Firmware update 3/26/14

neiloakley said:
How can I remove the new firmware from my BTU and go back to the old version?

You need the 1.8 assistant software.

UKKey said:
neiloakley said:
How can I remove the new firmware from my BTU and go back to the old version?

You need the 1.8 assistant software.

But the BTU firmware is updated via the 2.4hhz datalink assistant and a new version of that was not released this time round.

Well I've done it.

Basically fired up the 1.8 assistant. "Upgraded" anything that was mismatched.

Fired up RC assistant 1.8. "Upgraded" the RC (even though it didn't need it.)

And now I'm back flying happily on 1.8

All my software reports 1.8

No sign of "limits" function. I'm definitely back on 1.8

ladykate said:
Why do you want the Ground Station capability? The other features and improvements (real or imagined) seem great. I have the Ground Station on my latest project (which is not finished) but I'm wondering what I would use it for. Gimme a reason to complain like everyone else.

I find that I lose sight of my Phantom way to easily. In addition, even though I still seem to have control through the radio, my video seems to break down way to early, in terms of range. So I'm very interested in the GS so I can use it to fly BVR. I want to be able to pick out a route and have the Phantom fly that route without worrying about my connection. From what I have read the Phantom will fly its route no matter your connection once it has been programmed. With this type of functionality the Phantom will return and I'll have the video I wanted ready for editing.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:
ladykate said:
Why do you want the Ground Station capability?
In film making-if you can make repeatable flights, on an exact path and altitude
There are also uses for agriculture, search and rescue(assuming it shows the aircraft's lat/long), still photography, cartography, and property boundary security and survey.

So-I need to travel 2000M, beyond radio control, and the flight path must be within around 2.5M plus or minus in both altitude and path. That equates to about 15 minutes of flight time.

It's a very new market. And I believe in 6 months or a year, more and more uses will become apparent.

Thanks - I needed some context for all this. I think many will just implement it because they can... which is what I will probably do. I'm wondering how many of us are going to lose a Phantom and not know where to start looking? :shock:

That was the reason why I asked if the GS displayed current lat/long. Also-assume it's fairly accurate, then you would at least know the path at which to begin your search. However, the terrain my not be suitable for any kind of search. So, even if you know it's precise location-if it's on a mountain, that nobody has climbed-you're outta luck.

av8inglife said:
Updated the firmware yesterday and did my first 2 flights on it today. Appears to be good so far, no complaints and i tend to agree with the apparent "more stable" flight characteristics, however temperatures here are hovering over freezing so flying was sloppy as hands got cold fast.

I do have one question for others who have updated and flown... Has anyone noticed a tendency for the Phantom to drift about on some of the axis since the update?

Specifically;
1. Upon initial take-off and hover ( which I normally rise up around ~4 feet and hover there to put on goggles) I noticed the phantom slowly drifting back toward the right.
- initial guess is slight wind at the location (which was 4-8 mph)
2. Throttle inputs both positive and negative tend to be "spongy" at the end of the command. Throttle up continues to rise another foot or so, reverse for decel...tends to continue downwards another foot or so post stick command. I had to stop the drifts up and down with opposite control inputs a few times to keep spacing from objects above and below (earth, trees)
This occurred on initial hover and throughout both flights. I found myself constantly making throttle inputs up and down to keep it on the same plane of travel that it was placed on.
- now I understand physics and there is going to be some give there and there always has been. I just noticed it more on today's flights.
3. Yaw...well can't really say definitively it was drifting as my fingers were quite numb quick and I likely was adding control inputs with throttle modulation.
- more tests on this tomorrow with warmer temps and calm winds.

important info:
firmware - upgraded successfully
IMU calibration - basic and advanced
Compass Cal - Yes prior to both flights (different locations)
Standard P2 w/ Zenmuse setup and FPV blah blah blah

Sky conditions for flights
37 deg.F winds light 4-8mph steady out of the north west.

Final thoughts
- I may be wrong about some of these behaviors, but I did not notice these as much prior to update.
- behaviors were most notable during the second flight...more of a proximity type flight..in and around objects
-Yes this all can all be attributed to cold fingers or thinking something is happening when nothing really is since we pay attention to things more post firmware upgrade and I intend to snuff that out tomorrow when temps rise and more flights go up. Just curious on your experiences

So to report back on second day of testing. The issues I outlined previously (listed above) are still present.

Flight conditions yesterday were near perfect. Upper 50's with little to no wind. So the cold fingered bad flying scenario is out the window.

First flight was conducted in the middle of a field at a local reservoir. Standard precautions for flying site taken ( no power lines, antennae, that stuff in the area etc...).
Problems started early. Power up of Phantom provided me with Red Green Yellow alternating flashes of LED's. :? Wonderful, IMU calibration issue. This was strange because it was flown less than a day prior post update and calibrations. Whatever, no biggie, I brought my lap top along to diagnose issues on site. Performed both calibrations again (basic, advanced). Advanced cal got all pissy again and started complaining it was too hot to cal. :evil: Unplug...wait 10 min or so, restart the cal, same answer, it finishes finally after the 3rd or 4th cal attempt. Calibrated compass and decided to give it a shot.
-flight was conducted relatively low and within LOS as my step-son was wearing the goggles.
-initial take off and hover resulted in a large toilet bowl (around 8 ft in diameter) I believe CCW. Ok land re-calibrate compass. No toilet bowl but slight drift as noted in flying from previous day.
-Flew around, finished up the battery. Same unsettling behaviors noticed following first day fights after firmware update were present.
Important Note The phantom was controllable, it is just noticeably less stable about its axis and most important...didn't make me feel very comfortable.

Descents of any speed above a snails pace were plagued with wobbles and the usual sounds that come with that. No they were not conducted straight down. Most were initiated around 80 meters out straight in to me or in various zig-zag or spiral descents.

Second flight was conducted at a different location, one of the locations of the previous days flights.
-used the geo-fence feature to limit flight to 20m in altitude and 100m in lateral distance. Not really feeling comfortable with this thing anymore. No improvement in behavior.
-finished battery, went home and stewed about my acts

Review of the flight videos also showed some occasional horizon drift in the gimbal. where the hell did this come from all of a sudden. :evil:

I had not experienced any of these issues AT ALL in 1.08

Seriously considering figuring out how to revert to 1.08 I still have the old assistant installed.

Scully said:
Checked all configuration settings they were ok did not change them, only completed RC and compass calibration. Tested GS works fine with the current apple app. Completed a few test runs manually and with the GS nothing major all with in visibility can confirm joy sticks on iPad also work ok. (Note I did not update the BT module so it will work with the existing iPad App. Will update the BT once Apple releases the new app.)

Thanks for the information and the specifics about what you did!!

RickF said:
I find that I lose sight of my Phantom way to easily. In addition, even though I still seem to have control through the radio, my video seems to break down way to early, in terms of range. So I'm very interested in the GS so I can use it to fly BVR. I want to be able to pick out a route and have the Phantom fly that route without worrying about my connection. From what I have read the Phantom will fly its route no matter your connection once it has been programmed. With this type of functionality the Phantom will return and I'll have the video I wanted ready for editing.

I have no problems with video right now. I've tuned it in fairly well and it will operate well beyond visual range and I can see it (and get it back). Was chasing some Canadian Geese at about 6' off the water yesterday (they actually don't play 'chase' - they just swim over from the flight path and then close up after I pass). Had to use FPV to keep them in the field of view. I think FPV has many uses and I wouldn't want to substitute the GS for that (the biggest is targets of opportunity/framing like the Geese) - but the idea of duplicating a flight is interesting and, as was said, so new that we haven't figured out all the uses (including a substitute for FPV in some cases).

Hi, my first post in these forums. Bought a Phantom 2 + gimbal 3 weeks ago. Been having great fun and no real problems to report.

I updated the firmware this morning, only on the Phantom as the controller is still the same version right? Did calibrate controller though and all looked good.

I was demonstrating the Phantom 2 to a friend this afternoon when a rather unsettling thing happened. Flew it away some distance and then demonstrated the home lock feature before switching it back to normal and demonstrating failsafe. Worked like a charm, returning back to the takeoff location, hovering and then slowly descending. I then flipped back to GPS mode as I didn't want it to fully land only to discover that I had no control of movement on right stick, it just stayed in the same position. Tried back to failsafe and back again with no success. Kept the left stick in down position and is was slowly descending but not sure if this was still auto, waited for it to get to reaching distance before plucking it out of the sky and switched engines off (after a little longer delay than normal) using left stick.

Bit unnerved by the experience. Firmware or glitch?

Cheers

renidroc said:
I was demonstrating the Phantom 2 to a friend this afternoon when a rather unsettling thing happened. Flew it away some distance and then demonstrated the home lock feature before switching it back to normal and demonstrating failsafe. Worked like a charm, returning back to the takeoff location, hovering and then slowly descending. I then flipped back to GPS mode as I didn't want it to fully land only to discover that I had no control of movement on right stick, it just stayed in the same position. Tried back to failsafe and back again with no success. Kept the left stick in down position and is was slowly descending but not sure if this was still auto, waited for it to get to reaching distance before plucking it out of the sky and switched engines off (after a little longer delay than normal) using left stick.

Bit unnerved by the experience. Firmware or glitch?

Cheers

Since it seems to fail in a safe way (pun) - think you could go out and try to duplicate it only just go to fail safe and then drop to ATTI and then back to GPS to gain control? I know that when I'm demonstrating the airframe to my neighbors, I often get little issues that could be explained if I was alone and paying close attention.

UKKey said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
please let me know how it goes.

You Sir are a legend!

This has all but cured the drift. I have altered my other gains for smoother flight control from stick (Attitude) and quicker GPS control (Basic) but I kept the roll at 10% below the other figures and it has worked a treat.

The drift angle is very very small now and not noticeable. This will make an incredible difference to my videos where I was having to compensate with the controller in flight and then smooth edit out the drift/compensation in Final Cut Pro.

Thank you again!
minus a few more percent and see it eliminated glad I could help you

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
its number 7 in the release notes if you do not believe me

The bouncing that refers to is the known behavior of the Phantom trying to flog itself to death after an autoland by bouncing up and then slamming down hard again. Has nothing to do with the Phantom flipping over when you shut down the motors.

OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

The bouncing that refers to is the known behavior of the Phantom trying to flog itself to death after an auto land by bouncing up and then slamming down hard again. Has nothing to do with the Phantom flipping over when you shut down the motors.
I did not shut down the motors just landed it let the motors slow right down and it took of again and bounced and crashed this is what its referring too

Updated my P2Z at the weekend with the new firmware and managed to get out today to test. In short no issues and it flew perfectly as it has always done.

I left the geofence at defaults and after testing stable hover and CL, HL and RTH I took it out to 1600m @ 150m and back without issue. I can't say it handled any differently as mine always has a very stable hover.

All in all I am pleased but other than geofence I can't tell any difference.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

The bouncing that refers to is the known behavior of the Phantom trying to flog itself to death after an auto land by bouncing up and then slamming down hard again. Has nothing to do with the Phantom flipping over when you shut down the motors.
I did not shut down the motors just landed it let the motors slow right down and it took of again and bounced and crashed this is what its referring too
Let me see if I understand you correctly; you landed. Did you hold the throttle in the down position, for at least 5 seconds?
I'm curious as to the sequence of events, that led to your P2 taking off again, and crashing?
did it throttle up on it's own-while you were holding the throttle close. OR, did you release the throttle after it had idled down-but while the motors will still running, and it took off on it's own??

I always use the CSC procedure. I land, hold throttle closed, when the engines are at idle, I then move the throttle stick over to the bottom right(while holding it down), and move the left stick to the bottom left-both sticks down and towards each other.
This way-the engines stop immediately. It prevents a gust of wind, or even gravity, from tipping your aircraft over and damaging props. I learned this the hard way. Sometimes-waiting that 3+ seconds, with just the throttle closed, isn't quick enough.
Learn, and practice using the CSC(cross stick control)-before you take-off. Get used to how it works.....this will prevent a lot of problems.
Everyone has bad landings from time to time. But, even if the aircraft starts to tip over-if you do the CSC quick enough, the props will stop, and won't be damaged.

When I upgraded my P2, it did completed it just fine. However, when I plug it in again, it keeps telling me there's new software available to upgrade, which is just the 2.0 again... Not sure why it won't just tell me "no updates" after I already have the 2.0 on my P2.

arun21 said:
When I upgraded my P2, it did completed it just fine. However, when I plug it in again, it keeps telling me there's new software available to upgrade, which is just the 2.0 again... Not sure why it won't just tell me "no updates" after I already have the 2.0 on my P2.
This is the normal "nag" message that appears on all Naza versions. You just have to skip it each time you open it up.

In regards to tipping doing the CSC-never once had that happen. But, I've been doing it since I got the aircraft, and I know what I'm doing....your mileage may vary. There are times on landing, where the aircraft is about to tip over-and each time, I've gotten the engines completely stopped, just before the tip-saving the blades.
Do what you are comfortable with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24