FAA say yes to small drones..

Is this confirmed? I'm not familiar with the Verge as a news source.
If it's true, what does this say about all those who have adamantly maintained that all who flies a Phantom near people are idiots?

Reactions: Droner412
Now if they would get off their STUPID asses and do away with 333 Exemption and begin 107 program. Thousands of people and Billions of dollars are waiting on you, FAA.

Reactions: Gpanek
Easy to check. Go to the FAA website. They have all the latest news there.

If it's true, what does this say about all those who have adamantly maintained that all who flies a Phantom near people are idiots?
Ask him
sliced eye.jpg
You really want to go there

Ask him
View attachment 49710 You really want to go there

Death and injury is sadly a fact of life, everything brings risks. Truth of the matter is a nap is much more dangerous for a baby than a drone...

If they're so dangerous why do some of you own them? Maybe they're dangerous in your experience simply because you're not responsible enough??

Hey I'm all for us being able to fly but flying around people and over when something can and does happen and I
do know I still say in a lot of cases the operator's are wrong .
Seeing that when it happened changed the whole way I do fly .

Reactions: BRENTHABBESHAW
I totally understand dirkclod's point. However, something tells me that poor little boy was close to some idiot with a drone. Flying it inside with kids around, trying to buzz his friends, some stupidity like that. I highly doubt it was what we would call a responsible drone pilot. If a trained drone pilot flies a quad over a concert crowd, could it crash and hurt someone? Absolutely. Likelihood? Slim. There's also a real chance that a 747 piloted by an expert with 10,000 hours experience could do the exact same thing. Which, by the way, we have plenty of examples of plane crashes maiming & killing thousands. No matter where you go or what activity involved you'll have some idiot who will inadvertantly hurt a poor little kid By acting stupid.

Reactions: Tim in Florida
This is the second big set of recommendations from an FAA working group. The first, which dealt with how to register drones, was introduced November of 2015. A month later the FAA implemented rules that closely followed those suggestions. If that trend continues, we may be able to fly small drones over cities by this summer, a major shift from the current environment, in which all flight over populated areas is frowned upon by the FAA.

And I say it's about time! I've just about quit flying because of all the **** rules and hysteria. I imagine there are many more like me, too! They need to turn the hell loose of this technology and let it run!

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
I totally understand dirkclod's point. However, something tells me that poor little boy was close to some idiot with a drone. Flying it inside with kids around, trying to buzz his friends, some stupidity like that. I highly doubt it was what we would call a responsible drone pilot. If a trained drone pilot flies a quad over a concert crowd, could it crash and hurt someone? Absolutely. Likelihood? Slim. There's also a real chance that a 747 piloted by an expert with 10,000 hours experience could do the exact same thing. Which, by the way, we have plenty of examples of plane crashes maiming & killing thousands. No matter where you go or what activity involved you'll have some idiot who will inadvertantly hurt a poor little kid By acting stupid.
No Gary it was an accident and a bad one for that kid and the pilot .
Here it is . Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller - BBC News
I keep that picture on my desk top and I will not never put myself in his shoes nor do I think anyone here would .
I have a 1 year old that's with me every time I fly which is almost everyday .
It's a sore subject with me and should have just stayed out of this .
Was my bad :)

No Gary it was an accident and a bad one for that kid and the pilot .
Here it is . Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller - BBC News
I keep that picture on my desk top and I will not never put myself in his shoes nor do I think anyone here would .
I have a 1 year old that's with me every time I fly which is almost everyday .
It's a sore subject with me and should have just stayed out of this .
Was my bad :)

Oh no Bro, not stay out of it. I value your opinion and insight in many threads here. The point I am making is this... I am TOTALLY afraid of driving through a town/congested area and have some small child go out in front of me and I won't be able to stop in time. Wasn't my fault, totally unavoidable, but I would be devasted if that happened to me. So yes, I drive pretty carefully because of that paranoia. Unfortunately, some poor little kid probably gets hit by a car somewhere in the world, every day. We are accountable for how we act and conduct ourselves but **** still happens. I actually had just read that same article just before you posted it here. It did sound like an accident and the drone pilot sounds absolutely devastated.

I understand your point I do . That really did hit close to home with me and I just fly in the country now .
Like I said though I shouldn't have just jumped in but I get crazy sometimes with my views . I really do try
and stay out of a lot of this .
I do funny's better ,I just keep seeing that kid in mind .:)

Last edited:
I understand your point I do . That really did hit close to home with me and I just fly in the country now .
Like I said though I shouldn't have just jumped in but I get crazy sometimes with my views . I really do try
and stay out of a lot of this .
I do funny's better ,I just keep seeing that kid in mine .:)
I get your feeling to though. I naturally thought that to hit a little boy with a drone, something irresponsible had to be going on. But it sounds like it was just more of a fluke than an idiot mistake. It actually got me thinking about how that happened and how I would try to prevent it if I'm in a similar situation.

Reactions: dirkclod
Ask him
View attachment 49710 You really want to go there

Ask HIM?
uh...yeah...I'll "go there"

What part of "accident" don't you understand? Accidents happen and this was one. We ALL feel badly for this child.
I don't think anyone on this forum wishes this didn't happen.....but the fact remains that thousands of children injure their eyes every year through various means and this was just one.
This accident is no more proof that drones should be kept away from people than an accident involving texting proves cars should be kept away from cell phone owners.

I don't care WHAT activity you talk about whether it's driving, eating, boating, cooking or flying a drone, there's always the possibility for injury.

Use common sense and especially consider who's around. But don't let the world end.
I pray for the child's recovery.

Just one more reason I strongly advocate FOR prop guards....not only to protect the Phantom....
I wouldn't object to PERMANENT, non removable safety halos around ALL drone props.

Last edited:
And I say it's about time! I've just about quit flying because of all the **** rules and hysteria. I imagine there are many more like me, too! They need to turn the hell loose of this technology and let it run!

NOPE...you're the ONLY one !

Reactions: snerd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic