks was totally unacceptable.

When the P3 came out I decided to purchase it, hoping that DJI's past issues have been alleviated, needless to say, that has not been the case. Several weeks ago while filming a golf course in Florida, the P3 Pro unit decided to act up. After putting the unit into its hard shell case while heading to another location and then setting it up again, after I powered it up the camera stayed in a tilted down position and the all 4 motors lacked sufficient power to lift the unit off the ground.

When I returned home several days later I was getting a "gimbal overload error" and the software needed to be upgraded warning.

Followed the instructions, upgraded the firmware, did a complete IMU Calibration, then powered it up. While all 4 engines now have sufficient power, the camera remains in a down position.

I don't want to send it back for repairs but may not have any other choice.

I have dropped over $3,300,00 between the two units, batteries, cases, filters, etc and I am not very happy at all with DJI or their products!

I think it carries a one year warranty from DJI. You don't have a choice I think it needs to go back.

does 1.6 still suffer from tilted horizon issue? or is a manual gimbal roll adjust always needed

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl