Finally! Big Big News!

It would seem not based on only on this......"Those owners who already have registered in the legacy system do not have to re-register in the new system."

No, this new registration is for commercial use. It replaces the old paper system.

No, this new registration is for commercial use. It replaces the old paper system.
Exactly!

So now I can legally make money off drone work, without applying for a 333 exemption or having a pilot license, correct?

I feel like the importance of this is being extremely downplayed.

I don't think so.

It states you have to register via paper still if you intend to do commercial and get 333. If I read the requirements correctly.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:

• Your Aircraft weighs more than 55 lbs
  • You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States
  • Your aircraft is owned by a trustee
  • The aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
  • You are required by a Section 333 Exemption or a certificate of waiver or authorization
Unless that is for over 55 lbs only.

Yet it still says.....
What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate

Last edited:
You still need a pilots license for non-hobby.

From the FAQ:
"Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver's license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Basically, all this does is it gives current Section 333 Exemption owners a registration number just like we have got. It isn't a replacement for the S333, at least not yet. :(

Exactly!

So now I can legally make money off drone work, without applying for a 333 exemption or having a pilot license, correct?

I feel like the importance of this is being extremely downplayed.

As stated previously NO! The only change here is the ability for Commercial Operators who are operating within the current regulations to use the Electronic Registration as opposed to the very cumbersome and tricky paper system. If I were not flying under a Section 333 Exemption I would not register my aircraft as a commercial operation. That's opening a whole new can of worms for yourself as well as putting yourself on the RADAR and under a magnifying glass. That's purely IMHO and not legal advice.

hmm. Do we know when the new commercial regulators will come out?

I registered online, You are prompted to select: Model aircraft (hobby only) or Non-model Aircraft (commercial).
I selected commercial even if I'm not flying commercially, thinking that sometimes in the future I might fly commercially. I'll try to learn about 333 soon and apply myself. At the moment I have no need for commercial flights, was it a mistake to register it as a commercial drone?

I learned to fly over the years but never got a pilots license. Now in my fifties, I'm not so sure I would pass a medical so I could go back and get my license. So if I can't pass a medical, does that mean I could never do commercial drone work?

Also, can a drone operator partner with a licensed pilot to do work?

I learned to fly over the years but never got a pilots license. Now in my fifties, I'm not so sure I would pass a medical so I could go back and get my license. So if I can't pass a medical, does that mean I could never do commercial drone work?

Also, can a drone operator partner with a licensed pilot to do work?

Yes, you can hold a Section 333 permit without having a pilot license yourself, and then hire a licensed pilot to do the actual flying. (I know, PITA.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl