Fee for commercial license?

Reaction score
Is there a fee to acquire a commercial drone pilot license? I am aware of the $5 fee to register the drone and the $150 to take the exam but I also saw a thread on this forum that mentions a $4,000 fee. I can not find a reference to that fee anywhere to include the FAA web site. Thanks.

Fees are only for Registration and taking the test. That's on a Federal level. Your state may require some additional certifications.

no, there is no $4,000 fee to obtain your sUAS license from the FAA.

Reactions: Falcon900
If your a licensed pilot under 14 CFR Part 61, you don't need to take the written test. The FAA had an online training site you can take and the you may apply for your remote pilots license.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Fees are only for commercial registration of the drone you will use and taking the FAA test: $5 + $150. That's all.

BTW recertification is required every two years.

ATP, CFII, MEI, RPO
Part 121, 135, and 91 Corporate Pilot
30 years of exploration.

Reactions: BigAl07
Fees are only for Registration and taking the test. That's on a Federal level. Your state may require some additional certifications.
What state charges other fees? I'm pretty sure state law can't require an extra license or fee to fly in their state. Would be similar to Nevada requiring someone with a CA driver's license to pay a fee to drive through that state. Crazy Talk!!! LOL

What state charges other fees? I'm pretty sure state law can't require an extra license or fee to fly in their state. Would be similar to Nevada requiring someone with a CA driver's license to pay a fee to drive through that state. Crazy Talk!!! LOL

It's perfectly legal for a state to require a state issued "Permit". There is no fee it's just a knowledge test and then once you pass that you have to prove you have the FAA commercial credentials to get issued the permit. The FAA even states many times to "Check local and state laws as they may require additional permits for commercial operations".

Crazy Talk???

Unless I misunderstood your use of the word 'fees', here's Illinois':

Pilot Registration

There are exceptions/exemptions but you get the idea.

Since one [state] is enough to make the point, I did not look further.

Crazy Talk???

Unless I misunderstood your use of the word 'fees', here's Illinois':

Pilot Registration

There are exceptions/exemptions but you get the idea.

Since one [state] is enough to make the point, I did not look further.

And you can see that it applies to Part 61 pilots.

"no person shall engage in the operation of aircraft in Illinois unless current and qualified under 14 CFR 61,"

Still haven't found anything that relates to flying a UAV and having to pay a "tax/fee" for that privilege.
Unless you are referring to a city or county or state fee to operate a vehicle for commercial purposes. Like a taxi pays a fee to a city to operate in that particular city. But I haven't heard of that either.

Probably too early in introduction of 107 to say that will remain. Even FAA docs are still being updated.

Once commerce is involved in an operation taxation soon follows.

I have no first hand knowledge on the $4,000 issue, but one day clicking around on this site, I remember someone with a lot of information stating that it might cost you this kind of money to obtain a filming license, parking permits in certain cities or counties...my first thought was what job is going to justify this kind of additional expense also.

It's also possible the $4000 post was referring to a time before 107, when you had to have a "real" pilot's license in order to fly a UAS commercially. Although, that's pretty low for even a sport pilot IME.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl