FAA say yes to small drones..

Reactions: BigAl07
Alright guys. Lets lower the aggression level in here. JKD, you can be spirited, so I am sure Dirkclod was referring to that. Lets just drop it return to the topic of the story.

So to be clear, the topic of the story only, nothing more, its over, were moving on. ;)

Last edited:
Alright guys. Lets lower the aggression level in here. JKD, you can be confrontational so I am sure Dirkclod was referring to that. Lets just drop it return to the topic of the story. So to be clear, the topic of the story only, nothing more, its over, were moving on. ;)
I stayed out of this.
I agree. We need to move on. Back on topic.
Please.

Lets all think of the brighside here, i think there doing this for big tech companies like Amazon who wants to innovate and get into drone deliveries. And this is good for all of us. And for those questioning if theverge.com is legit site? its a Technology site just like Engadget and the rest of Tech sites out there. And plus they always link were they got the source.

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
they need to allow the use of commercial drone use. It's insane that footage taken from a phantom cannot be used in any format that makes money [without hoops and nonsense to go through]

Reactions: JKDSensei
____________ number of drones / ____________ number of injuries = drones are safer than pencils
I was in 6th grade and this kid named Patrick was irritating this other kid named Mike to the point that Mike couldn't take it anymore, so Mike punched Patrick in the stomach. Problem is, Mike had a pencil in his fist at the time (lead pointing up) and as he punched, Patrick lowered his face down and got stabbed in the cheek drawing blood. Yeah Mike got in big trouble.

So do we outlaw pencils? No, but we have to be thoughtful and careful with them and remember they are potentially dangerous.

Agreed. There has been a great deal of unnecessary hysteria over drones. Collectively, we should be questioning this and the government's response to the "Phantom" threat.....no pun intended.....but pretty good cliche if I say so myself. lol

And I say it's about time! I've just about quit flying because of all the **** rules and hysteria. I imagine there are many more like me, too! They need to turn the hell loose of this technology and let it run!

This is hardly a newsworthy breakthrough. We are allowed to fly drones that weigh less than .55 lbs within 500ft of populated areas (around people).

Think about that and remember the Phantom weighs between 3-4lbs. Also think about that within 500ft. We are advised to stay under 400ft in altitude but we can't be within 500ft of people? How **** convienant for the FAA.

I dunno about you but when's the last time you flew where there wasn't anyone within a 500ft radius (a bubble, up/down/left/right/front/back) of the P3 at all times?

To be honest this is the first I have heard of the 500ft deal?

This is hardly a newsworthy breakthrough. We are allowed to fly drones that weigh less than .55 lbs within 500ft of populated areas (around people).

Think about that and remember the Phantom weighs between 3-4lbs. Also think about that within 500ft. We are advised to stay under 400ft in altitude but we can't be within 500ft of people? How **** convienant for the FAA.

I dunno about you but when's the last time you flew where there wasn't anyone within a 500ft radius (a bubble, up/down/left/right/front/back) of the P3 at all times?

To be honest this is the first I have heard of the 500ft deal?
Are we reading the same story?! The "proposed" change of rules is a HUGE break from current recommendations!

"................. The report argues that drones that weigh 250 grams (about half a pound) or less should be allowed to fly with no restrictions, as they don't pose a serious risk. Drones that weigh four to five pounds, a class that includes most of the camera drones we review on The Verge, would be allowed to fly over populated areas and even over crowds, but would have to maintain a greater distance from people, staying at least twenty feet above or 10 feet away......"

FAA committee says small drones should be allowed to fly over cities and crowds

So..basically the guy who flew the "Drone into the Empire State" building while trying to get video would be perfectly OK to do so if the rules change since his drone was like a Syma X5? Suppose the only thing they could bust him on is the lack of a 333 if he decided to use it in his film.

Makes sense why the cops didn't care when he asked if they would let him (after seeing the thing). You all remember...the sensationalized story that became a Phantom hitting the side of the building at like the 40th story when it was really a 100 gram quad hitting it at the 4th story?

Yes, but also our Phantoms too! I mean, these things are meant for cool crowd shots, events, etc. To only have to stay above people at 20' feet and away from them by 10' feet is great! Right now, it's "never" over people, especially crowds!

Every day. But that doesn't matter.

The correct word is "crowds." Not people.

There is no rule against flying over people. We can fly over people.

There is, however, vagueness on the definition of "crowd."

Ask him
View attachment 49710 You really want to go there

Well because of children, we should all just stop driving right now. Oh and stop chopping the vegetables for tonights dinner. Don't you dare throw that dart at that board. Target practice, not on my watch. Don't go down those stairs, they are steep. Stay away from that wet bathtub. I'm mean really? Accicents are always sad especially for children. But, I was not coddled as a child and I had very few accidents, but I did get my share and I'm still alive today. Lets be realistic and think before we ban everything we enjoy.

Reactions: Tim in Florida
The FAA is moving in the right direction and that is a good thing. Best the check the FAA website to verify too.

Reactions: Tim in Florida
Well because of children, we should all just stop driving right now. Oh and stop chopping the vegetables for tonights dinner. Don't you dare throw that dart at that board. Target practice, not on my watch. Don't go down those stairs, they are steep. Stay away from that wet bathtub. I'm mean really? Accicents are always sad especially for children. But, I was not coddled as a child and I had very few accidents, but I did get my share and I'm still alive today. Lets be realistic and think before we ban everything we enjoy.
Clint headshake.gif

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl