Finally flew out over 3 miles...

Wth is this the forum police?! I mean if you wanna be technical then yes. But you can't legitimately tell me that you have NEVER flown outside your vlos. And if you truly haven't then maybe you should live life a little.
Don't let the self righteous guys bother you. Over half of this form flies beyond VLOS all the time, but they do it safely by the most part, minimizing risk as best possible. In your case on the farm there's very little risk, versus others taking more risk in town. I'm still itching to setup a Litchi autonomous flight that loses connection with the RC, flying behind a mountain to capture a secluded lighthouse, then coming back. Although this flight would be 100% over water, and 2 miles away, it's still something I've never tried to do, but intend too in the next couple of months. This will help me really grasp the capabilities of Litchi in unique situations. I've use Litchi a year now, never had an issue, it's been pretty reliable. However, I've never flown far away, enough to disconnect the control link during a waypoint mission, and then wait for it to return to reconnect later. DirtyBird does this all the time, he's the master.

There's only like 5 rules the FAA asks that you must follow. And even that is still too many for some of you. It's incredible.

Who's set of laws do you care more about? What "half the forum" (of obviously uneducated and or naive and uninformed) remote pilots believe... or those set in place by the folks who's job it is to actually keep the skies safe?

I'm glad the thought of others breaking the law gives you the confidence to do as you please, and make up whatever rules you feel are necessary as you go. But that still doesn't change the fact that it is illegal, and reckless.

There's only like 5 rules the FAA asks that you must follow. And even that is still too many for some of you. It's incredible.

Who's set of laws do you care more about? What "half the forum" (of obviously uneducated and or naive and uninformed) remote pilots believe... or those set in place by the folks who's job it is to actually keep the skies safe?

I'm glad the thought of others breaking the law gives you the confidence to do as you please, and make up whatever rules you feel are necessary as you go. But that still doesn't change the fact that it is illegal, and reckless.

Nonsense, as long as I'm staying under 400ft and the "real pilots" stay above 500ft. (Which most do except take-off and landings) there's never going to be a problem

I'm not worried about the dude. I mean, if life is so vague that it's come down to that, all I can say is get out, live and get a new life. Lol! I always fly with the go app. Honestly it seems like every time I fly I have my aircraft disconnect at least twice. I'm sure it's due to the large density of pine trees here. They have hundreds of thousands of acres that a cpl big time paper companies own. Having your aircraft disconnect during flight is slightly gut wrenching for me even though I always make sure I have my home point recorded and everything set up for it to come back home by itself.
Have ago with litchi ,i used to get rth all the time(annoying) i only had 1 rth since,still fly djigo4 now and again but mainly litchi,pretty stable for a 3rd party app :)

Nonsense, as long as I'm staying under 400ft and the "real pilots" stay above 500ft. (Which most do except take-off and landings) there's never going to be a problem
Because manned aircraft never fly lower than 400 feet agl...........

I'm asking this question to increase my knowledge and not to stir up a debate. I've never been able to get a straight answer. It's said there is a 400' rule that we have to follow. What is the penalty for not doing that? Like speeding, if the speed limit is 65 and a person gets pulled over for doing 80. The fine is "x" number of dollars. What is the fine for exceeding 400'?

I'm asking this question to increase my knowledge and not to stir up a debate. I've never been able to get a straight answer. It's said there is a 400' rule that we have to follow. What is the penalty for not doing that? Like speeding, if the speed limit is 65 and a person gets pulled over for doing 80. The fine is "x" number of dollars. What is the fine for exceeding 400'?
Good question,should be good,,,,my 2 cents i think it more of a safety thing not to exced 400ft ,gezz if i ran into a plane the result not goin to be good for anyone,imagine if a plane came down bacause of drone strike,we all be gone,im not far from airport and man do they come past low ,have had close calls to because of this,and nearly fly by the book(guidelines),,i can fly higher than120mtrs but haveto contact CAA to keep it legal,its also controlled airspace and have to have authorization from air traffic control unit responsible for that airspace,,:)

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
I was flying Friday @ 150' or less and went out 13,000 ft and turned around and about half way back a helicopter blew by me @ about 1000 ft up I seen him heading my way but I was where I was supposed to be and so was he, but if I was up higher I'd never be able to get out of the way fast enough,I reviewed the video when I got home we were parallel with one another and he was in the video for about 5 seconds then flew outa sight.
You can see a plane or copter a few miles away but you can only see your copter 1000' maybe on a good day, keep that in mind.

There is little risk of fines if you use common sense, because they these are "guidelines", they are not law or regulation for hobbyists. Few have been fined for exceeding this 400' guideline yet. The guidelines however should be taken very seriously. You should follow the guidelines for good reason, to minimize risk of damage, injury or death to others. Anyone that doesn't follow the FAA guidelines is taking added risk that they will be responsible for if an incident occurs. You will be tracked down, count on it.

Myself, I fly beyond VLOS all the time, but I only do this in areas I feel very safe, typically low AGL elevations, remote mountains, ocean, hills, etc. There are certain areas I like to go hunting for animals. I call it "view and release", similar to "catch and release" for fishing. In these cases I'm almost always beyond VLOS, but typically 30' AGL, like the deer catch below...

Last edited:
Bro I regularly go long distance flights with my mavic! My average flight distance is 3km out and record distance is little over 5 km... My regular flight path isn't over water but in a semi populated area at the cruise altitude of 120 meters. Each time I had 3 or 4 bars of signal and no image drops but the battery wasn't allowing me to go further so after 5 km I chicken out and return the bird home... I think P4P is pretty amazing with it's nice camera but I always go with mavic at the end of the day! Occusync is just superior...

So if you're not following the FAA, which community-based organization (CBO) are you apart of, and can you go ahead and list their rules here for us to see? And also, while youre at it don't forget it's not just the FAA or CBO you need to be following. You also need to be aware of and follow all local and state laws with rergards to UAS.

Nobody has been fined?? Here A list of fines handed down from the FAA to remote pilots. Read through and you will see people who have been fined for "flying @ 575ft agl", and also for flying beyond VLOS.

FAA Drone Fines

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
And the scary thing about these fines is they weren't all caught in the act. A lot of them are post-dated and combined offences from previous flights. So just because you packed up your gear and got out of dodge scott free, doesn't necessarily mean you got away with it. All of your flight info can and will be reviewed and critiqued.

Reactions: JJErrico
And the scary thing about these fines is they weren't all caught in the act. A lot of them are post-dated and combined offences from previous flights. So just because you packed up your gear and got out of dodge scott free, doesn't necessarily mean you got away with it. All of your flight info can and will be reviewed and critiqued.
Having read through a few of those I would have to say anyone who would like to contest those fines or allegations would have a very good chance of having any and all fines dropped.......even the first one.....all information is speculation only as written.

Not trying to add to a **** storm here, just the facts.

Just because charges a levied does not assume guilt of a crime unless you admit to it. The crime STILL has to be proved by more then a "he said, she said".

Having read through a few of those I would have to say anyone who would like to contest those fines or allegations would have a very good chance of having any and all fines dropped.......even the first one.....all information is speculation only as written.

Not trying to add to a $&@$ storm here, just the facts.

Just because charges a levied does not assume guilt of a crime unless you admit to it. The crime STILL has to be proved by more then a "he said, she said".

I guess people on this forum are so caught up in the bragging rights they don't realize that they admitted to overflying VLOS. Would not take and FAA Inspector much time at all to log on to this and other forums and simply go after those bragging and admitting violations of policy.

AND by the way, you don't have to admit to a violation to found guilty of a violation. Also are you an Aviation Attorney? OR are you simply guessing?

If you are an Aviation Attorney how about posting your cred here so we have someone to turn to if and when the FAA decides to call? That would be great!

Nope, not laying claim to either.....reread the post.

I also did not say I fly beyond VLOS......

But I can see that's important to You! So I'll yield to your obvious advanced wisdom and knowledge in I'm sure every aspect of life.

Please post up other bits of wisdom so we may all follow !!

Nope, not laying claim to either.....reread the post.

I also did not say I fly beyond VLOS......

But I can see that's important to You! So I'll yield to your obvious advanced wisdom and knowledge in I'm sure every aspect of life.

Please post up other bits of wisdom so we may all follow !!

Ok how about I am a US Military Drone Pilot (Ret) I first flew drones as RCMAT (Remote Control Aerial Targets) for the Vulcan Anti Aircraft Crews, back in the late 1980s.

I am FAR Part 107 Certified of course.

I am also a current Corporate Pilot ATP, I also hold a CFI, CFII, and CFIMEI, (Google if you don't know what those stand for) and I taught flight instruction back in the 90s to over 75 (now) captains for over 9 different airlines. I also currently serve as Captain on a Citation 560xls+ with 5 other Turbine and TurboJet Type Ratings. Finally I have dealt with the FAA all my life from certification to random ramp checks, again google is your friend here.

Also, my post was not so much directed at only you but the entire group. JUST as a simple reminder to be CAREFUL what you post because you cannot tell who might be visiting this page.

Do what you want.

If people wish to continue along those lines more power to them. Sounds FUN in fact. Not the fun police here. Just wanting all and everyone to stay out of trouble.

FSDO's are rapidly developing UAS departments with resources dedicated to do nothing but enforce soon to be enacted regulations for those of us in the UAS community.

Last edited:
Ok how about I am a US Military Drone Pilot (Ret) I first flew drones as RCMAT (Remote Control Aerial Targets) for the Vulcan Anti Aircraft Crews, back in the late 1980s.

I am FAR Part 107 Certified of course.

I am also a current Corporate Pilot ATP, I also hold a CFI, CFII, and CFIMEI, (Google if you don't know what those stand for) and I taught flight instruction back in the 90s to over 75 (now) captains for over 9 different airlines. I also currently serve as Captain on a Citation 560xls+ with 5 other Turbine and TurboJet Type Ratings. Finally I have dealt with the FAA all my life from certification to random ramp checks, again google is your friend here.

Also, my post was not so much directed at only you but the entire group. JUST as a simple reminder to be CAREFUL what you post because you cannot tell who might be visiting this page.

Do what you want.

If people wish to continue along those lines more power to them. Sounds FUN in fact. Not the fun police here. Just wanting all and everyone to stay out of trouble.

FSDO's are rapidly developing UAS departments with resources dedicated to do nothing but enforce soon to be enacted regulations for those of us in the UAS community.

Good for you and thanks for your service !!

I agree, we ALL need to be careful.

Both in what we post and what we do.

One of the most important things we can do to benefit all (IMHO) is to not pontificate , brings out the worst in everyone.

Reactions: Chopperimage

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT