Firmware update 3/26/14

mysticalice said:
havasuphoto said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Just upgraded to the newest firmware 3.0 all im getting now is a firmware miss match and un able to use software 2.0 this sucks dji suck thinking about sending theis back and getting my money back this should no way be this expensive at all £100 max
So, what you are saying is-you "bricked" your Phantom 2?!!!

I wouldn't blame him for that. When you plug a device in to get a firmware update and the manufacturer's firmware process fails, then it's not him that bricked it, it's the manufacturer.

FYI I have the same issue, I can't navigate to any page in the assistant software because of a 'firmware mismatch', but I can still fly my P2 just fine
I wasn't blaming anyone. It's a "figure of speech", not an accusation.

Here is what I've leaned about firmware over the years; if the aircraft is working just fine right now, leave it alone-you don't need to upgrade. IF, you are still having issues and you believe the latest firmware will address those issues, then upgrade.

Sometimes this firmware upgrades don't "take".....I've always found it's best to wait a week, and monitor the forum to decide if you need the upgrade or not.
I wish I had done this before upgrading my H3-2D-but that's a whole other issue.

havasuphoto said:

Here is what I've leaned about firmware over the years; if the aircraft is working just fine right now, leave it alone-you don't need to upgrade. IF, you are still having issues and you believe the latest firmware will address those issues, then upgrade.

Sometimes this firmware upgrades don't "take".....I've always found it's best to wait a week, and monitor the forum to decide if you need the upgrade or not.
I wish I had done this before upgrading my H3-2D-but that's a whole other issue.

I concur with this.

It's like at my day job in IT - I will never install an update from any developer until it's been thoroughly tested in various business applications. Windows and VMware updates are the worst. It seems DJI updates are, unfortunately, following suit.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

havasuphoto said:
Here is what I've leaned about firmware over the years; if the aircraft is working just fine right now, leave it alone-you don't need to upgrade.

Sometimes these firmware upgrades don't "take".....I've always found it's best to wait a week, and monitor the forum to decide if you need the upgrade or not.

I have been agonizing over these latest upgrades since they were announced. And, I've been thinking that as long as MY machine is working as advertised, not flying away, not crashing, taking fine (for MY use) pictures and videos, and all around pleasing the heck out of me (and my non-quad friends), why bother...

Thanks havasuphoto, for offering up what I call good advice! I haven't upgraded anything since the famous camera upgrade (which I ALSO did not upgrade).

And now every time I fire up my Moto Razr Maxx I get a notice saying my DJI app needs to be upgraded. I can no longer hit the [upgrade all] key. CRAP! :lol:

I've never actually done a firmware update so I just need some clarification. Am I correct in thinking that the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08" actually has the 1.08 firmware included within the assistant software or is it a separate download ?

Karl666 said:
I've never actually done a firmware update so I just need some clarification. Am I correct in thinking that the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant_1.08" actually has the 1.08 firmware included within the assistant software or is it a separate download ?
Separate download. The software you download and install on your computer, is the assistant. The firmware is downloaded through the assistant, when you request it.
You will always get a "nag screen" each time you open the assistant-even though you may be on the most current firmware version.
I really don't see an issue with updating to 2.0. BUT-like I said before; if you don't have any issues, leave it alone.

Thanks for that. I plan on keeping 1.08 since I'm just on the 1.5 mile border. Was looking for the firmware I already have installed just in case I need to reload it in future. Any idea if it's still available anywhere ?

Karl666 said:
Thanks for that. I plan on keeping 1.08 since I'm just on the 1.5 mile border. Was looking for the firmware I already have installed just in case I need to reload it in future. Any idea if it's still available anywhere ?
No clue.

Madkeen said:
The added maximum height and radius limits bother me. I fly mainly in Vietnam and there is no maximum height issues. If I update will I only be able to fly to a maximum of 400feet ???? Or does that only apply to flying in the USA with the ground station???

I take a lot of footage at 400 to 600 feet. Would not like to loose this function, but I want the ground station.

From what I've heard the distance limitations can be set up to 1,000,000 meters..... is that true??? i don't know? can anyone confirm?
I do a lot of aerial snowboarding shots deep in the mountains and find these limitations on distance and height to be a royal pain in the a$$

Kelso Kubat said:
Madkeen said:
The added maximum height and radius limits bother me. I fly mainly in Vietnam and there is no maximum height issues. If I update will I only be able to fly to a maximum of 400feet ???? Or does that only apply to flying in the USA with the ground station???

I take a lot of footage at 400 to 600 feet. Would not like to loose this function, but I want the ground station.

From what I've heard the distance limitations can be set up to 1,000,000 meters..... is that true??? i don't know? can anyone confirm?
I do a lot of aerial snowboarding shots deep in the mountains and find these limitations on distance and height to be a royal pain in the a$$
it depends on what limitations your talking about. There is a "geo-fence", I believe it was implemented in firmware 2.0. You can set this to whatever you want, in Naza-M mode.
What's handy about that feature, that I like, is the ability to set a max altitude, and not have to worry about holding my altitude anymore. Say 30M, and call it good-it will stop climbing automatically when it reaches that altitude.

But, in "Phantom 2" mode, there are some limitation-and I believe they are spelled out in the Assistant software pages.
As for the height limitation-you probably don't wanna upgrade to 3.0. I understand there is a height limitation of around 400 feet or so, that you can't over ride. But, that is the height above your take-off point. I can see you needing to go higher to clear mountains.
The solution is to go too the top of the mountain, then you're just going down ;)

Fink said:
havasuphoto said:

I concur with this.

It's like at my day job in IT - I will never install an update from any developer until it's been thoroughly tested in various business applications. Windows and VMware updates are the worst. It seems DJI updates are, unfortunately, following suit.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Best practice in IT is to immediately update BIOS, drivers, etc. when you get a new product.

mysticalice said:
Fink said:
havasuphoto said:

I concur with this.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Best practice in IT is to immediately update BIOS, drivers, etc. when you get a new product.
Shirley you can't be serious :lol:

I have BIOS' that are older than some of our members.......LOL
I never update that!!! Now Windows-that's kind of a different story. Depends....

I just checked what I downloaded when I decided to get the P2...I have RC Assistant 1.1, and Phantom 2 Assistant 2.0.
My hope is that my Phantom2, when it arrives, will have version 2.00 firmware...fingers crossed!!! I'm glad I downloaded those when I did.....dunno if they're even available anymore. But, the firmware will be in the Naza...so I'll just have to see when it gets here.

mysticalice said:

I have to respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree! I, too, hope you're kidding.

If you get a new product and everything is working normally, there is generally zero need to update drivers. I don't even mess with BIOS updates unless we're talking server-level equipment and even then I only do it if I have a need for something contained in the update. If you get a new product and it's not working normally, either return it or let the manufacturer fix it for you.

Driver updates are by far the worst thing in the IT world - that and software patching. Example is a network driver that HP release for their 6200/6300 Pro series of Business Desktops. As soon as the driver updated and the PC rebooted, the gigabit NICs were rendered nearly useless. We were getting speeds no faster than 180Kbps on our gigabit LAN with a mixture of SSDs and 7200rpm HDDs. Truly nuts. Had to roll all 150 of them back to the original driver that came with the PC and we haven't looked back.

If you're joking - then good for you! Good one!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

No doubt, DJI product managers didn't anticipate such a huge backlash with the new "features."

When DJI Michael says "For flight safety..." without GPS signaly the height limit is 394 feet, I'm curious why this "feature" is in place. The only reason I can think of is to prevent anyone from flying above 400 feet when they have deliberately disabled their GPS. Am I missing something here?

So if someone does not have GPS in a valley and flies in Attitude mode, I guess they cannot ascend up the hills/mountains since the new "feature" effectively levels them off at 394 feet about their relative takeoff altitude.

One wonders if the restriction software algorithm is a slow linear taper, or suddenly restricts height. If an FPV pilot is simultaneously ascending and flying forward up a mountain (perhaps skimming the treeline) and then the copter abruptly restricts its altitude, it would seem there are going to be some future crashes into the earth or trees

havasuphoto said:
AnselA said:
Has anybody tested if V3.0 firmware & vision app support wireless transfer of DNG files?
Didn't know this firmware was for the Vision??

They both have the same guts so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be?

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Upgrading to V2.0 and not V3.0

I have V1.08 and loaded up the V2 assist. It looks like it is still trying to grab V2 and not V3.

Attachments

• Assist 2.png
    Assist 2.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 415
With the firmware update comes a updated assistant software. So you upgrade assis first then copter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to upgrade to v2.0 (not v3.0) using the V2 assist software.
See image for before and after. It looks like I would be able to downgrade to v1.08 as well, though the main board doesn't offer downgrade option.

Attachments

• Upgrade V1.08 to V2.png
    Upgrade V1.08 to V2.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 358
What are you trying to do up/ down grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures