FC40 and a Walkera G2D Gimbal

The clearest explanation I found of the NAZA calibration process was in "How to Fit Gimbal Tilt Control Lever to Phantom Transmitter Controller TX", a video by Marionville Hobbies (UK) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f33X7N7MiE

I used the procedure in the video to install a Walkera G-2D on my FC40 and calibrate the tilt lever. Prior to the installation, I was trying to imagine how the control lever's tiny arc of adjustment would translate to the gimbal's full range of motion. Of course, once you understand how NAZA calibration works, the answer is obvious. But for NAZA noobies who are trying to learn what to anticipate, I'd like to offer a few pointers.

1) Prior to calibration in NAZA, my gimbal pointed straight up and did not respond to the lever at all, as described in many forums. You MUST calibrate the gimbal in NAZA before it will function.

2) After you have completed the calibration procedure, the lever's limited range of physical motion is seen in NAZA as the FULL RANGE of the gimbal. So, after you calibrate and click "Finish", moving the lever from side to side will move the gimbal through its full range of motion.

3) On my installation the "Center" setting on the Gimbal screen had no effect. But I was able to set the gimbal's center position by returning to the calibration screen, recalibrating, and then moving the cursor one unit (or as needed) in the required direction before clicking "Finish".

4) After calibration, the upper and lower limits of travel can be set by trial and error in the gimbal window without disturbing the calibration.

5) The few instruction videos I found for using the OEM FC40 camera on a gimbal mentioned the need to match the weight of the GoPro3 for which most gimbals are made. A GoPro3 weighs 78g, while the OEM camera weighs only 38g. Using Velcro, I attached a 9v battery (with the terminals snipped off and wrapped in electrical tape) to the right side of the bracket (facing the front of the FC40), with the camera flush with it on the left and hanging off slightly. At a little more than 40g, the battery was the correct weight and width to provide an almost perfect balance. The gimbal now works great!

The picture shows my Walkera G-2D installation. I used 8.5 mm thick slices of PVC plumbing pipe, attached with nylon straps, to improve ground clearance. They're very rigid and light in weight, and I did not have to fiddle with the compass sensor.

Attachments

• _P1010435a.jpg
    _P1010435a.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2,078
dragonash said:
FC40 Pilot said:
dragonash said:
you need to use all 3 wires. Just one wont work for some reason.

Also, you will have to play with the numbers for pitch (Max/Center/Min)

There are no set numbers that work. The gimbal is really finicky and even when it does work, its more along the lines of having a little movement on the stick making the pitch move A LOT or a lot of movement on the stick making the pitch move a little.

BTW, I'm using the 3Axis walkera gimbal now. Same deal.

Also in the naza assistant:
Under Basic > RC > you need to calibrate the X1 stick

For pitch you only need one wire as explained

im telling you, these crappy walkera gimbals are finicky. Mine and a few others would not work with just one wire for some reason.

Could be different controller boards. There just isnt good QA on these things

This this this. Using only the single pitch wire means you ONLY use a single wire. Other than that, you have to use all three. The benefit though is that you don't have to use the power line or en external battery.

After a few hours of hit and miss, I found the right setup. I installed a mini toggle switch on the gimbal for the power , it's very easy to flip the switch after you do the compas dance. If you leave the power connected the gimbal has a fit. :eek:

I used a single white wire connected to the Naza and ran it to the tilt connection on the controller.
Then went into the assistant program and turned on the gimbal and calibrated the tilt lever.
I am using a SJ4000 which is lighter than a GoPro . When I attached the camera it tilted to the left. The Walkera gimbal is setup for the weight of the GoPro,so I had to balance the camera so it sat level on the mount without the power on. I used a couple coins and sticky tape. My first video was full of jello . After balancing the camera I'm jello free. Seems like the gimbal had to work overtime trying to keep up.
I am using the new DJI radio controller with the tilt wheel on the side,works great. The tilt wheel is center sprung.
On the side of the gimbal controller there is a little slide switch,if I slide it one way and tilt the wheel up the camera moves up then back to center,move the switch the other way and move the wheel and the camera stays in that position until I move it back. I found that by accident

Here is a quick test video of the Walkera and SJ4000 camera after balancing the camera so it would sit level on the gimbal with the power off.

[youtube] http://youtu.be/n3VrS98s9Pg[/youtube]

I just got my g2d installed today. I've got the white plastic model, it looks sharp on the phantom. I've got a cable that plugs into the power on the gimbal and plugs into the main battery on the aux plug. I've got it run inside and comes out one of the back legs. For what it's worth, my pitch control seems fine with a single cable, I'm not sure why it's good on some that way and not others.
The pitch control is really touchy. I've adjusted it in naza so it only goes from just a tick below level to a bit above straight down, it helped a bit but it's still crazy touchy.

I finally got the bird up with the new gimbal. It's been nasty weather for quite a while, so I was happy for a nice day.

http://youtu.be/LSTBcEgQzwU

Here's how I have it setup

I ran the cables all inside the phantom, and it looks very clean. I can also disconnect the power and pitch cable easily.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617001.467373.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617001.467373.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 771
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617018.966826.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617018.966826.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 772
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617039.033559.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425617039.033559.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 736
Nice, I installed a micro toggle switch for the gimbal power line. The gimbal hates the compas dance or any extra movement. I arm the motors to check for any problems, then shut them off,hit the record button and flip the gimbal switch then off she goes.

I have a disconnect on it, so I just unplug it right where it comes out the leg. Either solution should work for that. I haven't wandered away from home yet and haven't done a compass dance with the gimbal yet.

One of the main things I did figure out on my install that is not mentioned in this post is there are two different assistant systems.
To calibrate the Gimbal, you must use the latest "DJI RC System Assistant" and not the "DJI NAZAM Assistant".

That would have made it easier for me in the beginning.

I love my FC40 and the Walkera G2D Gimbal!!!

Pentaxfan said:
One of the main things I did figure out on my install that is not mentioned in this post is there are two different assistant systems.
To calibrate the Gimbal, you must use the latest "DJI RC System Assistant" and not the "DJI NAZAM Assistant".

That would have made it easier for me in the beginning.

I love my FC40 and the Walkera G2D Gimbal!!!

Are you saying you're using the rc asst to connect to the gimbal itself? The zazam asst connects to the fc40 perfectly fine. I thought the rc asst was for connecting to the remote control.

What can you actually do with calibrating the gimbal? I was able to do everything I needed with the nazam asst. you can use the v1 and v2 dials, so I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

It seemed that I had better initial setting and control to start the Gimbal Calibration then switched to the NAZAM Assistant to do the range/swing of the gimbal.
But that is only what I found in my experience and it sounds like there are many different experiences with the FC40 and the G2D Gimbal.
Thanks!

I guess I'm confused as to what your doing with the rc asst, all I can see that it does is connect to the controller. I'm not sure what you're doing with it.

With mine, I had to use the RC Assist to activate the Gimbal.
That is all.
Hope this wasn't too confusing

I used assist to turn on the gimbal then calibrate the tilt wheel.

I'd forgotten that I had installed the cheap goodluckbuy gimbal a while back, and quit using it because it kinda sucked (and weighed a ton). I think I hooked up my controller to rc asst then. I'd forgotten that I had done that, I didn't have to do it this time.

Where is a good cheap place to buy the plastic version in the u.s.? Anyone know? Trying to find the best price I can cause I'm a cheap skate

I would look at Amazon and eBay. I got my metal one on ebay, and actually found one that was in the USA, so I didn't have to wait for the slow boat from China.

If you get one from Amazon via Amazon Prime you know it's shipping out of the U.S.

Amazon seems to have the best price too. Except bangood but they will probly charge more for shipping

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor