FC40 and a Walkera G2D Gimbal

Reaction score
Guys,
I am going to install a Walkera G2D gimbal on my FCC 40. Besides the power, are there any settings I have to change in the NAZA besides turning Gimbal to on? Forgive me I am brand new to the hobby.

If you want to be able to tilt the camera in flight you need to connect the tilt cable and install the lever or varistor in your remote..

If you just want the gimbal to sit at the one angle and you're not planning on installing a gimbal tilt lever on your transmitter, there's only the power you need to connect and nothing to set in the NAZA. The angle of tilt can be set on the G-2D controller with the supplied plastic screwdriver, and this angle is remembered after power cycling.

It's tricky, yet easy at the same time.
When you get it in your hands and are about to install it, hit this post up again and I will try to get back to you with pictures.

I have the same setup.

Ive got the same setup and have only just installed the gimbal. I will have its first test flight tomorrow. I have also setup tilt successfully . Basically I flicked slide switch (sw) on the walkera to mode 1, turned the V1 adjuster fully (to give max angle or less of a turn to get less angle) and turned Naza gimbal to on but everything at default with 400mhz but Im only guessing this is correct as it was with my previous goodluckbuy gimbal. Don't take my word on that one but perhaps read into it first! Its important to turn the V1 because if you don't the gimbal may not move at all and you may think its not working . Oh yes and tilt wire connects to 'F2' bottom pin on the Naza and on 'pit' closest pin the v1/v2 adjusters on the walkera.

Hope it works for you :)

I set it up and connected everything including the naza f2. The gimbal works great. I have a tilt lever installed but when I try to tilt it doesn't move. On the naza I plugged one wire to the bottom pin and the other to the gimbal tilt pin closest to the v1/v2 knobs. The video is good but he doesn't hook the tilt lever up.
Any suggestions why the tilt lever wouldn't work. Like I said the gimbal does great but no action from tilt lever.

Pictures of your set up would be great. By the way I know the lever is engaging with the pot in the Tx

I just got my Walkera g-2d. I have watched the videos and read some post but I just hoping for some clarification. I installed the tilt lever on my transmitter. I know I need to connect one of the included cables from the pitch on Walkera to the F2 on the NAZA. Do I need to connect the other one to the Roll on the Walkera? If so which port do I connect it to on the NAZA?

you need to use all 3 wires. Just one wont work for some reason.

Also, you will have to play with the numbers for pitch (Max/Center/Min)

There are no set numbers that work. The gimbal is really finicky and even when it does work, its more along the lines of having a little movement on the stick making the pitch move A LOT or a lot of movement on the stick making the pitch move a little.

BTW, I'm using the 3Axis walkera gimbal now. Same deal.

Also in the naza assistant:
Under Basic > RC > you need to calibrate the X1 stick

Ok, I installed everything, powered everything up and connected to software. I enabled the Gimbal. I tried to calibrate the X1 stick but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I adjust the V1 and the camera stopped shaking as if it were having a seizure (jellowing?) It now sits there pointing up. When I adjust the lever on the transmitter the gimbal starts wigging out and points down then snaps back up again repeatedly. It also starts rolling left and right. I am using the FC40 camera with some zipties. I also added 20grams of weight. Any suggestions?

ChrisV said:
Ok, I installed everything, powered everything up and connected to software. I enabled the Gimbal. I tried to calibrate the X1 stick but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I adjust the V1 and the camera stopped shaking as if it were having a seizure (jellowing?) It now sits there pointing up. When I adjust the lever on the transmitter the gimbal starts wigging out and points down then snaps back up again repeatedly. It also starts rolling left and right. I am using the FC40 camera with some zipties. I also added 20grams of weight. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you'll need to adjust the gains. I'm sorry I have a Tarot with a GoPro so I can't really help you, but I would assume there are a few youtube videos on the subject.

When you connected the gimbal, what was the position of the lever on the transmitter? Was it centered OR was the lever on the transmitter rotated to one end. If it was at one end the gimbal might be trying to correct. Also, how close to the weight of FC40 camera and weights compare with the Gopro?

The gopro weighs 74g. I re-evaluated the weight was able to rig up the camera to mach that of the gopro. It doesn't seem to be as jerky, but I am having a hard time tuning it in despite turning it on with the lever in the middle position I have messed with the v1 and v2 adjustment on the gimbal. On the software under the gain controlls everything is set for "INH" and at 125% except for yaw and vertical which is set for 100%. I have plugged in all kinds of different numbers to no avail.

When the phantom is stationary the camera sits still and I can control it with the lever. If move the phantom just a couple of inches the gimbal seems to hold its position. Once I start moving the phantom more than a couple of inches and the camera pivots to the stopping point which is only at about a 45degree angle down from straight ahead, the gimbal starts acting crazy and starts snapping up and down and side to side.

dragonash said:

There are no set numbers that work. The gimbal is really finicky and even when it does work, its more along the lines of having a little movement on the stick making the pitch move A LOT or a lot of movement on the stick making the pitch move a little.

For pitch you only need one wire as explained

FC40 Pilot said:
dragonash said:

For pitch you only need one wire as explained

im telling you, these crappy walkera gimbals are finicky. Mine and a few others would not work with just one wire for some reason.

Could be different controller boards. There just isnt good QA on these things

Got mine off eBay for £61 which I thought was pretty good. Just connected the pitch tilt control tonight, using only one wire which appears to be working fine. Tomorrow I plan to install a tilt pot on the RC.

Thought I'd add to the discussion here.

Are all sellers the same:
I ordered a G2D and when it arrived (from a Jersey UK based seller) it was broken and missing a cable.
It took about a week of emails before I eventually got them to take the return and give me a refund.

I ordered a new one from another seller for 60 odd pounds. This seller claimed to be in the UK too, but was actually in China or somewhere else. The delivery promised a few days but took over two weeks.

However - it arrived today and plugs in easily and works straight out of the box. I needed to solder a jst plug onto the aux cable to get power to it and haven't yet hooked up a pitch control. I did need to put an extra weigtht (about 7g in the form of a large screw) on the side of my camera to help balance it. I'm delighted with it so far.

D.

dragonash - in one of your posts you mentioned you needed to set the pitch values correctly in order to get it to work.

Last night I decided top open up the quad and hook up the pitch wires. They run from F2 into the pitch slot on the Walkera. The Gimbal toggle is turned on in the Naza. When I adjust the screw in the back of the remote I can see the x1 (I think it was x1 anyway) moving with the modified values.

Yet - the gimbal doesn't move.

Any thoughts on what I am missing ? What values did you use for the pitch control min, max etc in Naza ?

Cheers - D.

ChrisV said:
The gopro weighs 74g. I re-evaluated the weight was able to rig up the camera to mach that of the gopro. It doesn't seem to be as jerky, but I am having a hard time tuning it in despite turning it on with the lever in the middle position I have messed with the v1 and v2 adjustment on the gimbal. On the software under the gain controlls everything is set for "INH" and at 125% except for yaw and vertical which is set for 100%. I have plugged in all kinds of different numbers to no avail.

When the phantom is stationary the camera sits still and I can control it with the lever. If move the phantom just a couple of inches the gimbal seems to hold its position. Once I start moving the phantom more than a couple of inches and the camera pivots to the stopping point which is only at about a 45degree angle down from straight ahead, the gimbal starts acting crazy and starts snapping up and down and side to side.

I haven't gotten the pitch control to work properly yet but when I first plugged in the unit and taped my FC40 camera to it I saw the same behavior. I taped a 7g screw onto the outer side of the camera to help balance the weight and the gimble is now holding the camera perfectly, very quiet, no juddering etc. Just haven't gotten that pitch working yet :)

I finally have it working OKAY. I added 3 metal plates adding a total weight of about 36 grams to the FC-40 camera. I see a lot of people only had to add a small ammount of weight but that did not work for me. I got rid of the shaking and it seems to work okay, however, I am still having problems with the camera snapping back when the quad bank hard causing the gimbal to reach its maximum throw. This isn't very often. Only happens when I am at full speed and try to stop on a dime pulling back. I adjusted all kinds of numbers for the gains in the software. I'm not really sure what I did but but the numbers are all over the place. Here is a picture of the camera.

By the way, I am using Pulse 2700mah 25C batteries. Yesterday I had a flight with the gimbal where I did a lot of full speed forward flight back and forth. I only got about 6 minutes out of the battery. Without the gimbal and easy flying I was getting about 15 minutes.

Here is a picture of the camera.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 1,085

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik