***FAVORITE Phantom 2 MODS***

Reaction score
Hey guys I made a thread on the Phantom Owners Page so I thought I'd share it with you guys :)

People ask all the time what are the most effective yet simple mods for the Phantom 2 apart from basic things like balancing props and such.

The first and most obvious is the landing gear that constantly gets in the frame when people shoot too wide. Easy fix for this is to cut the gear before after the 90 degree angel and support the remaining gear with about 2-3in off of the part you cut off, for extra support.

Second would apply if you do not want to invest in an ND filter to get rid of prop shadows in your video that give that rolling shutter effect. You can literally cut the bottom of a generic plastic drinking cup and make an effective sun shade. Just secure with a small hair rubber band and you're good to go.

Third is for the flimsy little ribbon that connect your GoPro. If you tend to break this a lot just peel back the H3-3D cover tape to give it some slack and you will greatly reduce this problem!

The fourth is probably my favorite because it virtually eliminate all jello even if you do not balance your props. Go down to the your local hardware store, purchase some small 6 or 8mm hollow tubing. You can usually find it in the plumbing section but if not I found that gas line tube works fine also. Cut 4- 1inch pieces and shove them into the bottom of each dampener then secure with zip ties. Make sure the gimbal has enough clearance to go through its full range of motion.

And the last and most common is purchasing an ND filter. It slows down your shutter speed which in return will, in most cases, completely eliminate jello as well as prop shadows in your video.

Hope this helps! If you have any handy tips you think have helped you in anyway be sure to share!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 7.09.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 7.09.34 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,865
Reactions: slomarc and Farmer
Re: Favorite Phantom 2 Mod

I didn't provide a picture of what the gimbal dampener mod looks like so here it is

Attachments

• photo7.JPG
    photo7.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,781
Reactions: _krausey_
That landing gear mod is very interesting. Is there a thread with more info (not about how to do it, but just curious about your and others' experience with stability with this mod).

Regarding the flimsy ribbon cable, that is easily fixed by upgrading to the GoPro bus connector. I just did mine in about 10 minutes with a $14 kit from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GoPro-Outpu ... 3a9bf3bde0

LuRoyale. Thanks for sharing.

I dont think I will do this mod this way. As if I dont have enough problems with camera/gimbal clearance already ...

"note that the naturally poorer stability leads to a slight decrease in [height of] the front of the copter. This would not be so bad, [if] this would not mean that the gimbal touches the ground and can no longer be calibrated free at power up. I have therefore increased adhesive feet used, which also have a wider contact surface. Alternatively, the ends several times wrap with duct tape until the desired thickness is achieved."
:?

Why is it that all the good mods are always in other languages :( Didn't think about doing both legs but 18g! holy cow I'm def going to saw of my other haha. Thanks for sharing as well

Hughie said:
dptcalvin said:
That landing gear mod is very interesting. Is there a thread with more info (not about how to do it, but just curious about your and others' experience with stability with this mod).

I found this double amputation, worth 18g.
You may or maynot need google translate.

Interesting though.

http://labemi.com/dji-phantom-landegest ... ifikation/

Edit: Translated
https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... edit-text=

I love the way the translated version calls the Phantom a "Ghost" :D

That doesn't seem like a very good idea. If you landed harder for whatever reason, the GoPro/Zenmuse will be hit first.

Fyod said:
That doesn't seem like a very good idea. If you landed harder for whatever reason, the GoPro/Zenmuse will be hit first.

I agree fully with Fyod. Cutting both legs could cost upwards of $900 on a hard landing.

I think its mad too. Especially as the gimbal/camera height is lowered slightly. As if it isnt low enough already,

I am working on a mod for the P2NV (because that's the only model I have to test with) that was inspired by SpikeFinch. (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23497&hilit=SpikeFinch)

The mod would provide a variable yaw rate with no soldering required. Basically, it's a PCB that goes between the controller PCB and the left joystick. The throttle lines go straight through, but the yaw lines allow for a dual-gang variable resistor to be plugged in, a bypass switch, and a trimpot to correct for any asymmetry in the two potentiometers.

I have a prototype PCB designed and will be getting a couple of boards made for my use. Is there any interest among Phantom flyers that I should shop for a larger production run?

Yaw%20Mod%20PCB%20Layout.jpg

Hi Steve,
will it be adjustable from the outside or rather preset and closed inside?
Are there any problems with the side/side asymmetry as someone mentioned in the thread?
I think I would take one if you're willing to ship over the Europe (couple bucks USPS'd).

Cheers!

if you support it diagonally on the right angle with some left over landing gear that you cutoff, it won't ever touch the ground. This is a mod for more experienced pilots. If you're experienced you shouldn't be hitting the ground to be begin with.

Reactions: _krausey_
Fyod said:
Hi Steve,
will it be adjustable from the outside or rather preset and closed inside?
Are there any problems with the side/side asymmetry as someone mentioned in the thread?
I think I would take one if you're willing to ship over the Europe (couple bucks USPS'd).
Cheers!
You would need to drill holes for the Yaw Rate pot and the bypass switch. The trimpot on the board is used to trim out the left/right asymmetry. It's still in the design phase but I suspect in my bench measurements that the L/R asymmetry comes from the differences in the two ganged pots. For a 10K set, one of them may be 5% low and the other 5% high (and still meet the manufacturers spec), which adds up to a 10% difference at one extreme or the other.

LuRoyale said:
if you support it diagonally on the right angle with some left over landing gear that you cutoff, it won't ever touch the ground. This is a mod for more experienced pilots. If you're experienced you shouldn't be hitting the ground to be begin with.

That depends what you are landing on. Even landing on grass can bury the bottom part of the gimbal, so it is nothing to do with hitting the ground. The author explains that this mod reduces the height of the front end which makes these matters worse. I agree about the supporting, however, I believe there is a better way of doing that rather than using a diagonal support.

I think experienced users will invest in better landing gear, not hack up the old legs and add tape balls for support.
The leg-in-shot was cured a long time ago anyways. You are not solving anything with that mod, just making things more vulnerable to damage.

Reactions: Andy Ritchie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT