Finally flew out over 3 miles...

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time that I flew out over 3 miles (16137'). It was over water so I didn't have any interference. I pretty much had full signal but the battery was down to 58% so I turned back. Altitude for the entire flight was less than 300' I have to say, it's a good feeling seeing the bird come back after it's been out that far!

IMG_1415.png

Be careful that long range stuff can be addictive :)

I was recording during most of the flight out and didn't go straight a few times. I'm going fly out there again with the sole purpose of seeing how far I can go. It's an open area with no obstructions. I took off over a mile back, flew out to the houses you see in the middle right of the picture then a little past the island that has a bunch of trees on it in the upper middle of the pic. Next time I'll head straight up the river.

DJI_0361.jpg

Reactions: Acabral886
Yesterday was the first time that I flew out over 3 miles (16137'). It was over water so I didn't have any interference. I pretty much had full signal but the battery was down to 58% so I turned back. Altitude for the entire flight was less than 300' I have to say, it's a good feeling seeing the bird come back after it's been out that far!

View attachment 86750
Yessir! My max is 11,400 (on 5.8). I live in a busy area. 2 miles is far enough for me. I was crapping bricks after 1 mile! :) The only reason I had the courage to go further is because my brother had his Mavic up too and he was showing off with over 15,000ft.. Mavics seem to stay hooked up pretty well. That Ocusync should be on every DJI drone.[/QUOTE]

HI MassGuy,

Can you elaborate please, were you on 2.4 the complete trip, stock antenna , did you have pretty clear line of sight for the flight? I usually have better connections with the 5.8 and have not been able to break the 10,000 ft mark. I appreciate your info!

HI MassGuy,

Can you elaborate please, were you on 2.4 the complete trip, stock antenna , did you have pretty clear line of sight for the flight? I usually have better connections with the 5.8 and have not been able to break the 10,000 ft mark. I appreciate your info!

I usually only use 5.8ghz. For my area it seems to work better than2.4ghz. I think many people could go further if they used the radar indicator on the DJIGo application. Once I learned how to "point" my antennas in the correct direction; my range improved significantly. :)

I was at the beach parking lot. This is located in Westport, MA

DJI_0375.JPG

Looking the other way is where I flew -
DJI_0373.JPG

I didn't really notice if I was on 2.4 or 5.8 but I don't recall seeing 5.8 at all. I'll pay attention to that the next time I fly this route. All of my equipment is stock. The line of sight was fairly clear. No interference between me and the bird. Surprisingly I wasn't worried at all. It just kept going with no problem.

Found a nice area in South Jersey. Went four miles and turned around. Got the battery warning just moments after turning around. Still had 16% when I landed. Nice little run.

Reactions: MassGuy
I was at the beach parking lot. This is located in Westport, MA

View attachment 86790

Looking the other way is where I flew -
View attachment 86791

I didn't really notice if I was on 2.4 or 5.8 but I don't recall seeing 5.8 at all. I'll pay attention to that the next time I fly this route. All of my equipment is stock. The line of sight was fairly clear. No interference between me and the bird. Surprisingly I wasn't worried at all. It just kept going with no problem.
Cool shot here man! Love the design in the weeds! What caused that I wonder?

MassGuy sorry one more question....you mentioned something about correctly pointing your antennas....can you please explain this? I keep mine parallel to each other .....is there a method of pointing them for better connection? thanks again for the info!

MassGuy sorry one more question....you mentioned something about correctly pointing your antennas....can you please explain this? I keep mine parallel to each other .....is there a method of pointing them for better connection? thanks again for the info!

That was JetLife. I'm wondering if there is something I don't know about too.

I usually only use 5.8ghz. For my area it seems to work better than2.4ghz. I think many people could go further if they used the radar indicator on the DJIGo application. Once I learned how to "point" my antennas in the correct direction; my range improved significantly. :)

I was recording during most of the flight out and didn't go straight a few times. I'm going fly out there again with the sole purpose of seeing how far I can go. It's an open area with no obstructions. I took off over a mile back, flew out to the houses you see in the middle right of the picture then a little past the island that has a bunch of trees on it in the upper middle of the pic. Next time I'll head straight up the river.

View attachment 86760
Try course lock to keep in a perfectly straight line...

Thanks, i never thought about useing the radar indicator.

That was JetLife. I'm wondering if there is something I don't know about too.
I was just talking about making sure "I" was pointing my radio in the right direction. When I first started flying; I would always return home from a direction I wasn't expecting to come from. I just learned and learned how to use the radar on the Go app.

Reactions: go fast
Generally speaking, anything between the controller and aircraft can attenuate the signal. This is more significant the greater the distance between them. This includes your body if it returns from behind or off to the side of you.

Keep the antennas vertical or a few degrees upward (tips back or towards you) so as to radiate upwards slightly. Do not point the tips at or towards to aircraft as that is the least effective in terms of radiation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT